I woke up this morning only to read this press release from the Oakland A’s about Lew Wolff wanting to buy the Dodgers:

“There is no truth to this report.  Mr. Wolff has no interest whatsoever in purchasing the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise.  Furthermore, he has no knowledge of the source of any such rumor, and he has informed Major League Baseball and Dodgers ownership of his position.”

First off, I never knew he was rumored to buy the Dodgers. Now that I think about it — too bad. I’d prefer for him to go down there and louse up the Dodgers and run them on the cheap. If he splits maybe the A’s can get a real owner. I’m just saying.

Comments

Lew Wolff is a strange one. All he reads about himself is not what the rich want to see. And Im sure he’s seen he’s not much of an owner as the franchise has fallen to pieces like a slumlords property. And he hates the city the team plays in. He’s the Chris Cohan of baseball.
    Another ~decade before he sells.

January 12th, 2011 10:57 am

2. J Canseco

Lowell, I think it’s easy to “hate” Lew; I think it’s a lot more difficult to really delve into his efforts to keep the team in Oakland (the city made it impossible) and now to keep them in Northern CA. I suggest you spend some time reading the excellent newballpark.org blog to separate truth from fiction. Wolff isn’t a “terrible” owner; he’s just in a very, very difficult spot.

January 12th, 2011 11:09 am

And more strange: Tim Kawakami for saying he knows that Al Davis is angry at not getting Jim Harbaugh. whoa-There’s trying to get into somebodys mindset,and then theres just twisting facts to fit your agenda. Al Davis doesnt hire big names or spend big money on coaches. Harbaugh said he had no contact with the Raiders. I could go on..but a weird one from Tim.
    Then theres usually level headed Gary Peterson lauding Larry Riley for ..doing nothing. Like the Warriors are a mo-sheen? no need to tinker? The Warriors must offer the best perks around to writers…

January 12th, 2011 11:17 am

J,if he’s not bad,he certainly isn’t good…

January 12th, 2011 11:43 am

The A’s announce Lew Wolffe will also not be buying the Mona Lisa,The Golden Gate Bridge,or Never-Never Land. Stay tuned for what else Lew Wolff won’t be buying….

January 14th, 2011 6:28 pm

Stan, you made me laugh. Thanks. We’re babysitting our 9 month old grandson tonight, the first sleepover. I’m exhausted and after a bottle and three books he’s still going strong.

January 14th, 2011 7:16 pm

I’m still confused about A’s ownership…..Lowell, previously you said the Fisher brothers are the primary owners, and Lew Wolff is more of a minority owner and a spokesman for them or figure head for them…or maybe you didn’t say that about Wolff……can you claify Wolff’s exact role with the team………thanks…..

and I agree, Stan is in rare comedic form with his comments here….

January 15th, 2011 2:29 pm

Wolff is the front man. Fishers own most of the team.

January 15th, 2011 3:02 pm