Here is my column on Saturday’s Big Game which will be played at Stanford at the late hour of 7:15 pm, too late for many newspapers to cover it comfortably. I attended Monday’s Big Game media luncheon in San Francisco, spoke to Cal coach Jeff Tedford and Stanford’s coach David Shaw and Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, and came away with the firm conclusion that Cal sure could benefit by winning this game. To read my column please click here.

Comments

I can’t tell what kind of coach,Shaw is-he inherited a great team and all time great QB. It’s like with Siefert-was it him or was it his Walshex?(old joke for old people). When Andy Luck is gone..then we will see what’s coaching-and also recruiting.
    And that 10 year thing is for pro coaches who see vets year after year..in colleges great coaches cant be killed off. Woody and Bear and..all like that.
    Look-I’ve touted Harbaugh since pre Singletary as next 49er -Raider too- head coach..I KNOW and knew, he’s got it..and I wrote a couple of years ago he’s a Strange De Jim (Herb Caen folks joke)but that unconventional never bothered me. Even if Jim -in his mind-is a staight arrow,Green Beret type.
    Tedford? Big fish in ,etc,-you heard me say that..and its as true now as ever. I think that’s good enough for Cal. Think Holmoe and Tedford is cool water.

November 14th, 2011 4:45 pm

2. Joe Sanchez

We’ll see how Shaw does next year after Luck leaves. It’s like Dungy-Caldwell, and how is Caldwell doing after his star QB is sitting out a season?

Lowell I don’t get the point of the column. Did you really need to attend the luncheon to come to the conclusion that Cal “could benefit by winning this game”? We could benefit every year by winning the Big Game. You did hint at Cal’s problems – a tired Tedford and QB development problems. But winning Saturday’s game won’t fix those things.

November 14th, 2011 6:29 pm

3. John_in_Memphis

I went to Cal. Remember how bad the Bears were between the Mariucci and Tedford era? Just awful. I think the Cal football is going to be a perennial 7-5 or 6-6 team as long as Tedford is here…good enough to beat the non-conference cupcakes they schedule and win a few games against the Pac-12 dregs (Wazzu, Oregon St, Arizona, etc.) But they will never beat the big boys (Oregon, Stanford, USC).

November 14th, 2011 6:46 pm

4. B-Rad

If Stanford and Cal could have swapped wide receivers last
    Saturday, the Oregon ‘D’ would have had a problem.

November 14th, 2011 7:10 pm

5. lance w

John-in-Memphis – Cal has lost 10 out of their last 13 to “dreg” OSU. Sounds like you went to Cal and followed Pac 10 football when they wore leather helmets. Looking over their past few years, they have beaten at least one of your big boys each year. Sorry, I am OSU fan and they are having a tough year.

November 14th, 2011 10:56 pm

6. Doug A

Sure Cal could really use a victory, but it better get good QB play and DB play along the way.

I predict that Stanford will have a huge dropoff after Luck leaves — remember Cal after Mariucci? The parallels are there.

As for Tedford, when is he going to develop a good QB again? Why aren’t topflight recruits lining up to go to Cal, especially with their typically fantastic WRs. In fact, Cal’s ability to recruit has been the reason that Cal has been relatively decent despite not having a topflight QB.

November 15th, 2011 8:01 am

I too have serious doubts about Shaw after last week. I think it’s clear Oregon was the better team. But we should have competed at the very least. We didn’t. The team looked completely unprepared in their only truly important game of the season. Who cares that we beat Washington for crying out loud. The USC game was obviously a wake up call for us all, but somehow we tried to write it off as a bad week or an off game. Stanford simply isn’t nearly as good as we thought/hoped. That realization has to lead to a serious letdown this week. Cal is finding itself to some extent at this point of the season. I think it’ll be competitive.

November 15th, 2011 11:36 am

8. TJB in HMB

Stanford has gotten confused and think that they should “suck for Luck”.

November 15th, 2011 12:52 pm

9. bigandbold

Don’t take it personal Lance Dub… It’s just that OSU’s loong skid in the mid-90′s has clouded most people’s perceptions… I learned my lesson in ’96… Triple OT thriller where OSU just refused to go away… Barnes scores on a short keeper for the win… I’ve given OSU all due respect since then…

November 15th, 2011 1:10 pm

10. John_in_Memphis

@lance w

True. OSU has beaten Cal 10 out of 13 times. Worst of all was that black night 2007. So yes you ‘own’ us in football.

But, I went to Cal while you went to Oregon St., so I beat you at the game of life *smile*

November 15th, 2011 3:54 pm

11. Kenwood Mick

Tedford is the highest paid employee of the State of California…..Why?
    Students are being forced into serious debt to attend Cal (and most other universities in the US ) and yet we,the citizens, pay the football coach 5-10 times more than we pay the President of the US….what does that say about our priorities as a society?

November 16th, 2011 10:52 am

12. lance w

Thanks bigandbold for the respect of OSU. And John_in_Memphis, you are probably right. How did you know I went to OSU? I guess anyone around here rootin for OSU had to go there. Good guess. I see the smile.

November 16th, 2011 9:16 pm

My pronouncement for the day? Cal might be the better team. Put Luck as Cal QB,they might be 9-0. Typical of Tedford to recruit quality everywhere except at QB. And Jeff sure is no offensive guru.
    Stanford’s injuries,overrated,playing at their real level…could lead to a Cal upset win.

ps,I think you should look for Shaw to try a few gadget plays..a hunch.

November 19th, 2011 12:42 pm