I’m running out to a doctor appointment so I’ll make this fast. Cal just sent out a press release indicating which sports it will save and which it will dump. Baseball is getting dumped. I’m not blaming Cal. I’m just saying it’s too bad. Three teams made the cut because of donors stepping up and that’s very good. So this is a happy/sad day. To learn the full details of which teams stay and which don’t click here to read Cal’s story it released to  the press.

Comments

And to be honest,Cal baseball will be missed by nobody. College baseball locally isnt even in sight of college football or basketball.
    Anything that expensive in these times,for a college,should be cut. Cal isnt a farm system for MLB. Lets fact it-these are universitys,public universitys and sports that dont make money-or at least arent huge budget sports, dont have a right to be funded.

February 11th, 2011 10:16 am

2. Frank in Minnesota

Cal is a great institution, but I suppose there are limits and the University has found that baseball cannot be a part of its present, and future.. and as you said Lowell, it is too bad, and sad…

February 11th, 2011 10:45 am

Now they’ll have more time to study.
    *ALOHA*

February 11th, 2011 11:22 am

I bet Lowell, you said Cal Baseball more often in talking about the cuts the last couple weeks or so than you ever did from the 70′s- the present writing about the team-combined.
    And I dont blame you-because if I ever saw a Cal Baseball topic title..I would have skipped it.

February 11th, 2011 12:22 pm

5. B-Rad

In perhaps the darkest moment of Stanford’s illustrious sports
    history, Lowell’s beloved Cardinal rugby team forfeited it’s
    2001 game against Cal’s perennial juggernaut rugby team
    (25 of the last 31 National Collegiate Rugby Championships).
    Stanford coach Franck Boivert explained why:
    “Stanford has no fear of losing versus Cal, as they have done
    so every year but one for the last 20 years. They are, however,
    very afraid to get injured and indeed fear for their safety.”
    The wimpy Cardinal coach then refused to respond to any
    questions on the subject.

February 11th, 2011 12:43 pm

I guess that damn football team took all of the money with the new stadium,

February 11th, 2011 5:55 pm

7. Butcherboy

This is sad wether or not “we” talked cal baseball. My good friend paul taboni now has to transfer schools to play ball. And Stan you have too much time on your hands, if your son selected a prestigious school like cal to play baseball and then was forced to transfer out of state, you would be furious. If you are going to blame anyone blame title ix, womens rugby? Now who really cares about that? Btw Stan if u a reba true giants fan you would realize great players such as Jeff Kent a MVP for the giants played cal baseball as well as such youngsters like morrow the closer to be for Seattle, sad day Lowell sad day…

February 11th, 2011 7:37 pm

8. D. Devil's Advocate. Esq.

Does anyone really believe that donors forked over $12 to 13 mil for women’s gymnastics and lacrosse, but not enough for baseball? Either some donors weren’t specific about where they wanted their money to go, or the school saw an excellent PR opportunity to “save” some women’s sports, and hey presto, improve their Title IX stats. I leave you to decide which scenario you believe.

February 12th, 2011 12:10 am

Ahhhhh,the son of a rich man now has to go to another college based on his fun. Your breaking my heart. Maybe his rich daddy developer and “friends” should fund the program? And if you hadnt learned to swallow the KNBR think B.B.,yeah,you might see that equality is a social good. And I bet those womans sports are of minimal cost. Also BB if your man George Bush hadnt from the day he took office started slashing education ( and I worked in the CSU system to know) and starting wars,Cal would have baseball. I’m all for baseball in a good economy..but Bush, two wars and banker thieves aided by the Bush regime are what we are left with.
    Just hope Obama can turn things around,that the corrupt college trustee’s are kept from looting for their pensions,and with both Bush and Arny gone-another education slasher- Baseball will return.

February 12th, 2011 7:13 am

10. salvomaster

Butcherboy is RIGHT.

