ComcastSportsNet BayArea just published Grant’s latest opus. This time he wrote about the Bay Area’s ten most depressing sports injuries of all time, obviously a reaction to Buster Posey’s horrible injury last week. Grant wrote this as therapy for you and him — these injuries are sad. He also wrote it to remind us of important history. If you have another to add, write to him at Comcast or leave a response here. To read Grant’s column click here.

Comments

Draveky was the worst by far…
    Big crowd at the Stick to celebrate his return from cancer therapy..
    2nd inning
    Crack

May 31st, 2011 12:33 pm

Tiburon Dave, I know you think you were there but Dravecky’s injury took place on the road. We all feel we were there. We still feel it now.

May 31st, 2011 12:38 pm

3. eb

That Jermaine Dye foul ball was a killer. In the playoffs, against the evil Yankees, it doesn’t get any worse.

May 31st, 2011 12:40 pm

4. John Sousa

I was there when Tony Siragusa pancaked Rich Gannon in the AFC Championship game. It might not have made a difference if he hadn’t gotten hurt, but hope died the second bobby hoying came in.

May 31st, 2011 12:45 pm

May 31st, 2011 12:49 pm

Cam Iman did the same list a few days ago..Im going to have to compare who’s list brings back the most winces.
    Maybe your readers might also compare the gruesome lists-lol.
    Shoot,just as you got me used to Iggy..it’s all just Grant now?
    Grant should float the idea of using Iggy..I can see that sticking with people who find him on internet searches for articles or topics.

May 31st, 2011 12:59 pm

7. glenellen

Can I add to the list ?
    2005 – Napoleon McCallum
    His career came to an end at Candlestick.
    1968 – Gale Sayers ripped up knee on Candlestick cement fake grass.

May 31st, 2011 2:00 pm

8. Loneraider78

“John, Grant thought about that one, but it somehow didn’t make the cut. Hope all is well with you and your writing.”

Monte Ellis’ moped accident gets #1, but Gannon getting flattened by Siragusa (talk about dirty and unnecessary) doesn’t make the list?

That game meant alot to the Raiders and especially to us fans. Ellis’ injury changed nothing for the W’s, they still stunk, and continue to stink.

Gannon should’ve made the list.

Even as an A’s fan I vote for Dravecky. I was really happy for the guy to get his career back and then wham. Done. But at least he’s alive and has really given a lot of hope to people in his new job.

May 31st, 2011 2:27 pm

9. Fred G

I let Grant know how I felt about this list already. My issue is with naming Montana’s injury number two. Joe Montana (in my opinion) remains the number one sports icon (of all time) in the Bay Area. All things must come to an end, but this injury crushed the souls of many Bay Area fans. We all “knew” how bad it was and how it was the end of an era. The timing was horrible and I think we all got a clue about mortality. Grant came to terms with “innocence” recently. This was a defining moment for me as well. I can’t begin to see how he rates any injury above this one. However, the selection he made had me scratching my head. I think he’s a closet A’s fan. : )

May 31st, 2011 2:55 pm

10. captveg

Napoleon McCallum. Was not a star player or anything, but I will never get the image of his knee going 45 degrees in the wrong direction out of my mind. Worst injury I’ve ever witnessed live. It still has me depressed thinking about it now because it was so disgusting.

May 31st, 2011 2:59 pm

11. Wilson

I’m still not sure that Cousins did anything wrong. I imagine that baseball players are always told to try and knock the ball out of the catcher’s hands if you’re going to be out otherwise. The point I’d like to make it that what we worry about with such plays is upper body injuries – concussions, neck injuries, maybe shoulder injuries. None of that happened. What I’d love to find out is the statistics on injuries from home plate collisions. How many catchers have been lost for a prolonged time from such plays? And of those who were, what kind of injuries? I wonder how common leg or ankle injuries are. Was this just a really freak accident – something we shouldn’t let force us to change the rules, because it’s unlikely to happen again?

