Hue Jackson today spoke about Rolando McClain at his weekly news conference. He explained why he said harsh things about McClain early on but backed down from those remarks later and let McClain play in Sunday’s defeat in Miami. I believe Jackson means to do and say the right things. I still am not impressed by how he handled this situation and I think it may have implications for the kind of leader he is. I wrote my Tuesday column about all this and to read it please click here.

Comments

1. dennypat

The reports about Rolando’s actions in Alabama are not good.

December 5th, 2011 6:00 pm

2. Ghost of Al

Unless the NFL fines or suspends Romac, its an in-house issue that will remain in-house no matter what the court of public opinion is. The victim is highly questionable at that. Hue Jackson will not allow 1 player to disrupt the chemistry of the 52 others and my guess is will play him in this tight division race. If the Raiders continue to succeed all is forgotten. If they fail #55 is the scapegoat.

December 5th, 2011 6:17 pm

I notice too,Hue does tend to cover all bases in his arguments..he wants to make his moves and not leave room for the second guessers.
    The problem with McClain was,it would have been better to bench him for what he knew already …at a Grandfathers funeral and caught riding around with the guys and a gun. I haven’t read that it wasn’t his car or gun. What it now looks like?-Hue simply caved in to the pressure to win. NOT GOOD,with all that has happened in sports and coaching in the news.
    Hue sort of says he’s above it all..but, what he did is what any coach wanting to win at any cost would do. And he lost.

December 5th, 2011 6:43 pm

4. ollie hoop

Unfortunately for the Raiders, Jackson has very little actual leadership experience. He was handed the Raiders as his personal fiefdom as a result of Al Davis’s illness and then death. So he bypassed the normal proving process an up-and-coming coach would be subject to. He’s learning on the job, and it shows.

December 5th, 2011 7:04 pm

I think its unfair to criticize “coach” Jackson in this situation………this was an evolving situation that needed time to be hashed out, and if the media would have backed off and waited a few days instead of asking Hue 4 days in a row on whats happening, then you probably wouldn’t of gotten 4 different positions on the matter………this is where I really have a problem with the media sticking there noses in things thats none of there business……and this goes for the Sandusky thing as well……its really nobody’s business but the people involved……. the acussers, the acussed, and the people investigating……..the obnoxious media coverage of crimes like these creates a lynch mob reaction and is just wrong.

December 5th, 2011 8:23 pm

6. eb

Lowell, you keep mentioning Jackson’s use of the third person and I don’t understand why that bothers you so much. He has just as large of an ego as any head coach. Do you honestly believe Mr. Socially Awkward Harbaugh has any less of an ego because he communicates differently than Hue?

December 5th, 2011 9:13 pm

7. Johnny Christo

Lowell, should I just send the book to the PD?

December 5th, 2011 9:45 pm

8. Johnny Christo

Lowell, didn’t read your post, so dismiss as you see fit, but…

Hue Jackson is EXACTLY what the Raiders need. Sure he is smooth-talking sure he loves the video. But hey, he’s got charisma & knowledge which are okay!!! Getting a good QB who wants to stay is no all fear, and letting a guy off the hook for a defensive indiscretion (when the alternative was another timid cat) was not a miss-step. I think Hue IS the answer, and I don’t give 2 kakas for the Raiders!

December 5th, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks, Johnny Christo, I can get it on my own. I’m rarely actually at the PD.

December 5th, 2011 10:23 pm

10. Grimbold Romanavolatature

Jackson should have just kept his mouth shut through the whole affair, just like Boeheim should have STHU. Just pawn the reporters off with some pabulum with “information gathering” or “fact-finding” or “we’re working with authorities to resolve these issues.” Instead, he looks either weak-willed or that he doesn’t know his own mind on the subject, neither of which can be construed as “leader” qualities.

December 5th, 2011 10:47 pm

11. MoragaJohn

Lowell, I could not agree more… the evidence against Hue’s leadership abilities is beginning to trend southward IMO… but more so, it’s the public bravado that gives me pause. Some wise man once told me… beware of those who talk too much… or maybe I just heard that somewhere? Anyway, I have found that to be sage advice more often than not. Hopefully, the substance is there somewhere!

eb, First, I think the point about illeism is that by definition it is most often used to reinforce self promotion and elicit an aura of grandeur… which most people do find objectionable to some degree… I do. Second, IMO, the difference between Jim Harbaugh and Hue Jackson is more than mere ego… it’s really substance… one guy has some and the other guy doesn’t seem to have shown much yet.

