Phil Simms is an opinionated football analyst. And for that I appreciate him. Recently, he said Andrew Luck does not make big time NFL throws and he questioned Luck’s arm strength.

I happen to disagree with these Simms opinions.

I’ve seen Luck play a lot and he has a big time arm and he makes big time throws. I mean, duh?

He probably doesn’t throw as hard as Brett Favre threw. So what? Neither did Joe Montana.

He probably doesn’t throw as hard as JaMarcus Russell. Double so what?

Luck is an A-plus NFL prospect and the league is salivating for him.

Comments

Phil Simms is probably upset that his son was a bust in the NFL, and Luck is exactly like what Peyton Manning was when he graduated.

November 4th, 2011 3:29 pm

Exactamundo Lowell!
    Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.
    Which is why Peyton Manning is helping the Colts suck for Luck.
    The iron man Peyton Manning, who never misses a start, just happens to need another “procedure” on his neck right before training camp which forces him to miss most, if not all of the season and of course, the entire team is disarray even though their backup QB has had quite a while in the system and should know how to run it but can barely hit an open WR and the running game is non-existant and oh yeah, the Oline can’t block and…O.K. I’ll stop.
    -ALOHA-

November 4th, 2011 3:31 pm

3. Mitch (route246)

I think he also said that Peyton Manning wasn’t that impressive either but developed his skills after coming into the league. I agree with Dave Razzano’s takes: “But more than one person who watches Luck on a weekly basis has been a tad critical of his overall ability. But don’t dare say anything critical of Luck in public. We all know he is perfect, right? It is alot easier to just go along blindly with consensus like several people, both inside and outside of the NFL do these days.”

I think it takes guts to go against the grain. How many people predicted that Cam Newton was not worthy of the 1st pick? It became blind consensus. That consensus was clearly wrong as Newton has shown he has the poise and skills to make it in the NFL.

We don’t know how well Luck will do in the NFL, any more than we did with JaMarcus Russell.

November 4th, 2011 3:40 pm

Simms also missed out on even mentioning a huge,huge,point-Luck calls many of the offense plays -right? What QB does that in college?
    Luck seems to be just as accurate as any at the long ball..It’s interesting to see luck hit that vs USC..and then Sunday watch Alex Smith throw long spirals to nowwhereland.
    I don’t think Simms could have made a worse way to ruin his credibilty then to be jealous of somebody less then half his age. Or,even as some have said-Simms is upset his own kid never was very good. I don’t even remember his kid.

November 4th, 2011 3:56 pm

Simms is a blowhard. He probably hadn’t seen him play til the USC game last week. I hate it when media types just say things for effect without putting any real work into it. If he just studied him a bit more, he’d see how moronic his statements are.

November 4th, 2011 4:08 pm

6. One Puzzle Piece Short

That’s everybody’s favorite fault with college QBs, arm strength. Even if it is true, strength is the easiest thing to build. It’s the mental part that’s so difficult to develop (JaBustus being the example in excelsis).

November 4th, 2011 4:25 pm

7. Howard Reyes

Regarding Phil Simms comments on Andrew Luck: a) valuable if other teams hold off on Luck until the Niners pick; b) sounds like Phil’s got draft-scout-itis, as in “all ya have to do is check measurables, the 40-time, Wonderlic etc.”; c) didn’t Jim Druckenmiller have a “big-time arm”, and not much else? I agree completely with Lowell and would take Luck’s football smarts, heart, and penchant for winning in a heartbeat!

November 4th, 2011 4:51 pm

8. Jack Orion

Calling any NCAA qb a sure thing for the NFL is ridiculous. More power to Sims for questioning the foamy conventional (and boring) wisdom that’s rampant around here. Ndamukong Suh has been the only NCAA sure thing that gets more sure as his NFL career continues. QBs are a crap-shoot.

November 4th, 2011 5:51 pm

9. Loneraider78

^
    What he said.