February 12th, 2011 9:33 am

Sorry if I sounded hard on you BB. Just tellin it like it is big picture…

February 12th, 2011 11:54 am

12. SantaRosaTony

KauaiRobert’s idea that the players will now have more time to study warrants a good laugh. On the local TV news shows the players are looking to transfer to a school where they can play baseball. This is not a collection of scholar athletes, who will now revert to beings imply scholars.

February 12th, 2011 12:32 pm

13. 5decadefan

IMO, slashing baseball was more of a decision intended to satisfy Title IX than anything else. The Men’s swimming team, Water Polo team, and Rugby have been more successful than baseball. So baseball was sacrificed. One more thing: How many of the Cal parents supported Arnold’s idea of raising the Sales tax 5 cents which would help balance the budget? OK, how about 1 cent?

February 12th, 2011 12:52 pm

14. Bhall

Thumbs up for butcherboy. Stan leave the blog alone. Nobody wants to hear your negative outlook on everything. Open the blinds in your house at least once a week and stop laying in the fetal position curled up with your laptop. Cal baseball produced quality players for the MLB and was good for the PAC-10. By the way Berkeley is a public university. The majority of students are from California and don’t have the same upbringing as say Stanford students. I’d be willing to bet butcherboys friend doesn’t have a rich daddy. It’s called a scholarship. I’m sure Stan is soon to ammuse us all with his insight on 9-11 propaganda.

February 12th, 2011 3:03 pm

15. Butcherboy

Stan bro do u have a family? If not get a hobby, u don’t even know the tabonis or anything about their family. His father Joe is a friend of my uncle. He started his fortune on hard work and a simple deli, he was a man from a very tough background who has made quite well for himself and made life great for his kids,, how can u hate on that? Congrats you live in a blogger world of mr cohn….also some one who works for the csu system should have learned the word empathy? Guess not

February 12th, 2011 3:59 pm

16. eyemwrite

It doesn’t make sense to reinstate rugby and not baseball. The rugby team was going to be moved from a varsity sport to a club sport and therefore not to be counted towards title IX. It is the only rugby team in the nation that is not a club sport. Their schedule was not going to change, everything was going to be the same as it was prior, just their classification was going to change. Because rugby brings in more money it was reinstated. In my opinion, that was a bad decision. If you brought back baseball and made rugby a club sport, like every other rugby team in the nation, you get to keep both teams.

February 12th, 2011 4:18 pm

And BB-you should look into being something other that a KNBR boot licker to Radnich and Bruce-and maybe F&B. Try sending your pork chops to some homeless family-not KNBR hosts you buy as friends…

February 12th, 2011 6:00 pm

Once again let me address this “negative” tag that local team lackys try to put on me..Who was first to say the Giants would win the pennant in May~June?-me. Who was first by years to advocate Harbaugh for the 49ers?-me..All I know is the truth about local team and media from me has been darn accurate-I even predicted the Rentaria fiasco. So,I’ve been so right on,the flunkys only argument has been “Your so negative” and ” Bad spelling”!..lol..That’s pathetic if thats your best.

February 13th, 2011 10:16 am

19. Ringing Bill

@ Stan…I agree with about 85% of what you post on this site but your first post was cynical beyond the pale (what a reference) Just for the way that CALS chancellor handled this and especially Sandy Barbour – I would expect you to support (at least) the Cal baseball team’s efforts led by Doug Nickle. Have you absorbed all the shenanigans on http://www.norcalpreps.com on their baseball message board and savecalbaseball/facebook?

However this link is the most thorough http://cal.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1188114

February 13th, 2011 1:44 pm

Bill,I’m ALL FOR baseball,if somebody can raise the money. As it stands,there isnt millions to spare for it from the university. Robbing Paula to pay Peter also isnt right as an answer. Its kind of juvenile to turn on woman sports when the real cause is a bad economy and I already explained that!

February 14th, 2011 12:30 pm

21. eyemwrite

‎$321 million retrofit of Memorial Stadium and the construction of a $150 million athletic high-performance center, but not $10 million for baseball over the next 8 years. Construction companies must be in the back pocket of management.

February 16th, 2011 10:01 am