As prelude to Sunday’s opener between the 49ers and Seahawks, reporters on Wednesday asked Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll if they are bosom bodies. Before I get to the bosom-buddy part here for your edification and pleasure is the legendary postgame exchange between Carroll and Harbaugh after Stanford beat USC 55-21 in 2009 and after Harbaugh went for a two-point conversion late in the game, which failed.

Carroll: Are you all right? What’s your deal?

Harbaugh: I’m OK. What’s your deal?

It never has been determined what either man’s deal is but we will know more about the deal after Sunday’s deal-breaking game.

For starters, here is what Harbaugh said about Carroll:

Does he understand the intrigue of a Harbaugh-Carroll rematch?

Harbaugh: (He smiles.) Is there intrigue? (He laughs coyly.) We’re both locked into what we’re trying to do. Yeah, two coaches going at it. Tune in to see what the coaches are going to say to each other prior to the game and after the game. Anything that’s been said before has been pretty well documented. In the end, this is an 11-on-11 game. Is this (The Deal) really that exciting, that intriguing to find out what they’re going to talk about? What’s relevant is this game is going to be determined by players.

How do you define your relationship with Pete?

I’ve got great respect for him and the job he’s doing (blah blah blah).

How about you and him?

Good. Respectful.

Do you like him as a guy?

Yeah, I do.

Do you know him?

Somewhat. I wouldn’t say I’m friends with anybody, other head coaches in the National Football League, other than my brother. We don’t go out and socialize. I’m trying to beat him. I respect him and I like him.

Later Carroll spoke via conference call:

We don’t know each other very well. I’ve always had great respect for him as a competitor.

Asked about what they will say to each other he quips, “There will be no boom mikes” when they talk before game.

Does Carroll like Harbaugh?

I don’t know him very well. He does all the stuff great coaches do. I respect him for that.

OK, now for one more thing. As an extra added bonus here is a Seattle Times story about what Harbaugh said after his Cardinal beat the U. of Washington. In this article he says a few things about Carroll. To read the piece click here.

Comments

1. Seth

I have a feeling the Jim Harbaugh that is behind the scenes in the locker room would both thrill and terrify the average 49er fan.

September 7th, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah,the old Jim turns the question on the questioner deal. He takes pride in not letting anything out..even if its so damn obvious how he feels about so and so.
    They sure picked a guy straight out of a Bill Paxton movie. They even look alike.
    I can tell you all in the media..he’s not going to let that curtain down. He enjoys cat and mouse. And somehow pressing him to get a real answer will only make you look like a jerk..like, why are you badgering poor Jim?. He’s only doing his job.

September 7th, 2011 1:50 pm

3. Dave T

Ahh..yes, the Harbaugh/Carroll intrigue. Somthing I think I alluded too, on top of the fact that it is a Divisional game in week 1. Truthfuly was primaly “coach speak” going on there and not much else. And to date this still lacks the Bill Bellicheck vs. any former pupil or the Jets for that matter. Time will tell and perhaps this will become more a rivalry than it is now. For now I think it is nothing more than the NFL coaching debut of Harbaugh against an old college coaching rival in Carroll. And since we all know that coaching in the NFL is a far different landscape than coaching in college, there is little more to read into it than that. So let’s just sit back, relax a bit and enjoy the game. That’s just my take though…

September 7th, 2011 2:29 pm

4. dennypat

1) Carroll doesn’t like Jim because he embarrassed him in the Pac 10. Sort of hurried his exit some what.
    2) Carroll instinctively know Jim is a better coach. I agree with him.
    3) Carroll has been run out of several NFL cities already. He knows Jim will greatly assist in this scenario happening again.
    Still it makes the games more enjoyable.

September 7th, 2011 7:02 pm

5. One Puzzle Piece Short

dennypat, please. Harbaugh has nothing on his resume to say he’s going do anything as an NFL coach, except the 49er faithful’s fervent to the point of be blinkered desire.

September 7th, 2011 8:52 pm

6. Joe Jack

I don.t know, and don’t care what the deal is between these two Prima Donna’s. It’s all mind games and ego. Unlike the singing coach. I want a coach like B.Walsh that noy only talks the talk, but walks the walk. Of course it’s eleven against eleven, but it;s coaching that puts them in the position to win. Can the Hard-man do this?

September 7th, 2011 9:59 pm

7. Jim Coombs

Lowell, saw you on Comcast the other night. You guys were all wrong about the Harbough/Carroll vedetta.

Here is the real story on the Harbough/Carroll tiff. When Harbough arrived at Stanford, he pointed out USC as the program to emulate. When Stanford, a 40 pt dog beat SC at SC, Carroll ran off the field AND NEVER SHOOK Harbough’s hand.

The following year at Stanford, USC was a 15 point favorite and was ahead by about 13 or 14 with three minutes to go. Carroll threw passes, called timeouts and march down the field to kick a field goal with about a minute to go to beat the spread. Stanford ran the kickoff back to the 40, called time outs and went down the field to kick a field goal to beat the spread.

The following year at USC, Stanford scored and Harbough went for two to get 50 on Carroll which had never been done.

Can’t wait until Sunday. Jim

September 9th, 2011 6:50 pm

8. Was Schwartz Justified in Being Upset With Harbaugh? - NYTimes.com

[...] so be it.”Harbaugh has ruffled feathers before (see video below). As coach at Stanford, he had a testy exchange after a 55-21 victory over Pete Carroll’s U.S.C. Trojans. Stanford went for a 2-point [...]

October 16th, 2011 2:46 pm

9. Was Schwartz Justified in Being Upset With Harbaugh? – New York Times (blog) - Alfasources.com

[...] has ruffled feathers before (see video below). As coach at Stanford, he had a testy exchange after a 55-21 victory over Pete Carroll’s U.S.C. Trojans. Stanford went for a 2-point conversion [...]

October 16th, 2011 5:00 pm