Take your emotion out of it. Think about Alex Smith and where he stands. The power has shifted from the Niners to him. The Niners, unless they are crazy, need Smith. So his agent, Condon can act as the advocate for a wronged player and ask for more than the Niners were willing to give. He can put the screws to the Niners. He should. Smith can benefit from Manning going to Denver. He should because the Niners need Smith.

Comments

1. Pretzel

The problem is the amount of years he wants. The 49ers will stand firm at 3 yrs and maybe bump up the guaranteed money.
    If any other team then the Dolphins is used for leverage, I would say Smith had the upper hand. I think everyone knows no one wants to play for the ‘Phins no matter what the price is.

March 19th, 2012 10:06 am

That will work untilSmith tries to go somewhere else. Leverage means you have other options. I think the Niners have more options than Smith and I like Smith. He better take what is on the table. The Niners may sweeten it a bit so he can save some face, but Smith was the one who didn’t sign what they offererd him two weeks ago.

March 19th, 2012 10:10 am

3. RednGold1

I disagree. Smith needs the continuity and familiarity he would get with the Niners. The Niners, in my opinion, want Smith back, but would not be overly hurt if he left.

March 19th, 2012 10:19 am

exactly Dennis. The Niners don’t have to do much here, just open the door to Alex again and he’ll walk through for sure. He’s probably already there pen in hand. The Dolphins offer reportedly was in the same ballpark as what the Niners offered. Seattle signed Matt Flynn for crying out loud….BEFORE even talking to Alex. His true worth has been established. Give him free ice cream or something to make him feel better, and all will be well.

What a wretched start to my week. There is no end to the curse of Alex. He’ll always be our QB the way Jack Nicholson will always be the caretaker in the Shining.

March 19th, 2012 10:19 am

5. Mugsy

Lowell, I think you misunderstand Harbaugh. He probably thinks he can win with Scott Tolzien. I don’t think Smith is any more in charge of these negotiations than he was a week ago, before the 49ers’ Manning pursuit became public. If he refuses to concede to their demands, it could be time for the Niners to pop open a KAP !!

March 19th, 2012 10:20 am

6. Jack Orion

Alex should counter with his rookie contract; just change the dates and send it to Jed.

March 19th, 2012 10:32 am

Your way off on this one Lowell, Smith has no where else to go.

March 19th, 2012 10:36 am

I don’t think the Niners need Smith at all. Really I don’t. It’s time to re-load and re-think. They don’t beleive he can take them to the Super Bowl. He was elevated to a high status by being propped up in Harbaugh’s system. Give me a break, go fishing for someone else and let’s move on …

March 19th, 2012 11:40 am

9. Brodie2Washington

Remember this time last year. Baakle was sriting off Smith, Harbaugh was praising Smith. The two were never of like mind re Alex Smith.

Maybe Alex can out the screws to the front office and still have a good relationship with Harbuagh.

March 19th, 2012 11:45 am

10. wolff1

They need Smith, like we need you Lowell. That much :)

March 19th, 2012 2:54 pm

The problem is not so much the length of the contract–of course, he does want a longer contract–but the amount of GUARANTEED MONEY they’re offering.
    In my opion, they were probably low-balling him anyway so look for them to up th offer just a bit and things will go back to normal.
    I’m agreeing with Lowell on this one–he’s the best option out there right now.
    I mean c’mon now…he took us to the NFC Championship game with no off-season and an abbreviated training camp.
    Does anyone really think he’s going to be WORSE than last year???
    Many fans have trouble putting their feelings aside and just judging results.
    A three- year deal is perfect but give him $28 mil/ $12 mil guaranteed.
    -ALOHA-

March 19th, 2012 3:48 pm

12. player21

Miami just signed David Garrard. Alex has no place left to sign. I hope we sign Josh Johnson. Who holds all the leverage now
    , the 49ers. Haa ha.