Janie McCauley from AP just asked Jim Harbaugh if he is an innovative play caller.

Without hesitating, Harbaugh replied, “This is a Greg Roman offense.”

Interesting. Enlightening.

Harbaugh said Roman designs most of the play book and calls the plays.

Before the season started I asked Harbaugh who calls the plays and he got all quiet and secretive in the Harbaugh-secretive manner like the entire world is at stake depending on how he answers. Now we know Roman, who is terrific, is in charge of the offense. And we also know Harbaugh trusts his generals and gives them credit.

Comments

This is your editor Lowell, I would love for you get a honest interview from a established player, not a kiss ass, and ask them even confidentially what is the biggest difference from last year to this, comparing the Rev to Harbaugh, disarray to believing, and I think that player should be Alex Smith although he is not established quite yet.Please run this in your next column. Thank you The Editor

November 2nd, 2011 1:22 pm

That sounds like a stretch..or twist. Singletary never called plays-but Gore up the middle 8 straight series was what he wanted.
    Those guards as recievers is discussed pregame-all week. Maybe,ask Harbaugh what he DOESN’T want called or what he’s not inclined to support, like that,or if he ever orders calls in..and be sly,sneak up on him like your going to ask him his opinion of the Oakland occupation,then…

November 2nd, 2011 1:33 pm

3. Dan

Interesting. I wonder how long it will be before Roman starts getting interviewed for head coaching jobs. I hope stays with the 49ers for a while.

November 2nd, 2011 1:49 pm

4. TJB in HMB

There is no intelligent design to the 49ers play-calling. It evolved slowly over eons from the Singletary era to the present.

November 2nd, 2011 1:49 pm

I think it’s a few degrees East of a West Coast Offense.
    -ALOHA-

November 2nd, 2011 2:02 pm

I call this offense “The Singletary”.
    They look more like the 85 Bears than the 84 Niners.
    Now we have Sapoaga starring as ” the Fridge ”
    Coach Singletary must be wondering why he couldn’t get it done…

November 2nd, 2011 2:08 pm

7. Lisbonio

Lock this staff down with offers you cannot refuse…

November 2nd, 2011 2:41 pm

8. MoragaJohn

That’s good isn’t it? I hope your not being facetious. I can’t tell sometimes. BTW, I heard Harbaugh’s latest weekly interview with the folks on KNBR’s morning show. I tried to compare this interview with the first one and as it turns out, I have to subjectively credit him with getting better at it. I was just wondering if you think Jim is getting a little better each day with press conferences? Also, I missed his post game handshake because Fox cut away before it occurred so I was wondering if you saw it and if so, do you think he is improving on post game handshakes like he said he would? :-)!!

November 2nd, 2011 4:08 pm

MoragaJohn, I wasn’t be facetious re: Greg Roman. Harbaugh is loosening up with the media.

November 2nd, 2011 4:38 pm

10. wolff1

Is it good, being loosened with the media? i don’t like it, I don’t want another Mariucci clown, I just like it, as it is, being secretive and all that, and talking as much as needed. Every clever person will notice, there’s something unique and truly honest in every of H’s interviews, he’s just who he is, and open, truly, unique, committed individual. People will say, no, he’s not open, he’s so secretive, but as a matter of fact, he is. Lowell, you’re the one baiting him most, sometimes with childish stuff about friends and all that, and it sounds childish and you making him look that way. it’s like, you’re exploiting him, for your own good and satisfaction, come one man, get a grip, we’re talking football here and wins, we don’t want any, “do you have any real friends in life”? of course he has, everyone has, he’s not a serial killer isn’t he? sometimes you sound jerky and immature. big up, stick more to the subject, don’t look always for the controversial.

November 2nd, 2011 6:15 pm

11. MoragaJohn

Thanks for the clarity! I’m glad… I didn’t think so. Does that mean that in your eyes, Jim is, in the manner of his mantra, getting a little bit better every day giving press conferences? Smile Lowell… I am ;-)

November 2nd, 2011 6:22 pm

Not sure where to put this but..for the manyith time lately I heard a caucasian American local sports host open a conversation with a black athlete by saying “Hey,Man”(Thanks man,ect,). They dont say that even to Joe Staley. If you never say Hey man,then dont start with black people. I mean,they dont say “Hello amigo”.. .to Latin players.
    Why are certain cultural boundrys so hard to follow?

November 3rd, 2011 1:39 pm

13. Lisbonio

Especially when “Yo dude!” is much more appropriate…

November 4th, 2011 2:13 pm

And speaking of football: What I said of how Janokowski got hurt? Showing off? He hasn’t spoken to the press in two weeks. CONFIRMED!
    How do I do it? I know how people are…

November 5th, 2011 8:54 am