Bernard Hopkins used to be a great fighter but he’s not a great thinker.

He said Manny Pacquiao is ducking Floyd Mayweather Jr. in particular and blacks in general. He said a black fighter with a black style — whatever that is — could beat Pacquiao. Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis are black. Do they have the same style?

Hmm. For starters, if a white fighter said Pacquiao is ducking whites you can bet the press and many fans would call that white figher a racist for what he said. If that’s the case, and I’m sure it is, tell me why Hopkins does not qualifiy as a racist for saying what he said. I do not understand why he needs to bring race into thisĀ  issue.

Something else. I used to think Mayweather would beat Pacquiao — too big, clever and fast. I don’t think that anymore. In spite of what Hopkins says it is Mayweather who is doing the ducking. Pacquiao has agreed to Olympic style blood testing to be cut off 7 days before the fight. That seems fair to me.

It’ s not good enough for Mayweather. He keeps insisting on more conditions. Maybe he wants testing between rounds. In my years covering boxing — many — I have learned that the fighter who keeps making conditions is the fighter who does not want to fight. That is Mayweather.

I believe he has a doubt about his ability to beat Pacquiao. If he loses to Pacquiao he loses his identity — no longer undefeated, no longer the best fighter in the world. Mayweather cares about money and fame but he does not like fight. He fights reluctantly. Look at any of his fights and you see that.

So, no, I don’t think he can beat Pacquiao because he doesn’t think he can beat Pacquiao. And I sure don’t believe Pacquiao is ducking him. Final note. This whole discussion is moot if Mayweather ends up in the slammer.

Comments

Pretty obvious this is gutter thinking to make Pacquiao’s victorys as tainted. When anybody with a brain knows he’s taking on the best he can find..the rest hide from him. It’s a no win and racist argument full of baiting. Yet,Mayweather sounds to me like he’s frightened of the dark. Whistleing insults..and keeping his signature off of any contracts to fight.
    If they never fight..that’s a Manny victory. If they fight-it’s a Manny beating for Mayweather.

November 18th, 2010 11:45 pm

2. latopia

Nice call LC.

Mayweather’s dope-testing demand is just the latest chapter of fights-that-never-were. Remember Mayweather’s guarantee demand regarding Margarito and Cotto a few years back?

Otherwise I do believe “ducking” IS on Mayweather’s mind. If it’s yellow, quacks, waddles away from danger, it must be … Floyd Mayweather.

November 19th, 2010 1:41 am

3. Brady

I find it ironic that Pacquiao is accused of being a racist, when little was made of the hugely racist terms Mayweather called Pacquiao in that public video a month back.

Calling Pacquiao racist for the reasons Hopkins stated is as bad as the claim that Mike Shanahan is racist for benching McNabb.

November 19th, 2010 2:07 am

If Mayweather does fight Pacquiao, it’ll be when Pacquiao is past his prime.
    Mayweather won’t fight him right now because he knows that for the first time in his illustrious career he has a good chance of getting beat and he wants to protect that big goose egg he has in the loss column.
    I can’t say I blame him.
    Pacquiao is the real deal.
    All this racist crap is just that–crap.
    It’s there simply to devert attention from what’s real.
    And what’s real is that Mayweather is scared.

One more thing…I think we should stop calling boxers ‘fighters’.
    Yes, they do fight.
    But I think that in this day and age, mixed-martial artists more closely fit the definition of fighters.
    Boxers box–plain and simple.
    Come on over to MMA Lowell.
    You won’t be disappointed.
    ~ALOHA~

November 19th, 2010 5:09 pm

5. mmadoc

Bernard Hopkins, what were you smoking and/or drinking?
    Manny ducks no one. Floyd is showing a modeset yellow streak
    here.
    Other than Floyd and Bernard both being black, no race issues
    involved :)

November 19th, 2010 7:57 pm

6. jim bancroft

Lowell, great stuff here. In my opinion there’s not enough writing about boxing, especially compared to the 1920s-70s when it was right up there with football and baseball. (Heck, even before that, when John Sullivan was doing bare-knuckle bouts.)

One question if I may Lowell: where do you see Joe Calzaghe historically? I really enjoyed the fight he and Mikkel Kessler had a couple of years ago. Again, if it was fought in 1973 it would have been on ABC and not PPV.

November 20th, 2010 1:41 am