December 5th, 2011 11:10 pm

12. blue collar guy

Hue-ge Ego should have kept his mouth shut. But he loves the limelight, doesn’t he? He could have said “I can’t comment until I have all the information.” Not that hard. The Raiders are going down again. Yet again.

December 6th, 2011 8:27 am

13. Brad

It’s funny how different Harbaugh and Jackson are. Jackson makes sure he is the self-proclaimed “leader” of the team and puts the entire blame on himself after losses as if he is the only reason the team wins or loses. As for Harbaugh, he always diminishes his role on the team saying that it’s all about the players (those “mighty men”). It’s a pretty striking difference and I think Harbaugh’s approach is much more sustainable and admirable one.

December 6th, 2011 8:51 am

14. Lisbonio

Highly doubt that Hue will be here next year…

December 6th, 2011 9:16 am

Speaking of being disingenuous, Billy Beane was on Comcast..and again pushed the big lie..and worse,you could see for your own eyes Beane squirm in his chair when asked if he’s going to trade his best pitchers and then got downright shifty when asked by Papa why he waits for 2 and a half year for Selig to give him an answer? Beane-like Wolff- got agitated-and seemed in no hurry to push for what he claims holds the franchise down!..he might as well as wished Selig best and “Take more time bud”!
    I see this ownership group as near Dodger like..willing to gut the team for the money gain of the greedy Owners. Money,is their only reason to want the team-and that goes for Beane in particular.

December 6th, 2011 9:35 am

What a joke…the Raiders just can’t keep it together for a full season…
    Jackson needed to be decisive and suspend the punk…lets work out Jabustus next…
    Lucky for McClain he did it in Alabama…in a real state he’d be doing 6-12 right now…just ask Plaxico…all he did was shoot HIMSELF in the leg…

December 6th, 2011 10:06 am

17. 5decadefan

The Raiders really haven’t changed that much, have they? And, if something can be handled “in-house” while the winning continues, then so much the better. There’s another team in America which utilizes the same principle–ummm, oh yea, Penn St.–who got caught and is now trying to resurrect their image. As for Hue Jackson, I don’t trust him at all. I suspect that one in the future, Amy Trask will have to step in and fire Jackson.

December 6th, 2011 10:41 am

18. eb

@MoragaJohn Substance? You mean like playing make believe about being “blue collar” by wearing faux “worker” shirts or giving one word answers to the press or calling adult professionals “mighty men?” Look, Harbaugh is seemingly doing a great job, but the only real difference between the two is three games. They are both guys with an ego who are quite competitive. Also, people need to understand that Jackson has had to deal with FAR more obstacles this year than most rookie head coaches (injuries, death of owner/gm).

December 6th, 2011 10:49 am

19. LONERAIDER78

I think it would’ve been a better PR move to sit McClain, no doubt. But my biggest issue isn’t a football issue, it’s a societal issue. Let’s say McClain did make a man beg to not be shot, and then fired the gun next to his head, why is he out on a measly $2000 bond? I would think assault with a deadly weapon would merit a longer jail stay and a much larger bail.

The fact that the Alabama authorities released McClain in that manner leads me to believe that what’s being reported didn’t really happen that way ot that they don’t take serious violent crimes all that serious.

It’s a fine line, but if the police felt McClain was fit for release on basically nothing, than Jackson should be able to play him. As we’ve seen all year, jackson is trying to win the division, and he’s obviously willing to make great sacrifices to do it (see Carson Palmer deal). The Raiders need every able body out there right now, even the ones with legal troubles.

December 6th, 2011 12:14 pm

Remember when Lisbonio first apologized for his bad broken English? NOW,he speaks gooder then me.In two months..man,THAT’S a fast learner..wink-wink.

December 6th, 2011 12:54 pm

21. Kenwood Mick

Eb says “Harbaugh is seemingly doing a great job”…….seemingly ??..
    really ??

December 6th, 2011 1:12 pm

22. eb

@Kenwood Mick Really, that’s what you took out of my post? I say seemingly because teams have been known to have great years then come back down. Did you notice the Atlanta Falcons were 13-3 last year? The 49ers are a good team and Harbaugh is seemingly the reason for the turn around. Give me a couple of years of this and I’ll say emphatically that he is great. Anyways, my original point is that Jackson is doing a good job given the circumstances and these weird predictions of him being fired and the name calling seems out of place. People seem to forget Gruden went 8-8 his first two seasons. Give the man time.

