Jim Harbaugh explained why he untucked his shirt after Sunday’s game as he approached Jim Schwartz. Let’s call this The Untucking of the Shirt:

“It’s a mentality that when we work we tuck our shirts in. When work is over, we untuck ‘em and we win, we celebrate. That’s the theme and the message behind that, and it goes back a ways. I had some uncles that lived in Ohio that worked a blue-collar job and when they came home from their work, they’d untuck their shirts, sit on the couch, put their feet up on the coffee table and eat some pizza and drink a beer. Those were good times. Those were good times to be a kid and just watch them do that. We’re kind of taking that approach, that theme here.”

Comments

1. eb

Lowell, I have a serious question and I’m not trying to start drama: Should Oakland Raider fans not expect very much coverage on this blog? I am a fan of your style of writing and I was/am looking forward to your opinion on the Raider’s sudden QB problem. Going back just three pages on your blog there are 17 49er related stories and 7 for Oakland (only 3 if you exclude stories on Al Davis’ death.)

October 17th, 2011 4:46 pm

2. JClev

I like it! The players are the kids and he and the coaching staff are the uncles. The players want to work hard like the uncles do!

October 17th, 2011 4:53 pm

Nice spin. It’s not the end of the world..but the BS of “It’s what I did at 8 years old”..that isn’t holding water. It’s as if he hasn’t noticed he’s in the NFL after it being his life’s goal for a decade. And I read admitting the shirt lifting wasn’t on the fly as wondering what else he has preplanned for a big win that the cameras-and opponents- can see next time.
    You ever see the movie “The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz”? about the maniacal drive to win,get ahead..Jim’s sort of coming off like that.
    Yeah,I know..he wins,no real big deal. Just my OP.

October 17th, 2011 5:14 pm

4. Rc

Love it, bring back the lunch pail mentality.

October 17th, 2011 5:44 pm

5. John Sousa

This is interesting. Harbaugh came in with the trumpets and the fanfare and let’s-restore-Bill-Walsh blah blah. The 49ers were always the white wine and cheese finesse teams. This whole blue collar thing is kind of turning that on it’s head. The Raiders were always supposed to be the blue-collar team, weren’t they? It also makes me think that Harbaugh might tell someone to get the hell out of here if he was being bothered at dinner.

October 17th, 2011 6:02 pm

6. gary

well, it is easier to understand than the tuck rule.

October 17th, 2011 6:15 pm

7. Nowledable Mystery Man

I dink dat dis is a outrage. Any one who pulls a article, uh, of cloding up publically
    doesn’t deserve to be a head coach. Da niners had oder head coaches dat were
    better, uh, den dis guy. Dis guy is just using players dat oder head coaches got
    for da team. Da niners had oder head coaches dat wouldn’t dink of beating up
    anoder head coach uh, publically. If da guy had pulled up his shirt in da locker
    room it wood uh,be uh, different i dink!

October 17th, 2011 6:23 pm

I will blog on Raiders QBs later this week. I write more about the Niners — the PD gets more readers about the Niners — but I will try to do better with the Raiders.

October 17th, 2011 6:52 pm

Stan, you should read the book, it’s very good.

October 17th, 2011 6:53 pm

10. Dr nick

The funniest moment of the post-game drama had to be catching a shot of Harbaugh’s navel! I laughed out loud, literally.
    And speaking of Raiders, I’m glad we didn’t catch a shot at what lies beneath Rob Ryan’s shirt. I would imagine it’s something like a yeti.

October 17th, 2011 7:08 pm

11. Brad C

I Get it! Psychology can go a long way in building a team to believe in their efforts. He gave the team the rest of the week off because of their hard work two wins in a row. Right on! I say Jim Harbaugh has a knack for establishing a message that he is in charge and doesn’t care what the media or the talking heads presume to know about his approach to the game and his team. Go Niners!

October 17th, 2011 10:01 pm

Harabugh……..what a joke…….wait until you get into the lockroom to untuck your shirt and show your flabby belly……….not on the field in front of the cameras because you didn’t get enough attention as a child….the dude is way strange……..but thats classic Jed York hiring practice…….sign the coach before checking out his character……..

October 17th, 2011 10:03 pm

If I run across it at my favotite used bookstore-I might Lowell. I know the movie was so good,That to this day I’m not sure if I like Richard Dreyfuss-lol. I felt so sorry for his slow freind he took advantage of..poor guy.

October 18th, 2011 2:04 pm

14. Glenn

Love Harbaugh’s results to date but Bill Walsh’s professorial style was
    way more cool…

October 18th, 2011 7:18 pm

15. Jason

This is what the Brewers were doing several years ago after each win and it outraged Tony LaRussa incredibly. We even have ‘Untuckem’ shirts here in Milwaukee. The reasoning for untucking here is the same reasoning that Harbaugh is giving. I guess he is a Brewers fan!

UNTUCKEM!!!