I have a gut feeling about Greg Roman, almost surely the new offensive coordinator at the 49ers. He won’t design the offense by himself — Jim Harbaugh will have lots to say about that — but he’ll probably call most of the plays. And he will assert his point of view and challenge Harbaugh.

This challenge part is important. A good head coach wants assistants who challenge his assumptions and bring new ideas. Mike Singletary did not want this in Jimmy Raye. Singletary was a bad head coach. I can tell you Bill Walsh surrounded himself with the smartest men and they were assertive — Dennis Green, Mike Holmgren etc. There were sparks flying between those guys and that’s why the Niners offense was so good. I believe Harbaugh is trying for that kind of creativity on his staff.

Comments

I hope that Roman can grow and learn and be as good as Holmgren and Shanahan were as offensive coordinators,although you had said that Walsh called all of the offensive plays perhaps Harbaugh should do the same.

January 14th, 2011 1:23 pm

All we can really do is take a “In Jim we trust” attitude. Who knows if college assitants can make the jump? Why would they have been college assistants if they were very talented?

January 14th, 2011 1:27 pm

3. Benny Blanco

Word is coming out that Singletary was a madman behind close doors and it was a lot worse then we ever imagined…

It is such a FRESH BREATH OF AIR seeing Harbaugh do his thing. I know it’s still very early to tell but unlike Singletarys circus of hiring (being turned down) coaches… this staff is taking it’s time, being methodical and being creative in it’s process of putting it’s staff together. I just wish this CBA thing would get resolved so we could get to the season already!!!

January 14th, 2011 1:34 pm

4. B-Rad

Singletary was a bad head coach and , if possible, Raye a worse
    offensive coordinator, but anyone who had looked at his history
    as OC knew that.
    I can just imagine these two stooges sitting in Singletary’s
    office mindlessly, brainlessly trying to pound Singletary’s
    square offensive pegs into the Niners’ (and current NFLs’)
    round holes.
    As unhappy as I was listening to MS’s news conference when
    he became ‘permanent’ head coach and revealed his power
    running philosophy when the 49ers had not a single All-Pro
    offensive lineman and that unhappiness was compounded with
    the hiring of Raye – that’s how hopeful I am now with Harbaugh.

January 14th, 2011 1:55 pm

5. htwaits

I’ve got the same great feeling in my gut!

January 14th, 2011 2:08 pm

Rev Ding a ling Nuthouse Holly Roller Sing was one of the worst hires in the history of the NFL. The man gave York a snow job and he fell for it and I had read rumblings around the league they people in the know were shocked that he was the head coach.

Now lets hope that Harbaugh will be one of the best coaches hired.

January 14th, 2011 2:35 pm

All of this is wonderful and even I’m hopeful about the quality of this staff…of course they still need better offensive players to execute their approach…starting with the quarterback…I still think Kevin Kolb is the only shovel ready guy to institute the Bill Walsh offensive approach…not Vince Young and certainly not mr. carr…

January 14th, 2011 3:18 pm

8. Ringing Bill

Singletary was a bad HEAD coach. I am not sure what he did for the Ravens or what his report card was for the 49ers as their former LB coach.
    Does anyone know of his ability as a position coach?

Also repercussions are bound to happen (David Shaw to Stanford and 49er repercussions). I am surprised that Harbaugh only took TWO former assistants.

January 14th, 2011 4:09 pm

9. Fred

Wow you just got me excited then! As you know I completely agree with your comments. A staff of yes men never works when you need to innovation and creativity.

January 14th, 2011 4:09 pm

10. Byron

Wow…it had been a long time since i had this feeling of comfort, of knowing that everything was being handled by someone that knows what he is doing and getting results without all the drama we had grown so used to see and hear about. This time I am really looking forward to next season, heck even the draft is getting me stoked up.

January 14th, 2011 4:23 pm

11. Ringing Bill

I am wondering if Singletary had any feedback from his days as a Raven LB coach or even his days as a 49er line backers coach?

Also I am surprised Harbaugh only took two coaches from Stanford.

