The Santa Rosa Press Democrat just posted my Tuesday column about Alex Smith and the 49ers’ quarterback vacancy. I post this with some trepidation as things are changing rapidly and I don’t want this thing to be out of date. But that’s daily journalism. I argue that Jim Harbaugh blew it with Peyton Manning and, if he’s not careful, he’ll also blow it with Smith, whom the 49ers now need. You may agree or disagree. To read my column, please click here.

Comments

1. wolff1

Smith has all the leverage? Atrocious column!

March 19th, 2012 8:18 pm

2. Exeter Guy

Harbaugh must woo Smith, but Smith must see that the wooing is an illusion. Any affection in football is overridden by the need to win and survive. This situation brings to mind Van Morrison’s song “Glad Tidings.”

March 19th, 2012 9:05 pm

In defense of Harbaugh..he is a football coach( not a shrink) and he took the doormat Niners to 13-3. He and his coacheds paid attention to details and inspired the players to play hard.
    I think Manning as you pointed out in a previous blog is a complete Knuckehead for not coming to play for San Francisco in quest of a Super Bowl next year. Time is running out for this Knucklehead. He surely did recognize that Harbaugh and he might clash. But here is where I disagree. Harbaugh and Manning would come to an understanding. They would work together to win. Once Manning knew the system Harbaugh could relax a little knowing the offense was in good hands. Would he have to act like an hysterical Signmund Freud on the sidelines before the game pounding Manning’s shoulder pads to pump him up?. NO- he would not because Manning would know what to do and have the innate confidence to do it.

March 19th, 2012 9:05 pm

4. Kay

I am glad the tables seem to be turning on Harbaugh and the Niners. They’re all so cocky and, like you said, cold. I’d be really entertained if Alex Smith just blows them off, and gets cold right back at them, by signing elsewhere. The Niners go from having a possible abundance at QB to nothing. I think Harbaugh deserves to get burned once in a while if he plays this flattery-is-everything game; it’s only fair.

March 19th, 2012 10:26 pm

5. Frippertopia

I have to disagree with you on this one Lowell. Your reasoning is based on way too much conjecture, particularly on the psych dimensions.
    I’d settle for 9-7 next year if it meant that Kap or Tolzien got the experience to put us solidly in the hunt for 2013 and beyond.
    Smith is mediocre at best and we made almost it to the SB primarily because of D and Special Teams, and of course great coaching.

March 19th, 2012 11:21 pm

6. C. Nova

Jim Harbaugh just can’t win with you can he? First, you called him a wimp for NOT going afer PM. In that piece you suggested his ego couldn’t handle dealing with a strong person and superstar like PM. Then it turned out the 49ers were looking into PM. Suddenly you love the coldhearted Harbaugh. But now that PM wimped out and picked Denver rather than try to win a Super Bowl in SF, you are back to your Harbaugh bashing. The black and white, life or death world you live in seems so childish…

March 20th, 2012 1:46 am

7. Streetglide

Whoa dude, seems that Baalke is the guy who hires and fires, not Harbaugh. And you would be nuts to not chase one of the all-time great QBs. Alex was a free agent. They weren’t even “going steady.”
    No sympathy here…

March 20th, 2012 4:54 am

8. Matt H.

I love the fact that you actually referred to Smith’s “copious amount of work” as if it was somehow a positive in support of him. Did one year really blind you to the overall quality of that work?

March 20th, 2012 5:26 am

9. JB

Absurd. PM choosing Denver is a reflection upon him, not Harbaugh. If Smith chooses not to return, it reflects upon him and not Harbaugh. Conveniently, we seem to gloss over the fact that a fair offer was on the table which went unsigned…that is on Smith, not Harbaugh.

When something works against SF (very rarely as of late) you use it as fuel for a hit piece against Harbaugh. The reality, however, is that when Smith comes back into the fold it will be Harbaugh and his ego that you have to thank.

March 20th, 2012 6:38 am

The world is back on the right track again because I completely disagree with you. I disagree so much that I am not going to bother reading the column. Your premise is wrong. Harbaugh didn’t blow anything. He tried and it didn’t work out. From all I read Manning’s decision had nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh. Manning simply liked the situation in Denver better. That is not Harbaugh’s fault. Now, if you are suggesting that Harbaugh blew it by simply trying at all, well, isn’t that what you told him he needed to do?

March 20th, 2012 7:00 am

11. Rob

With columns like this one, is it any wonder Baalke and Harbaugh shun Cohn whenever and whereever possible.

March 20th, 2012 7:28 am

12. Mike

Lowell, you base your editorial on an assumption on which you have no evidence to back up, i.e., that Manning chose Denver because Harbaugh wouldn’t give him enough autonomy. In reality, there is every evidence that Harbaugh would give him autonomy. Smith had the right to change calls based on what he saw, and so did Luck. Quite a flight of fantasy on your part.

March 20th, 2012 7:40 am

13. James

Cohn, I usually agree with you on most of your articles but will you make up your mind on Harbaugh please. Is he the cold-blooded winner like Bill Walsh was or is he the failure you’re claiming him to be now? Manning did not choose S.F.. Niners had the guts to go after hime. I applaud York/Baalke/Harbaugh. They are winners and want to win now.

March 20th, 2012 8:04 am

I did post that Manning may simply have not liked Harbaugh or his message.
    I think Jim is one of those people that a Manning- a mature man- can sense either he likes him or not from within a handshake’s distance..that aura.

March 20th, 2012 11:10 am

Streetglide wrote:
    ‘Whoa dude, seems that Baalke is the guy who hires and fires, not Harbaugh.’
    EXACTAMUNDO!
    -ALOHA-

March 20th, 2012 12:26 pm

16. Crusty

Come on Cohn man!
    Its way simpler then that… even for you… Niners are too cheap and since they came close to getting to the big dance with the date they brang why dump Alex for a pain in the neck. Manning is a question only as to fitness, that is too big question for 20 mil. If it were up to me I double down and go with what will prove to be the best player of all time when Denver wins the whole enchilada next season!

March 20th, 2012 9:22 pm

17. Mackdown

Blow it with Smith?? Ummm, in case you haven’t noticed NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN SIGNING SMITH. The 49ers are the only team stupid enough to bring him back.

March 20th, 2012 11:52 pm