I keep reading Frank Gore broke his hip and is out for the season. Singletary has his presser later this morning which I’ll attend. I expect we’ll all get the facts then.

If this news is accurate, it’s a shame for Gore — great competitor, apparently a good guy. The team won’t be as good without him, not that it’s good to begin with.

One thing you can’t do. If the Niners don’t make the playoffs you can’t blame it on Gore’s absence. They had Gore when they lost their first five games. They had Gore when they got into this hole. Put blame where it belongs — owner, coach, offensive coordinator.

Comments

I have said all along-you cant pound Gore play after play.He gets hurt or tires and fumbles. And so, he is now hurt with a career threatening injurie. That’s on Singeltary. He had Westbrook,he chose instead to use a small back like Gore as a battering ram-again,mind you with a history of injuries when he’s used too often. Sure Gore is th eprimary back and injuries happen-bu tthis one was predictable as Gore got no relief from Singletarys need to win at all costs…and 4-7 is quite a cost to ruin the man’s career and health needlesly.

November 30th, 2010 1:38 pm

2. Robert

Westbrook was certainly impressive last night. I hope MS and MJ take this opportunity to open up the offense. Sorry for Frank. He is a true warrior and competitor. I was also concerned about overuse as Stan suggested, but this seems to be a rare injury that is hard to predict.

November 30th, 2010 2:33 pm

I feel badly for Frank…
    On a well coached team with an above average quarterback Frank leads the league in all purpose yards and has a clear shot to a ring…
    On this team he’s a 5’7″ battering ram with a 6-10 season…
    NFL running backs don’t come back from fractured hips…good luck Frank and thanks…you’re all heart and an inspiration to the smaller kids everywhere…

November 30th, 2010 2:34 pm

4. byron

Lowell…by winning a meaningless game last night…did we play ourselves out of a pretty good draft spot to land one of the young QB’s available ?? by the time we draft, most likely, Luck, locker and Mallet will be gone. Any comments on that front?

November 30th, 2010 3:57 pm

Lowell, I disagree…….I think the “team” will be better without Gore because they will have to step up and play as a “team”, instead of relying on Gore………one man teams never win, LeBron James in the perfect example……the 49ers record with Gore has been terrible……

November 30th, 2010 4:21 pm

6. Bhall

Gore’s injury is a blessing in disguise. Frank is a great player but the team will now be forced to open the playbook.

November 30th, 2010 4:31 pm

I could not help thinking about what was going through John Gruden’s mind last night as he got a bird’s eye view of the Niners from his MNF broadcast booth. His excitement was palatable as he cracked jokes with Jaws and Mike Tirico. Why? The San Francisco 49ers have lots of talent and potential. For Chuckie it must have seemed like a banquet in waiting.

November 30th, 2010 4:37 pm

yep,Johnc I waited for Gruden to say matter of factly-” hmm What I could with this 49er team..”..lol. I’m still waiting as he just might say it at a future press conference. Never know..

November 30th, 2010 5:07 pm

Let’s add Mike Nolan to the mix,he picks Alex Smith just one awful QB.

November 30th, 2010 5:12 pm

10. mbabco

Hmm, let’s hope they don’t work Westbrook into exhaustion or injury. Here’s what Peter King said today in “Monday Morning Quarteback — Tuesday Edition:”

“Westbrook must be coddled. The 49ers are thrilled to have signed Brian Westbrook for Frank Gore insurance, and well they should be now that Gore has been lost for the year with a broken hip.”
    “Last night in Arizona, Westbrook had 23 carries for 136 yards and was the main reason the Niners got a season-saving win. But there’s one thing about his play I didn’t like. There was too much of it. We all know Westbrook’s shot legs and ankles mean he’s got a finite number of carries left in him. The Niners have to manage those carries very, very carefully. I realize he’d only had five going into last night, but he’s not going to survive many 23-carry games.”
    “With San Francisco having 24-6 lead with 17 minutes left in the game last and Arizona absolutely sputtering offensively, it was time to take Westbrook out and let the bench finish the game. But from there, the Niners handed him the ball for seven rushes — one was called back due to penalty — in trying to run the clock out.”
    “This should be the rule around the 49ers for the rest of the year: Westbrook doesn’t play when the Niners are up by 20 or down by 20 inside of 20 minutes to play. Period. And then pray he survives the next five weeks.”

November 30th, 2010 7:02 pm

Lowell, I meant to say “palpable” not patatable. You can flunk me for poor Enlgish grammar.

November 30th, 2010 7:27 pm

12. Bill of the Ring

Help…I watched ALL of Gores runs before he left the game. Can anyone even surmise when the injury occured…..

Did he really come back in for ONE play? Could he have fractured the hip on that one play after returning from the locker room?

November 30th, 2010 8:06 pm

Bill-according to Papa on Comcast its when Gore did a aerial flip,dive. Best I can tell you.

December 1st, 2010 3:45 pm