A friend of mine had an inside look at Jim Harbaugh and Alex Smith at the AT&T golf at Pebble last month. On Tuesday of that week, Giants and 49ers have a history of playing each other in golf for charity. For the Giants it was, Krukow (Kuiper caddied for him), Dave Fleming, Will Clark and Matt Cain. For the 49ers: Alex Smith, Harbaugh, Jerry Rice, Harris Barton, Dwight Clark and Brent Jones.

“They were like rock stars,” my friend said. He said Cain’s drives were beyond belief far. After one particularly long drive Harbaugh jokingly felt Cain’s arm muscles. Smith’s drives were not far behind Cain’s.

“Harbaugh and Smith barely left each other’s sides,” my friend said. “Looking at them, you thought they would be together the next 10 years. That’s how close they seemed — nothing could ever come between them. And now this stuff with Manning is happening. That’s business.

“Alex caddied for Harbaugh down there. Let’s put it like this — you’re doing a guy a real favor when you caddie for him. You’re saying, ‘I like you. I’ll carry your clubs.’”

Comments

I just went on NFL.com. They have a whole bunch of videos about what is going on with Manning and who has the best shot at signing him. As you know there are 3 teams and after listening to the videos I give the 49ers a 25% chance, if that high. They interviewed his college offensive coordinator in one video who said that the best coach for Peyton would be the coach who lets Peyton run the offense. They showed a video clip of Peyton in college pretty much doing the same thing he did with the Colts. In other words he has always ran the offense. That just doesn’t fit with what we know about Harbaugh. Then there is the salary cap issue. They said in one video that Manning will get $20mil per year easy. That just doesn’t fit the 49ers salary cap situation, now that they signed Manningham and still need to sign draftees.
    The talking heads in one of the video’s agreed that the NIner’s are the most Super Bowl ready of the 3 teams, but Peyton with Denver or Tennessee would put them in contention just as much as the 49ers are. I think Alex will be coming back.

March 18th, 2012 12:19 pm

I have a really nice bottle of Pinot that I’m just waiting to pop open……the minute I hear that I never have to see Alex in our uni again. Even if we miss on Manning, hopefully Alex will move on all offended, and will make me almost as happy as getting Manning.

March 18th, 2012 3:39 pm

3. Capts

If Alex goes to Seattle and Manning goes to Tennessee. That would leave a lot of egg on the face of the 49ers.

March 18th, 2012 3:45 pm

4. glenellen

Well said Dennis. My first thought of Manning a 49er was that he would have to be given the keys to the car, and he would decide everything. And his assistant will be Roman.
    Did the 49ers already say ok?
    I think yes they did, or they would not be in the final 3.

March 18th, 2012 3:46 pm

Alex definitely is not going to Seattle. The Seahawks signed Matt Flynn.

March 18th, 2012 4:18 pm

6. player21

Peyton Manning in S.F. Why do you think they are 1 of the final 3.He likes something about san francisco, maybe its time to get that second superbowl ring. Don’t hatetheSan Francisco 49ers for going for it.

March 18th, 2012 4:34 pm

7. Jesse Bennett

I think that Alex should be grateful that Harbaugh gave him a chance and resurrected his career when most people thought he would never be a competent starting QB. He may have his feelings hurt but last year he was being talked about signing in San Diego to be a Backup in Norv Turners system behind Phillip Rivers. Even if we do not get Manning I believe the offense would be better eventually with Kaepernick as the
    QB.

March 18th, 2012 5:11 pm

8. lance w

Andrew Luck would caddie for Harbaugh. It doesn’t mean he has to play for him. Sadly, the fans in this case have more Junior High romance wrapped up in this drama than the actors. How many times do players and coaches have to say “Look, this is a business” before we, the fans, understand this. Just look at the Warriors who traded their best player (who actually plays) for a hurt guy with bones made of glass and a man who just recently tried to burn down the franchise.

March 18th, 2012 5:30 pm

9. Anthony

you guys are all idiots, smith had 4 comeback wins last year, without him to Vernon we had NO offense. We loose smith we are back were we started. YOu guys are like little children that can’t get over a grudge, people used to talk about Eli Manning like you guys all do Alex, now look at Eli. Idiots who have never played the game.

March 19th, 2012 1:10 pm