December 6th, 2011 1:54 pm

23. LONERAIDER78

Tiburon Dave, they can’t keep it together? Who could? Let’s see, their original starting QB broke his collarbone, their elite starting RB has missed a month, both their fast young WRs are sidelined, and the other one almost broke his neck two weeks ago. Not to mention Al Davis–remember him?– passed away during the season, and now our young, supposedly top tier MLB is due in court for almost killing someone. They’re STILL 7-5 with a shot at the division. Hue deserves more credit than people are giving him.

December 6th, 2011 2:12 pm

24. Brett

To quote you Lowell – “Srong leaders know when to say the minimum”, along with the rest of that paragraph, you discribed Jim Harbaugh exactly.

December 6th, 2011 3:17 pm

Lowell, if Davis was still alive and well, do you think that McClain would of played?

December 6th, 2011 3:27 pm

Well,I get EB-but Harbaugh has won wherever he coached…Alex Smith is the wet nurse meek anal guy who needs a coach of the stature of a Urban (what kind of name is that for a.. ?)Meyer or a Harbaugh man- or he flounders.

December 6th, 2011 3:42 pm

Neal, Yes, I believe McClain would have played.

December 6th, 2011 3:44 pm

28. MoragaJohn

@eb… substance is “doing” not “talking”. I’m just saying Hue might try and do a little less talking and more doing. McClain should have sat… Raiders are still the highest penalized team in the NFL… the Miami loss wasn’t just a loss, it was blowout.

@Loneraider78… reason McClain only got a $2000 bond was because in Alabama, what he did is only a misdemeanor? BUT, IMO, it isn’t so much about the scope of what he was accused of doing… BUT the fact that he was involved in it at all. Shows something about his character and I agree with Lowell, I think not handling it shows something about Hues.

December 6th, 2011 9:41 pm

29. johnc

Hue Jackson talks too much. If Al Davis was around he would be starting to distance himself . He would be in the stage where nothing would please him..not winning or not winning by enough points and asking himself why he hired this crumby coach lol.

December 6th, 2011 10:38 pm

30. johnc

Of course I am almost quoting you verbatim Lowell from one of favorite columns.

December 6th, 2011 10:41 pm

31. eb

@MoragaJohn The Raiders were a highly penalized team under Gruden, Flores, Madden, etc. This has been a trend since the team’s inception, whether this is due to a subliminal reaction by the refs or a franchise philosophy or sloppy play, bottom line is the team has won and lost with this issue. To say Hue should stop something right away that Madden, Gruden or Flores couldn’t seems like wishful thinking.
    As for the character of Hue and McClain, way to lay judgement on people you don’t even know. Tell me, do you think Joe Montana and Eddie D. have character issues? One was diving into coke, allegedly, and the other was accused of sexually assaulting a woman. Did you root for them at all?
    Hue is a good offensive mind and his ability to be a head coach will play out. He also seems like a very nice person all bravado aside. At 7-5, after all that has happened this year, I’m still behind the guy.

December 7th, 2011 1:40 am

32. MoragaJohn

@eb… hey eb, not trying to change your opinion… stick to it. Just trying to suggest another way to analyze the data as it comes in.

December 7th, 2011 9:32 am

33. LONERAIDER78

MoragaJohn, my point is that personal conduct should be governed by the laws of the land, not the PR dept. of the NFL. Since the Alabama authorities released McClain for basically nothing, I’d say morality got sold for a pretty cheap price. Hue could’ve appeased PR and benched him, and he probably should have. But from a coaching standpoint, it’s not his job to prosecute and sentence, his job is to win a game. I didn’t see anyone from the league office step in and say McClain needs to be benched until more is known. Hue had an available player and he played him. Simple as that.

December 7th, 2011 9:55 am

Hello eb & Loneraider78…
    McClain is 22 and clearly a knucklehead…Hue set a good tone in his first reaction when he talked about 52 guys doing the right thing need to leave behind the 1 guy who isn’t…
    Set a tone for your organization and see to it that these young kids learn to live up to it…Hue’s first instinct was the correct one…
    Now he has nothing to say to the next knucklehead…
    BTW…Eddie D was never a good guy…and he’s got a felony conviction to prove it…

December 7th, 2011 11:00 am

35. eb

@MoragaJohn I gotcha, just doing the same.

December 7th, 2011 12:06 pm