I’m not saying Tiger Woods is a cheater, a law breaker and a phony when it comes to golf and drugs.  I have no knowledge he broke any laws. But I wonder about the guy, now more than ever.

I woke up from an afternoon nap — I sleep a lot with this cold I have — and went to espn. com and read the Canadian doctor who treated Woods has plead guilty in federal court to bringing illegal drugs into the US including human growth hormone. The doc, who never was licensed to practice medicine in the US, did not say he gave any illegal drugs to Woods.

And there is a presumption of innocence. So let me ask you this. Do you believe in Woods? Do you believe this doc gave other athletes illegal drugs but never gave them to Woods? I’m just asking.

To read the espn article click here.

Comments

1. Clark

I believe Tiger used PEDs…

July 6th, 2011 2:32 pm

2. Dave T

I personally choose to not try athletes in a court of public opinion, which in essence is what you are proposing to do here. Until it is proven in either direction, to me it remains white noise and irrelevent. Athlete’s are simply entertainers and we can’t lose sight of that. How anyonce can not believe that I am not sure. The ratings, it’s all about the ratings and let’s face it, the Tour misses Woods and his buzz. And that to me is really the bottom line.

July 6th, 2011 2:51 pm

Dave T, I didn’t try him but I raised a reasonable question. I ask you a question: Does being an entertainer absolve people if they break the law and lie? If so, maybe I should be an entertainer.

July 6th, 2011 2:54 pm

Everything about his health points to steroid use and abuse..illegal makes it abuse right there. I’ve been posting for years he’s on the stuff..his “buffness” is obvious due to chemical help,the joint and ligament problems classic steroid use. And how many times have I posted here on Cohn Zohn talk about Tiger’s Canadian Dr? Many,that’s how much.
    Why would Tiger fly this guy in from Canada to get what Tiger could get from the barrio clinic around the corner in Miami?…because Tiger was getting substances that are not legal.
    Case closed.

July 6th, 2011 3:02 pm

I suspect that Woods took illegal drugs seeing how he bulked up like a linebacker during his reign of terror as number one. If he cheated on his wife before during and after their marriage and her pregnancy I would not be surprised if he cheated on golf. I find it odd that he is experiencing so many injuries to his tendons etc now at the age of 35..a symtom of steroid abuse.

July 6th, 2011 3:02 pm

Why did he choose DR. Galea.?..he had accesss to the finest doctors in the USA and yet he flies in this felon from Canada

July 6th, 2011 3:05 pm

The most important question is this:
    How the h**l do you get a knee injury playing golf?!
    -ALOHA-
    P.S. This just in…Phil Mickelson will miss the U.S. Open due to complications stemming from a hangnail.

July 6th, 2011 4:18 pm

8. Dave T

Good question Lowell. I never said I absolved Woods, or anyone else for law breaking be it entertainer, politician or otherwise, I just simply said I choose not to make claims without factual basis. Perhaps he did, perhaps he didn’t, I do not know for certain either way. But for example, Jimmi Hendrix was an alleged huge cocain user, even performing under the influence, allegedly. He broke the law, but as an entertainer a performer, does it really matter at end of your day? Bad example perhaps, but semi valid. I am fairly certain that where there is smoke, there is fire, but for me, when it comes to this level of accustions, I want evidence, that’s all.
    And you are an entertainer Lowell, as are we all who are parents. Don’t change.

July 6th, 2011 4:36 pm

See,Tiger is now expelled by the sportswriters…but I see Dave Dravecky somehow has become a Giants legend. Why? When he played for the Giants (only three seasons btw) he was a card carrying member of the John Birch Society..ethnics and Jews not welcome.
    I wonder if the Giants would ever embrace a ex member of the Black Panthers who has been a Giant? Ironic because a Panther or Commie would be closer to the citys real pulse then Dravecky. Dravecky is more representitive of the Danville citizentry that works for the Giants.

July 6th, 2011 4:59 pm

Stan, It’s a fair criticism of Dravecky, I guess. He is one of the most decent people I ever met who also was/is an athlete, and my being Jewish never seemed to get in our way, nor did it ever come up.

July 6th, 2011 5:02 pm

That’s because Lowell,Dave never said to you what he really thought. He no doubt stuck to baseball. At the ‘society is where you would heve been frightened to hear what they-and he- beleive in.

July 6th, 2011 5:08 pm

How many years did Mel Gibson have Hollywood thinking he was a great guy? I would really put stock into the fact Dravecky would belong to such a well known racist organization. It wasn’t the peace corp. Guys who join the JBS, join for a reason.