1) Sure, Simms is a windbag. All these ex players turned analysts are windbags. QBs are the worst though. Theismann, Simms, Jaws, and Esiason’s a windbag too. Marino’s pretty good, but the others are just vicariously reliving their glory years through reminding everyone how much they know about football.

2) I’m not completely sold on Luck either. Stanford is just blowing teams off the field. How much can you know about Luck when he never has to play from behind? Never has any pressure on him? Sure, they pulled out the USC game but USC isn’t the powerful team they’ve been in the past.

3) Many a great QB survived and excelled without throwing the ball a mile. Steve Young anyone?

November 4th, 2011 6:17 pm

10. dennypat

I remember Simms saying he was just as good as Montana (jealous).
    He is probably down on A. Luck because his son didn’t get this type of hype (jealous again).

November 4th, 2011 6:24 pm

Luck is a total package and for sure the NFL is salivating over him. Notice the cliche “total package”.

November 4th, 2011 6:48 pm

12. james

Simms is just like all those espn know it all clowns. I’ve always felt Phil Simms was way overrated as an nfl quarterback.I actually believe Jeff Hostetler was a better quarterback than Phil Simms.

November 4th, 2011 7:14 pm

13. james

Phil Simms if you really think about it is not only criticizing and questioning Andrew Luck’s abilities, but he’s also indirectly criticizing and questioning Jim Harbaugh’s coaching ability as well and that is well just plain stupid.

November 4th, 2011 7:26 pm

14. Peter

Maybe Simms gave his opinion without much first hand observation of Stanford and Luck beyond the USC game. I think he’s got a lot going on with CBS and other official NFL programming, and to what extent does he follow college – even high profile players? Asked a question he gave his first impression.

It’s understandable to project Luck in the pros, but let us enjoy his coillegiate game. I’m sure Luck is.

November 4th, 2011 7:56 pm

15. latopia

Don’t know what Simms said exactly, but after watching Stanford v. USC, I’m no longer convinced Luck is a such a sure thing at the next level without something similar to the Harbaugh/Roman/Shaw balanced offense w/running game to make him shine. Those guys do a lot to create favorable matchups. Luck could easily land on the wrong team with the wrong scheme and the mistaken mindset that 1 size fits all.

November 4th, 2011 8:13 pm

16. Lisbonio

Luck will be a Colt. Means once in his career he’ll get a ring…

November 4th, 2011 8:32 pm

17. B-Rad

A few other Phil Simms-isms:
    –”I haven’t thought about it. I’m not capable of deep thinking.”
    –”I remember one time, playing for the Giants, when we were
    playing the unbeatable Dallas Cowboys, they were 8-1.”
    –”You can’t see how big a guy is until you see him.”
    –”Sometimes I say this all the time.”

November 4th, 2011 9:09 pm

18. Kay

November 4th, 2011 10:12 pm

19. glenellen

Good Knowledge Neal !

November 5th, 2011 12:00 am

20. Zevi

I saw Simms make the comments on Inside the NFL. I think he was trying to be contrarian and didn’t believe everything that he said. (He seemed to agree with Chris Collinsworth even though Collinsworth said Luck will be the 1st pick). But I think Simms was correct to say that the hype surrounding Luck is getting out of control, and it may be impossible for anybody to live up to it.

Lowell, do you think Joe Montana would have lived up to the hype as the 1st pick of the draft? Did it help Montana and Brady to drop a few rounds and avoid the extra pressure?

November 5th, 2011 12:12 am

21. Zevi

On Yahoo, Mike Silver predicted that Shanahan will lead the Redskins to an upset on Sunday. Like Stan says, an early road game on the east coast is never easy. But losing to the Redskins would be embarrassing. (I hope I don’t have to see that postgame handshake).