January 14th, 2011 5:04 pm

All the plays are virtually the same.
    Of course, game-planning is essential.
    But as far as the operation of the offense in general, it’s the play-calling that is key.
    Walsh was a master play-caller.
    Is Harbaugh that type…?
    *ALOHA*

January 14th, 2011 5:09 pm

13. sfniner

Benny Blanco….where are you hearing this? I would love to read about the locker room/coaching staff horror stories!

January 14th, 2011 5:29 pm

Speaking of I heard, It’s being said that instead of working on preparing for next weeks game,Singletary had loaded his office with excercise machines and would work out.
    It seems like him to put as big a value on look good as much as being a good coach. Look the part from Sunglasses(what the press made fun of Nolan before) to psuedo priest stiff collar shirts and that big cross.
    As I coined it last year-Pope Singletary,only a snazzy pope.

January 14th, 2011 5:29 pm

15. Ringing Bill

Harbaugh’s new guys: Roman – Drevno and Ed Donatelli…so far.

January 14th, 2011 5:47 pm

16. Drunkenmiller

Harbaugh is trying to put together a dream team coaching staff. It’s great to see talented coaches eager to work for a rookie head coach. It’ll take much longer to assemble a dream team of players, but at least we get the impression that Harbaugh is aiming high and not settling for 9-7 each season.

January 14th, 2011 7:40 pm

17. Benny Blanco

SFNINER… Here are a couple bits from MM’s Jan 13th Chat:

From Mustangstud49
    Matt, What was said behind the scenes by players/coaches about our former coach after he was fired. I read what people said like Vernon, But do you know what they really feel?

Matt Maiocco
    I was speaking with an assistant coach the other day. I said, “Boy, I don’t know how bad it was on the inside, but from the outside, it didn’t look very good.” His response, “You don’t know the half of it. Someday I’ll tell you some stories.”

From Brekkon
    Matt, you usually are not that harsh with your tweets in regards to the coaching but the week Singletary was let go you laid into the coaching. Was that because you had a scoop? It came across to me like you knew you could say what you felt due to “knowing something”

Matt Maiocco
    I can’t say I know exactly to what you’re referring. I do know I reported after the St. Louis game that Singletary was out as head coach — either later that night or after the final game. As someone whose credibility is based on being unbiased, I have to watch what I say and how I say it. For instance, if I say, “This coach is completely incompetent — the worst I’ve ever covered in my years of following the NFL.” It might be my opinion, but it then creates the impression that I have a personal vendetta against the man. Then, anything I write or say after that will be viewed differently because of that perceived bias I have.

January 15th, 2011 5:26 am

18. Ringing Bill

@ Stan…

Harbaugh brought NFL coaches to Stanford. Roman and Fangio have extensive NFL experience and now they are back in the NFL.
    Just an fyi…

January 15th, 2011 2:25 pm

19. D. Devil's Advocate, Esq.

@ Ringing Bill – Stan also thinks Aaron Rogers is “overrated”, so keep that in mind when reading his comments.

January 15th, 2011 11:37 pm

20. Justin

Does anyone know which Niners coaches will be retained and why it has dragged on so to speak in the form of an announcement? It would seem logical that Tomsula, Solari and Rathman are retained but there has never been an offical announcement. Also, is Ed Donatell under contract? What is the hold up on Jim Leavitt?

January 18th, 2011 12:14 pm

21. Justin

The Harbaugh hiring is huge. Not only is he an excellent quarterbacks coach but his knowledge of x’s and o’s is vast. What you will see now is a structure put in place where, if an OC(i.e. Roman) leaves in the future it will not leave the organization in dire straits (i.e. see McCarthy in 05′ and Turner in 06′). The reason for this is because the structure and the philosophy will remain the same. Just look at Green Bay: If their OC leaves they will keep on humming. It’s because the structure and philosophy(i.e. at least offensively) is McCarthy’s and as long as he(and Rogers) are there the offense will still operate at a high level. That is what is so refreshing about the Harbaugh hire…..that 49ers are not at the mercy of having to start over just because a coordinator leaves…..unlike in the past few years. This will aid the development of a qb, etc. It all goes hand in hand.

January 18th, 2011 12:20 pm