July 6th, 2011 5:12 pm

13. Joe

If golfers take anti-anxiety meds to steady their putts Tiger taking steroids shouldn’t raise any eyebrows.

July 6th, 2011 9:07 pm

I am not sure how steroids would help Tiger be better at golf. I am sure it might help him hit the ball somewhat longer, but winning tournaments is much more about touch and feel in the short game. And I could be wrong but I don’t believe steroids enhances that part of your game. In fact, there are analysts who thought that his new muscular frame was getting in the way of his golf game.

Rudy Duran, Tiger’s first coach when Tiger was a toddler, told me that if Tiger Woods never took a golf lesson in his life he would still be one of the 10 best golfers on the circuit: he had that much natural talent. So my point is, even if he took steroids it didn’t help him dominate the sport. Golf is much more mental than physical.

July 6th, 2011 9:36 pm

15. mjgpromo

Stan is a judgemental racist. He opines on people he has never met with a hatred towards them What is a Danville citizenry? Please tell me Stan.

July 6th, 2011 10:22 pm

16. albert park

Stan, I’m sure glad we still have a Constitution in this country, because guys like you scare the hell out of me. Dave Dravecky is as entitled to his political beliefs as a left-wing wacko like you. You’re a prime example of the judgemental Bolsheviks who’ve taken control in San Francisco; I pity you more than I fear you.

July 6th, 2011 10:24 pm

17. Jim Bancroft

Lowell, you didn’t exactly try Woods, and were careful about making the necessary preliminary statements about presumption of innocence, etc, but the phrase “I have no knowledge he broke any laws. But I wonder about the guy, now more than ever,” sounds like chumming the waters.

Write whatever you want of course, but posting what you did and then playing the wounded innocent in your reply to Dave T about your “reasonable question” whether we believe that Woods’ doctor gave PEDs to other athletes but not Woods himself, is a bit much.

July 7th, 2011 7:40 am

I don’t have to explain a thing-because you know. I’m the racist huh?..yeah and George Bush was the war hero and your kind called the decorated Kerry a coward! Simplistic spin won’t work on me.
    Draveckys “political beliefs” are more then he wants to pay less taxes. Again,nobody joins an extremest “club” like the John Birch Society to wish equality for all. That’s a fact. Larry Baer should be ashamed.

July 7th, 2011 10:30 am

Lowell says nice things about Dave…and the JBS is anti semitic. Radnich says nice things about Dave..and the JBS abhors interracial marriage.
    And why is he a spokesman for the Giants? He called himself a good will ambassador on Comcast. Sure,from the ghost of 1968 Pretoria.

July 7th, 2011 11:04 am

20. Dave T

It is good we live in a society where we can wield opinion and words pretty much as we choose. We can maintain opinion and make our own judgements and statements generally without fear of government reprisal (it may cost your family, friends or perhaps even a career). I am going to always wonder who did, or who didn’t when it comes to baseball, football, basketball and hockey. Now add in almost any sport and there will be lingering questions. What is not permitted? What is? What is a natural supplement? What is not? This will continue to change and change some more as we go forward. And we as fans, bloggers and writers will be free to ask questions and make statements. That is our right. And for some their job. I just simply choose not to do so. I prefer to enjoy the game as it unfolds in front of me, because as a fan, that is what I choose to do. I will comment and add opinion, but I tend to do so on the games themselves, how they are played, the nuances, and the momentum changes. And I shy away from conjecture about athletes and their alleged or potential use of PEDs.
    Thanks as always Lowell for providing a forum in which to debate these things, it is appreciated.

July 7th, 2011 11:34 am

21. harry

I think steroids will help with the drive distance and endurance. There is a big difference if you are using your 9 iron instead of 7 iron when you can drive it 350 vs 280 initially.

“How the h**l do you get a knee injury playing golf?!”

Don’t know the exact medical terms, but bigger muscles and greater force/torque exerted on tendons/ligaments(which do not grow due to steroids), will cause these type of injuries, I suspect.

July 7th, 2011 12:56 pm

And who are these people who say how unfair it is to say that of Woods? Where have they been the last few years. Just about every champion in every sport-including fake sports like pro wrestling- has been proven to have used steroids
    Even old golphers like Gary Player I strongly suspect of using steroids… famous for”situps”. Sure. Player’s injuries, even cancer seems steroid based.
    Like I’ve written before..the steroid body IS different from the old weightlifters body. And in a sport like baseball thats not know to cause bulging muscles to develop…the sudden growth of huge shoulders on Reggie Jackson-Barry Bonds is a tip off. Tiger has them bulging veins…he cheats at everything!.don’t play Poker or Parcheesee with Tiger!

July 7th, 2011 12:56 pm