I promised you this column on Bill Walsh a day ago. It got delayed in publication — things like that happen depending on the flow of news in daily newspapers — so here it is now. Former Redskins defensive tackle Dexter Manley, as you may know, accused Bill Walsh of offering bounties to his players to hurt opposing players in the 1980s. To me, this sounded fishy. I did some research and came up with this column, and to read it please click here.

Comments

It looks like Manning has narrowed his interests to the Arizona Cardinals and the Denver Broncos. If Manning goes to the Cardinals I can imagine what you are going to do with that story..lol for the next two years..

March 12th, 2012 1:52 am

2. Dan

Ah, I was wondering where that column had gone. Good to hear from vonAppen. I don’t remember the specifics of that game, just the details as written in Rough Magic and, I think, Building a Champion.

I thought that’s what Manley was referring to, but I can’t believe that Walsh would ever offer bounties. As a coach, he was always trying to get his players to retire earlier than they wanted for fear that they would suffer long-term health problems.

For what it’s worth, Kyle Williams executed a similar type of block on Cameron Jordan to spring Alex Smith on that 28-yard run touchdown run around left end against the Saints in the playoffs. Of course, Williams is not as big as Russ Francis …

March 12th, 2012 2:38 am

Does Manley even understand the definition of “Bounty” ?..as in paid under the table to hurt other players?. Doesn’t seem like he does. Where does he prove money was paid out? All he’s doing is sour grapes that Walsh had designed a play that worked to slow him. Whats been done by every team since plays were invented.
    Dexter aint the brightest bulb at Home Depot…

March 12th, 2012 8:42 am

4. Vijay

Lowell,

Great column and from what I’ve read about your writing, you definitely have interacted with Bill Walsh a lot. What the Saints have done is pretty pathetic and definitely it’s a big shame on Sean Payton more than to Greg Williams.

March 12th, 2012 10:13 am

He sure sucked when he coached at U.H.
    But then again…it’s U.H.
    -ALOHA-

March 12th, 2012 3:59 pm

football people are hilarious…….”bounties are so damn unethical”…….yeah right, and Jeff Stover picking up Jim Plunkett and smashing him to the ground for no reason, separating his shoulder and ending his season IS ethical…….to play and coach in the NFL, and all pro sports for that matter, you have to be a professional liar and a hypocrite, thats for sure.

March 12th, 2012 9:17 pm