OK, I paid the 55 bucks to watch Pacquiao/Mosley. I’m a sucker for boxing even though I knew it would not be much of a fight. It was even less than I expected.

Pacquiao knocked down Mosley in the third round with a left hook, really loused up Mosley who was on rubber legs for about 45 seconds. After that Mosley didn’t want anything to do with Pacquiao, or as he said after, Pacquiao had “power I never felt before.”

Mosley didn’t want any of that power. So he ran away. Really, he ran away. For 55 bucks I saw Mosley run away and Manny sprint after him. It was like a track meet.

I gave Mosley exactly one round. He got credited with knocking down Manny in the 10th although it was a clear push. But it was an “official” knockdown so I gave him the round. I had it scored 119-109 for Manny, which is a walkover.

The story of the fight was how Mosley gave up on the fight, went into safety first mode. He never tried to win — he merely tried not to get knocked out. It is hard to respect Mosley because he did not come to fight.

I have no idea where Floyd Mayweather is in his career or even if he can fight or wants to fight. It’s a shame he and Manny never fought. Mayweather would have presented Manny with problems he never has encountered — and vice versa. It would have been a thrilling fight and I believe Mayweather would have won. But Mayweather is more concerned with being undefeated than with laying it all on the line. At least Mosley had the guts to get in the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

Comments

1. glenellen

HA !

May 7th, 2011 9:31 pm

2. sxiong

This was a really disappointing fight. I thought Pacquiao should’ve been more aggressive after the knock down when for a few second it seem that Mosley didn’t have his legs under him. Although, Pacquiao also said after the fight that his legs were bothering him through the middle rounds.

May 7th, 2011 9:42 pm

ok……so I watched the fight…….55 bucks Lowell?…..what a bargin….I paid 65 bucks……thats Berkeley taxes for you……..so I watched Packeeow when he first started boxing years ago, and saw nothing special……..I haven’t watched a pay per view since Lewis knocked out Tyson some 5 years ago…..or was it 6 or 7 years ago?……..boxing has been nothing since Lewis retired……..I’ve folllowed Packeeow’s recent wins in the news and thats it, but decided to see for myself tonight what he’s all about……he looked like Roberto Duran on steroids………relentless offensive attack, but with freakish power……..throwing punches from strange angles and 3,4 and 5 punch combinations…….no normal human does those things, and my steroid suspicion was confirmed in my mind when Al Bernstien said that Packeeow only threw 500 punches in the Mosley fight compared to the 1000!!! that he usually throws……I mean comon!!!!!! 1000 punches thrown in a fight!!! thats like hitting 73 homeruns in one baseball season………boxing is a mess………going down the drain fast……….

May 7th, 2011 9:49 pm

4. Aaron

I still disagree with you and think Manny would give Mayweather all kinds of problems he’s never seen before. While certainly Manny hasn’t faced anyone as talented as Mayweather, he has faced fighters of a similar style. But because Manny is so unique and at time unorthodox I doubt Mayweather has seen anyone remotely like Manny before and I think that would cross him up. Manny is so good at making adjustments on the fly too. If his pre-fight plan isn’t working he’ll go to something else, and that coupled with his unorthodox style makes him very difficult to plan and train for. Manny throws harder than I think some give him credit for, but his real talent is in using leverage and balance against his opponents. He has a real knack for coming from an unexpected angle and catching people off balance and causing the knockdown even if the shot doesn’t lead directly to a knockout.

As far as Moley tonight, this fight unfolded much like the last few fights Pacquiao has been in: Manny displays his dominance early and the opponent spends the entire fight just trying to stay upright. I give Cotto credit because he didn’t have much of a chance but at least he tried to stay in and box with Manny. He tried to win the fight despite knowing he couldn’t. If these guys don’t want to at least try and beat Manny then throw in the towel and save me the time.

May 7th, 2011 10:17 pm

HERESY!..Manny would have stepped it up to beat Mayweather to a bloody pulp. He had no reason to do more than he did against Mosely.
    Mayweather is the Axel Rose of boxing..people will say how great they are based on what they did over a short period.

May 8th, 2011 6:36 am

To me this fight demonstrates the wasteland that is contemporary boxing…Where are the great fighters? Where are the good fighters?
    Your know what you’re doing Lowell and you got suckered into paying to watch Pacquiao beat up on a 40 year old man…
    Can you name three fights you’d like to see made besides Mayweather/Pacquiao…I sure can’t…

May 8th, 2011 1:33 pm

7. B-Rad

The exclamation point is crummy to begin with and I regret its
    resurgence. Good writers don’t need the exclamation point
    because they know how to express enthusiasm through
    their words.
    By the way, what is plagiarism?

May 8th, 2011 4:39 pm

8. Blind Tom

Mayweather hasn’t fought a decent opponent in years. He’s great at beating up women and scaring children. Remember the racial rant he did a while back against Asians and Manny? Trust me, that doesn’t sit well on that side of the world. Manny appeared to brush it off in public, but, if/when they get together, he will beat the holy crap out of Floyd.

He will hurt him, beat his face into a pulp and then drop him in the seventh with a shot to the ribs. Boxers hate to lose to a body shot and that will be Floyd’s first loss…

May 9th, 2011 3:57 am

Murphy on KNBR today said “Until they fight let’s say Mayweather is the better fighter”..? Manny with the pound for pound,many titles,etc-not proved a thing to Murph and KNBR?
    See,let me explain-there’s over racism and bigotry…then there’s that very subtle almost imperceptible racism. Just like many will say the most beautiful woman in a room is the blond with blue eyes..no matter what other woman of color share that room,There are also men who will always think the African American fighter will always be better than the Asian fighter.

May 9th, 2011 8:10 am

I heard Bert Sugar on both local sports radio stations say-”Mayweather won’t fight Pacquiao,because he knows he will lose” So,where do local writers get off automatically saying Mayweather is the better fighter when HE’S AFRAID OF MANNY?..it’s not Manny Paquiao backing down-it’s Mayweather. It’s so common sense..you would need an ajenda to deny that.

May 10th, 2011 11:12 am