There is talk the Warriors may trade, among others, Monta Ellis to the Knicks for David Lee.

Please no. Please don’t do this.

The Warriors, in case you forgot, are a team that cannot play defense. David Lee is a power forward/sometime center who cannot play defense. Put those two flammable ingredients together and you have a disaster.

Lee is soft. Even the Warriors score against Lee. He is what the Warriors do not want. If you don’t believe me, remind yourself defense won the NBA championship this season.

Larry Riley, a nice man trying to establish his credentials as a GM, needs to go away. He needs to take a trip to Costa Rica or some out of the way place. He needs to stop making phone calls and intruding himself in Warriors’ business which very shortly may not be his business. He should do NOTHING until the team gets sold.

The new owner may actually like Monta Ellis. The new owner may be sane and dislike the idea of David Lee. Riley needs to cool his jets and the Warriors don’t need Lee.

Comments

1. oldskoolballa

I couldn’t agree with you more, Monta for David Lee is not an equitable deal. In addition, if the Warriors made this bad trade what are they going to do with four “4′s” in Lee, Randolph, Wright and Udoh?

July 5th, 2010 9:10 pm

2. Doc K

David Lee solves a rebounding problem the Warriors have. Last time I checked, Monta Ellis didn’t solve the rebounding problem or the defense problem. Last time I checked, no forward or center last year didn’t solve the rebounding problem.

Matt Steinmetz disagrees that David Lee can’t play defense. I suggest you read it.

July 5th, 2010 9:11 pm

3. OaktownWarriors

If I remember correctly, the trade would involve Ellis along with either Randolph or Biedrins. While Lee would provide the W’s will great in the paint and elbow scoring and rebounding, he’s not the best defender. Lee can play good team defense, but his one on one in the paint “D”, is pretty bad! I wouldn’t conduct this trade. Let’s see what Biedrins, Turiaf, Randolph, Wright, and Udoh can do this season. Go W’s!

July 6th, 2010 10:16 am

4. Bob In Pacifica

I’d just hope the Warrior brass would spend less time dealing away their talent and more time getting the sale of the team done. It would be nice to start the season with a new owner, GM and coach.

July 6th, 2010 10:43 am

5. GregC

The fact is, David Lee is better than any big man the Warriors have now. Monta Ellis is good, but I believe we Warriors fans may overvalue him a bit. Getting an All-Star Power forward for him and spare parts may not bee too bad.

As far as Larry Riley. I’m sure has got to be getting some direct or indirect prompts from ALL the potential owners about roster moves

July 6th, 2010 12:20 pm

6. Rummy Dummy

Changey fe changey, black dog fe monkey. This trade does nothing to alter the suckitude of the Warriors, though it would be fun to count the number of times Lee gets scorch defensively each game.

July 6th, 2010 2:30 pm

7. John

David Lee plays little defense, he averages 1 block shot per week. I seen him play up close against the Warriors and Warriors were going around him like his feet were screwed to the ground

July 6th, 2010 6:47 pm