Alex Smith is still the 49ers quarterback. That’s what Mike Singletary just said in his weekly presser which just ended. Singletary asserted he sees something in Smith and Smith’s teammates believe in him.

I believe Smith can do many good things but when the game gets stressful he makes dreadful mistakes. I do not believe a QB can outgrow or unlearn this bad tendency. I used to think the Nate Davis advocates were the lunatic fringe. Call me a lunatic.

I do not believe Smith will work out well. I do not believe David Carr or Troy Smith will, either. I think Singletary should give Davis a chance. With the other 3 guys Singletary is merely treading water until he gets fired. With Davis he at least is seeing if this raw kid has what it takes going forward into the future.

Singletary should have had a better backup to Smith to begin with.  Not having one is another mistake he made.

Comments

1. John

Jed York says the Niners will make the playoffs. They’ll need to go 9-2 or 10-1 for the remainder of the season. Singletary thinks they’re the best team among the teams they’ve played also. This gives me great reassurance as a Niner fan

October 11th, 2010 3:45 pm

2. Stevo

Mr. Cohn – Your are slowly becoming what Kawakami was to Cohan. A median thorn on the side of this incompetent management and the house of cards that the Niners have built for themselves that we see crashing before our very eyes. Bravo!

October 11th, 2010 3:49 pm

Kind of contradicting yourself Lowell, you said many time that Davis is not ready to be a QB, has not worked hard enough blah blah blah, but I am one of the Davis supporters and he should be given a chance before Ding a ling gets fired.

October 11th, 2010 4:22 pm

4. Mitch

Then why do his team mates vouch for him. You should get rid of the whole team if his own Back and Tight End want him to stay.

October 11th, 2010 4:24 pm

alex smith is not a winning NFL quarterback and Coach Singletary is not a winning NFL Coach…period…end of sentence…
    Gore and Davis have no idea what they’re talking about…they like alex smith…wonderful…I’ve heard he’s very likeable fellow…
    THEIR JOB IS TO WIN!!!
    But none of them know that because their boss is an incompetent teenage brat who likes to pretend he’s important…
    If only the Raiders could stop the run…

October 11th, 2010 4:41 pm

No that it means much but. Mike Strahan on FOX sports said he KNOWS that the 49ers could have had McNabb for a fourth round draft choice.
    Singletary chose Alex. You know,maybe in the long run its all Vernon Davis’s fault. Since his turn around..it seemed to validate Singletarys opinion of himself-he can do miracles with faith.

October 11th, 2010 4:55 pm

Another it might not mean much..How smart does that NFL scout who appeared on Comcast and said pre season-Alex Smith is not a winner. He even thought Nate Davis was the best QB on the team. Papa and all the others like Ratto were dumbfounded.
    Who’s laughing last now?

October 11th, 2010 4:59 pm

And finally-I wish my really old posts were still on Gate. When Singletary announced last year early-Gore would be his big back..I said, Gore can’t handle that. I know that the more he runs,he gets tired and he fumbles or gets hurt.
    See,what gets me -from Smith to Gore or even Martz and Hill,we all know what they can do. But,Singletary despite being a 49er assistant coach TWO years before being hired as HC,has gone on like he saw nothing,learned nothing. I think he and Jed have a kinship that way…

October 11th, 2010 5:05 pm

9. TommyCostaRica

Pope Sing Song ridiculed Nate Davis during and after the Monday night game. I think he is not man enough to bring him back now. It’s unfortunate because I think you are right Lowell and that developing Davis would really be a great story. The whole Monday night crew was totally wide eyed about Davis, they loved him. And then nobody picked him up on wavers and I don’t understand that. So now there’s no backup plan? I know the Dorks suck as owners but if they could only make a statement, fire the Pope and let someone else tinker with their toy.

October 11th, 2010 5:45 pm

10. Jerry Routh

Could you please ask Eddie D what the problem is with The niner`s? I am sure in will say Sing IT`S OUT OF HERE. Niner fan jR

October 11th, 2010 6:48 pm

11. Lo Sconscuito

What do you expect his teammates to say, Mitch? If the say he sucks, they’re undercutting their QB and, more importantly, their meglomaniacal coach. So of course they endorse the current starting QB, no matter how clear it is to the rest of the world that any forward movement by this team is the galvanic responses of a corpse.

October 11th, 2010 6:55 pm

12. SantaRosaTony

You must be joking. Davis demonstrated he is not up the NFL level, cannot learn a playbook, cannot inspire confidence. Replacing Smith with Davis is absurd, and I wonder how you came up with that silly idea. Called grasping at straws, I guess, but Davis is not now and never will be the answer.

October 11th, 2010 7:39 pm

13. PhD

Yes, Smith has done so well, delivering all the wins, that replacing him with Davis would be out and out absurd. Smith is clearly the answer to why Singletary will soon be gone.

October 11th, 2010 7:54 pm

The irony of Smith talking Singletary into keeping him in the game? Its that he’s fallen for that for almost two years now,is what’s going to cost Singletary his one NFL head coach shot.

GO GIANTS!

October 11th, 2010 8:43 pm

15. KezarMike

I was going to say that we’ll know for sure where the team and Alex are heading after 3 more games, but really, we’ll probably know that after next week’s game. I do think it would be a total waste of this team’s future to play Carr (or Troy Smith). Either Alex has “found himself” and is on his way or you see what Nate Davis can do in a real game. But I think Singletary is WAY too conservative to make a move like this.

October 11th, 2010 9:43 pm

16. Duck Soup

Coach Sing. Please read the comment from KezarMike, Please start Nate Davis next week. We want to see if this kid can take this team to another level. If not, It doesn’t hurt to put in David Carr or Troy
    Smith. But if you are still in denial stage and continue to play Alex Smith, the fans will also like it, Because this will be our ticket to get the 1st pick next year to draft Andrew Luck from Stanford.

October 12th, 2010 12:11 am

17. Wilson

Lowell, let me make a suggestion, and see if you want to relay it to Mike Johnson or Jed York or your good buddy Mike Singletary. Activate Nate Davis and make him second QB. Have him practice something around 10 or 15 specific plays so that he knows them without question. Bring him in at QB much like the wildcat formation is used – for a play here and there, or for a series, or – if he really sparks the team – more. That way, not knowing the full playbook would not be a problem, and we’d get a chance to see what the kid can do against live bullets. If nothing else, if he fails, it would shut up a lot of obnoxious Nate boosters like myself.

October 12th, 2010 12:15 am

18. PhD

Bringing Nate off the PS would be too much of a threat to the fragile coddle boy Alex Smith. That’s why Davis is there now. Singletary felt like he was the all knowing, could do no wrong, motivational speaker after his heady 4 – 0 preseason and the last person he wanted around was someone that could potentially play better than Smith who he’d already decided was so intelligent he couldn’t fail. Rule number one, which is taking Dumbletary a full year to learn is intelligence doesn’t mean anything if you can’t win games or at the very least not lose games for the team. And anyway, when and if the lesson is finally learned, it will be way too late.

October 12th, 2010 1:47 am

19. Jack Stewart

I haven’t checked, but I get the feeling that when Alex has his biggest problems is in the middle of games, not when the game is “on the line” as much. The big problem is the team gets in a hole because of all of the mid-game turnovers, and then he nearly brings them back, playing much better when we’re in a hole. I’m not an Alex supporter, but I don’t think it’s those kinds of pressure situations when he has his biggest problems.

October 12th, 2010 11:31 pm