November 5th, 2011 12:17 am

22. Tommy CostaRica

Simms is a New York guy. Not just a New York guy but a New York Giants guy. And he is typical of those east coast sports fans that hate anything west coast. He’s still po’d at Ronnie Lott after we went into New York and he could only muster up a field goal and we kicked their rears 7 – 3.

November 5th, 2011 6:53 am

23. Mike

I wonder if Luck is as physically strong as Druckenmiller. Probably not, so let him slip to the Niners!

November 5th, 2011 8:09 am

Since when do we care what Phil Simms thinks? Now if Mel Kiper said it that would be different and worth debating. Botom line is that Andrew Luck will be the number one pick as he wil be the least risky QB coming out since Payton Manning. I don’t care what Phil Simms has to say about it.

November 5th, 2011 9:28 am

Agreeing with Latopia, Luck’s success in the NFL will depend on the system he lands in. Montana was the king mostly because Walsh and his system were a perfect match fir his skill set.
    Joe would not have been as great in a Raider like vertical system.
    A big part of the reason Cam Newton has been so successful this year is that Carolina took the Auburn playbook to kinkos.
    I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see Luck pull an Elway/Eli move and dictate the team he goes to.

November 5th, 2011 12:04 pm

26. glenellen

When I think of Phil Simms, I remember a game Ron Lott smacked him pretty good.
    At the end of the game Simms was acting like a baby about it. Thats all I think of every time I see the guy. I remember him being a sore loser.

November 5th, 2011 12:25 pm

I’ve been thinkin since Neals post-set us straight on the “paid Insiders” beef. C’mon Lowell-tell us the true story. I knew something was up over a month ago when you deleted a post just because I asked (way before the story came out) why arent you on 95.7 more often?
    And now this..so-is it also creating a riff between who’s paid and not? And is it a personal insult to see Ratto pais while you and KA and MO are not? Tell us the truth.
    The one difference between you and the others? Your not just a name..you say where you live,you have a family..a cat-lol. The others? Secretive. In all these years Kawakami has only revealed he likes pizza-and that was through YOU. Same for Purdy,Poole..just names to us. They might as well be in witness protection programs..
    BE THE REAL PERSON..what’s your deal??…hee.

November 5th, 2011 1:35 pm

28. RC

Hello Lowell,

Wondering if you had any thoughts on Joe Frazier, and his boxing legacy?

November 5th, 2011 5:57 pm

29. Jim Bancroft

Wow, to read the comments you’d think Simms called Luck a Frankensten’s mix of Ryan Leaf and Russell.

Some mild criticisms –if you can even call them that– of his arm strength and lack of clutch comebacks (Yes, the USC win last week was exciting, but USC isn’t a powerhouse and what’s this? Andrew threw a pick-six? Never happened!) hardly count as a savaging.

I think Luck has a good career ahead of him but this adulatory bubble reminds me of the bizarre overpraising President Obama received during the 2008 campaign. Before anyone starts in, I am not claiming an exact comparison.

But will the same grumpiness and buyer’s remorse result once Luck has his first bad game, which will be rather early in his NFL career given the teams he’s likely to join? Luck could use a few barbs tossed his way now, to toughen his skin and dampen expectations, from lunar orbit down to the stratosphere.

November 5th, 2011 9:26 pm

RC. Joe Frazier is an all-time top 10 heavyweight, great fighter, great champ — gave Ali a terrible time, had trouble with big tall men who hit hard, ie Foreman.

November 6th, 2011 8:17 am

31. Rc

Appreciate that Lowell.

November 6th, 2011 2:41 pm

32. CC Jeff

Joe was all heart, guts, and always showed up in tremendous shape. In my opinion he was a one dimensional fighter who got by solely on his relentless attack and lion heart. i might concede a top ten spot for him, like # 10 maybe. The spectacle of his quick destruction at the hands of George always comes to mind when Joe’s name is brought up as an all time great. Don’t ask for my top ten all time list.

November 6th, 2011 5:19 pm