Stanford absolutely murdered Washington tonight, and Washington is allegedly a good team. The zany thing is Stanford did it mostly with defense and by running the ball. Andrew Luck, as great as he is, was kind of a spectator. That’s how balanced Stanford is. Anyway, that’s why I came up with the headline almost out of Luck. It means they hardly needed Luck (Andrew) to beat the Huskies. I’m going to bed now — came down with a cold in the press box and have a snoot full. I felt sorry for Ratto sitting next to me while I sneezed all night — I hope I didn’t get him sick or Bruce Jenkins to his right. I’m supposed to cover the Raiders on Sunday. We’ll see. To read my Out of Luck column, click here.

Comments

1. brady

i feel bad, Lowell, I’ve been sick and constantly on your blog, you probably got it from me! :)

October 23rd, 2011 12:08 am

Bill Walsh passed on Tom Brady to draft a QB guy out of Wake Forest who I read now lives in a trailer with a herd of goats and no TV. And that guy never started a game in the NFL. Who’s perfect?

Stanford looked like a MO-sheen. If Luck wanted the ball left right or in a corner-that’s where it went. And you know-his form doesn’t look picture perfect,his throwing motion is a bit rubbery..and he doesnt throw a missle all the time..It just ALWAYS gets to the hands of the reciever. Just like Joe did it.
    65 points by Stanford..and ALex Smith is 5-1 and the Giants won a World Series last year..and the Raiders are 4-2..I thought 2-3 years ago bay area sports had died.
    Like a Phoenix that rose..ah, nevermind.

October 23rd, 2011 7:32 am

Sorry you’re not feeling well, brady. I have a whopper.

October 23rd, 2011 8:12 am

Maybe this cold and the “Palo Alto Blues” are related. I usually feel down before I get a bad cold, but I am never sure if I feel down because a cold is coming on or I get a cold because I am down. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Just being curious, but do you root for Stanford or does the journalist take over?

October 23rd, 2011 8:55 am

5. Dan

Stan, I think Carmazzi was out of Hofstra, not Wake Forest, but your point is well taken.

October 23rd, 2011 9:21 am

Dont you get flu shots Lowell? After the whooping cough nearly did me in last year,I got one.
    I just saw a 104 yard Atlanta return called back for a ticky tack pushing call in the back..just a bad call. Whats with the NFL? Its seems every long pass,return..the refs seek out a way to help the Vegas gamblers. If a congressman can be bribed..I know the billions of dollar Organized crime gamblers can find a few refs to “influence” scores.

October 23rd, 2011 10:23 am

I don’t root for Stanford. I was a graduate student when I was there. I love the place but I did not bond in a rooting, undergraduate way. Rarely even went to football games.

October 23rd, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks Dan. Imagine his legacy if he had drafted Brady AFTER Montana and trading for Young? Boggles the mind.

October 23rd, 2011 11:13 am

I’m stunned they are this good. We’re just seeing a ton of surprises this season in Bay Area football. What a delight it has been. But for Stanford specifically, they’re season will be defined by these next few games. Oregon will be extremely difficult and USC has no weaknesses that I’ve seen. I’m sure the Trojans would take delight in knocking down the Cardinal. Every team from here on out has a chance to knock them out of the “Super Bowl”. With Wisconsin AND Oklahoma losing yesterday, two possible finalists have been eliminated from final contention. Stanford is clearly better than Boise. They are top 5 material now and LSU or Bama will be out of it soon as well.

October 23rd, 2011 12:06 pm

10. Dan

Stan, yeah, that would have been something, wouldn’t it? But even the Patriots didn’t know what they had in Brady. Scott Pioli said that if they did, they wouldn’t have waited until the sixth round to draft him. Picking quarterbacks is such an art. As I recall, Holmgren had Kurt Warner at the Packers’ training camp, but obviously didn’t keep him.

October 23rd, 2011 1:14 pm

11. mike

Dan: Truth be known that Kurt told Mike that he was so overwhelmed with the experience and largess of the whole Packer dynamics after being at Northern Iowa that he asked out of all team work because he felt so awed and believed that he would be dismal and was ill prepared.

Went to work bagging groceries in a Iowa grocery store and eventually tried out and made the indoor team, Iowa Barnstormers, and became a sensation in that league and gained the confidence and experience that allowed him to go on to the NFL and be successful after Trent Green got hurt.

October 23rd, 2011 6:31 pm

12. sledpunch

You guys are missing a key ingredient here with Walsh. Though he was good sometimes, he was much better with Tom Razzano. Razanno was Walsh’s O-line. Walsh wasn’t great on his own, even he needed another pair of eyes. Which is why I wish 9ers would put Razzano jr. back on staff.

We missed our chance with Nate Davis and now he’ll have to claw his way back to NFL via Arena league (signed with KC) a la Warner.

October 23rd, 2011 7:29 pm

13. Dan

@Mike, I think I remember reading something like that. I think he asked the coaches to give his practice reps to the other QBs. It would have been hard for Warner to unseat Favre, and he probably needed that Arena league experience to improve his confidence and timing. But wouldn’t that have been some duel with Favre? Obviously, Warner didn’t have as long a career as Favre, but his credentials are respectable: two Super Bowls, like Favre; two NFL MVP awards.

October 23rd, 2011 11:09 pm

14. lance w

has stanford played a good team yet?

October 23rd, 2011 11:37 pm

15. Lisbonio

JH made Stanford football in his image and is doing the same at Candlestick — hard, tough football featuring the running game. I thought it was Cardinals, not Cardinal. Is that the team name? Poor folks like me know little about a place like Stanford.

October 24th, 2011 6:48 am

It’s Cardinal singular as in the color cardinal. I always write it as a plural noun but it’s confusing.

October 24th, 2011 10:12 am

17. Lisbonio

Thanks!

October 24th, 2011 12:41 pm

18. Gopal

What would it take in trade bait for the Niners to get Luck, assuming they are already eliminated from the race?

Would Frank Gore and two firsts get the job done?

I’m not advocating this trade, just speculating on what the price tag might look like come April.

October 25th, 2011 1:18 pm