May 31st, 2011 3:39 pm

12. Dan

Dravecky’s injury WAS gruesome. As I recall, he had a successful return, a win, at home, but he broke his arm again on the road. Was it against Montreal? Or Cincinnati? I just remember watching the replay and that they were playing on Astroturf.

To the football injuries, I would add:

*49er strong safety Jeff Fuller suffering a career-ending neck injury during an Oct. 1989 game against the Patriots at Stanford Stadium, where the teams played after the Loma Prieta earthquake. He never regained use of one of his arms.

*Patriot wide receiver Darryl Stingley being paralyzed for life after getting hit by Raider safety Jack Tatum in a 1978 pre-season game in Oakland. I remember reading how John Madden visited Stingley in the hospital and helped Stingley’s family/loved ones. That was Madden’s final season as coach.

*Tim Krumrie/Steve Wallace both breaking ankles or legs in the first quarter of Super Bowl XXIII in Miami. Both were gruesome injuries.

*Napoleon McCallum’s gruesome knee injury in the 1994 Monday night season opener between the Raiders and 49ers at the ‘Stick. He almost had to have the leg amputated.

May 31st, 2011 4:13 pm

13. mendozaline

2 other injuries to consider:

Robb Nen pitching his last inning ever, trying to save game 6 of the 2002 World Series. He gave up the remainder of his career for a chance to save the game for the Giants.

Bo Jackson’s hip injury. It ended his football career and seriously curtailed his baseball career.

May 31st, 2011 5:24 pm

14. D. Devil's Advocate

Why is Grant upset? Didn’t he write earlier than Buster Posey wasn’t as important to the Giants as Andre Torres? So this injury isn’t a tragedy, is it?

May 31st, 2011 7:30 pm

15. B-Rad

The amazing thing about Bryant Young’s horrific broken leg
    at the hands, or helmet, of teammate Ken Norton in 1998,
    was that he won the ‘NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year
    Award’ in ’99 with 11 sacks.

May 31st, 2011 7:46 pm

Draveky’s shoulder break was in Montreal………..Captveg……It’s true Napolean McCalum wasn’t a superstar RB when he had that horrendous leg artery tear on Monday Night football at Candlestick Park, opening the 1994 season (which was the same game that Jerry Rice became the all time career TD leader)…….but in the season before, during the 1993 playoffs, McCallum was a star…….scoring 3 TD’s vs. the Broncos in the wild card game, and then 2 more vs. the Bills in the divisional playoff which the Raiders almost won…..so going into that 1994 season, McCallum was looking to be an important part of that Raiders team…..so it was a big loss for the Raiders…..and more a very sad end to his career.

June 1st, 2011 7:24 am

17. John Sousa

I just remembered another one, Bryant Young’s leg break in 98. My roommate at the time and I still refer to getting your leg broken in that manner as being “BY-ed.” Like when my brother went ice skating on a first date, he slipped on the ice and got BY-ed.”

June 1st, 2011 8:30 am

18. Jim E

Montana. Not close. The magnitude of his stardom, the moment, what the 49ers were playing for. It’s not close.

June 1st, 2011 1:19 pm

19. Johnny Christo

Iggy is too young to understand the Montana Cool. His guy is Happy Feet Steve Young. Lowell, you ought to have a Sunday dinner dedicated to teaching your son about grace under pressure. Joe got crushed not once, but twice, by Jim Burt & Leonard Marshall. Lowell, please educate your son. Thanks.

June 1st, 2011 4:21 pm

another note on the Napolean McCallum injury…..guess who was the guy that caused that awful injury? the same guy that caused the compound fracture to Bryant Young a few years later……..Ken Norton Jr………that guy was just a crazed maniacal football player with no regard for the conseqences of his actions on the field………I saw him and his dad, Ken Norton Sr. on an ESPN up close show hosted by the meek Chris Myers, and they were both just being awful, intimidating and terrorizing the guy……Myers patted Norton Sr. on his knee to try top get them to relax…..and Sr. glared at Myers, saying…….”what are you doin touchin my knee”…….the Nortons are creepy…….

June 2nd, 2011 7:30 am