The Santa Rosa Press Democrat just posted my Tuesday column. It’s about Alex Smith unless Randy Moss signs with the Niners tonight. In that case, we’ll toss the Alex Smith, or actually hold it a day. Got that? Anyway, it is in Smith’s best interest to sign with the Niners, say, this very minute and not mess around with free agency or testing the waters or gauging his value in the league. Just sign the dotted line, dude. To read my argument supporting this contention, please click ici.

Comments

I’m just happy to see you use the word dude.
    I think he signs Monday night, Tuesday morning at the latest.
    No free agency for now.
    -ALOHA-

March 12th, 2012 6:08 pm

thanks, dude

March 12th, 2012 6:09 pm

3. Streetglide

Lowell, when you write like this doozy, you are one of the best ever. There’s a little Elmore Leonard in this one you sly fox…

March 12th, 2012 6:13 pm

Last I heard Smith said it wasnt true about demanding five years and he was on the verge of a three year agreement.

NOW,if he wasnt…For six years of losing,being benched, getting injured and for actually being beaten out in head to head comp. by Shaun Hill, JT O’Sullivan..even Troy Smith…Alex Smith was STILL paid so many millions,he has enough money to live the rest of his life without another dollar made.
    Not too mention,he wont find another Harbaugh out there..even John H. isnt Jim,and wont beat Alex’s shoulder pads like “Coach Jim”.
    It’s not even good for his ego to test the waters..just the opposite..the waters are cold and smelly for Alex.
    Nope-he needs to use his massive education and figure out change for him has been done plenty enough. Time for the same for Alex.

March 12th, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks, Streetglide, I love Elmore Leonard.

March 12th, 2012 6:16 pm

That was funny Lowell calling him dude, although he plays mostly like a dudette. Yea I think The Niners should add another week to his contract to make him feel better.

March 12th, 2012 6:30 pm

7. niner md

Good read. I cant see him betting on himself. I think he signs tonight or tomorrow right before Free agency begins. He would be a fool not to. After eveything he has been through and the bullets he’s dodged just to remain here, NO WAY he leaves like this.

March 12th, 2012 6:49 pm

8. htwaits

I like Elmore Leonard too dude.

About one of your suppositions:

“Or does he see this as his one and only chance for safety and security?”

Do you really think that, given Alex Smith’s personality, that he still needs financial safety and security? I don’t recall him ever using the “put food on the table” line, and in light of his $38M gross income the past seven years, I think he may already see himself as safe and secure.

I think he just wants to play football and prove himself, so I agree that the 49ers are the team that will give him the best chance.

I disagree that “testing the waters” or “sticking his toe in” will be a problem for him or the team. He will still be most likely to sign with the 49ers unless the Seahawks to crazy.

March 12th, 2012 6:53 pm

9. Paul C. Garrett

Abacus! LOL! Great analogy with Tim Lincecum — who counts the days to free-agency.

The big RISK for Alex on a one year deal is the developement fo Colin Kaepernick. The 2013 season, he’ll be heading into his 3rd year with the team, seemingly ready to take the reigns. The 49ers have a brutal non-conference schedule this year … if Alex leads the team to an 8-8 finish and we miss the playoffs, there won’t be a longterm deal, with the 49ers or anyone else. Alex doesn’t have the stones to take a one-year deal. Which means he’ll grab the 3 year, I’m guessing 21 million they’ve put on the table.

March 13th, 2012 11:18 am

Alex will take the deal. This small drama has gotten my hopes up a bit that he’s actually got the hoootspa to give FA a go. Nothing would be more just than to see him wander out of town right now. But Alex is smart, if little else, and will take the crumbs offered here.

March 13th, 2012 11:56 am

Chutzpah

March 13th, 2012 12:03 pm

12. martin

Awesome!!!!

March 13th, 2012 4:19 pm

13. Fred G

I loved this collumn. Loved it!

March 14th, 2012 2:29 pm