Major League Baseball will add two wild-card teams — one from each league — for this season’s playoffs. The two wild-card teams in each league will play each other in a sudden-death, one-game playoff and the winner will move on. This move is a cause for some debate. Baseball purists certainly will dislike it. They will say it taints the game, or cheapens the playoffs or something like that. I like the change. To read my Friday column which analyzes it, please click here.

Comments

1. Capts

The issue for me is the format. A one game playoff doesn’t tell you who the better team is, but who has the hotter head of the rotation. Even the five game series falls short. Seven games will illustrate the depth of the two team’s rotation, bullpen and overall offense, in my opinion.

March 1st, 2012 7:06 pm

2. Brandon Conway

The best aspect of the one-game playoff between Wild Card teams is that it guarantees two win-or-go-home games every post season. Baseball needs high profile playoff games.

March 1st, 2012 7:33 pm

So a team that takes third place in their divinson , can win the World Series because they win one playoff game. Dumb, it discounts the entire season.

March 1st, 2012 9:22 pm

Speaking of Brooklyn , In the era of the Brooklyn Dodgers the playoff formula was that the team with the best record in the American league played the team with the best record in the National League . Winning the Pennant meant something then.
    Not sure I am a fan of more playoff gimmicks. Winning one game in baseball is not a true test of anything.

March 1st, 2012 10:24 pm

5. jason

> So a team that takes third place in their divinson , can win the World Series

Apparently that is currently true in the NFL, NHL, and the NBA.
    The MLB is not breaking new grounds here.

March 2nd, 2012 12:32 am

6. MJ

This is a joke. I believe it was Michael Urban yesterday who gave the example of two teams vying for the wild card, one of those teams is also in a battle for their division title too (say SF with 92 wins trying to catch Az) and the other team trails in its division by 10 games (say the Braves with 82 wins, trailing Phili).

The Giants are going to go all out to try and win their division, whereas the Braves, knowing they’re 10 games out with 3 to go, have no shot at their division, will rest their #1. Say SF is tied with AZ with one game left and so they pitch Tim in that game, they lose and now they don’t have their number one starter for that joke of a play-in game. Braves, with their #1 rested, win, and an 82 win team goes on whereas the 92 win team, who in any year before this would have been in the wild card round, is now at home.

And this is good for baseball how? And lets not add in the fact that the season runs 2 weeks too long to begin with. Just stop already, lets create more double headers, and have the World Series play out in the early part of October.

March 2nd, 2012 7:27 am

At first I didn’t like the idea. Not from the purity standpoint, because I agree with you about the loss of purity with the DH. I didn’t like the idea because I didn’t understand it and because baseball already has too many playoff games that I have no interest in. But after reading your column I have changed my mind. I now like the idea. In fact, I am in favor of all the playoff games being one and done until we get to the world series.

And for all of you who say that you really need a 7 game serries between teams for the better team to prevail I would remind that the Cardinals were not the best team in baseball last year – they were the hottest team at the right time. And that is the way it has been since the playoff system was created. So let’s shorten the baseball playoffs so that we can focus on football in October!

March 2nd, 2012 8:01 am

8. Bob

We already have the play-in game for teams that end up tied for a division title or wild card spot. Sure it discounts the entire season that preceded it, but they sure are fun to watch.

March 2nd, 2012 12:34 pm

I think a one game playoff for a wildcard spot is disengenuous. It might add drama but it might also incur wrath when fans realize that you need at least a best of two out of three to be fair in baseball. Why even play a one game playoff?…just flip a coin!

March 2nd, 2012 4:21 pm