I wrote my Tuesday column about Brian Wilson. Considering I wrote my Monday column about Wilson, that’s a lot of Wilson. In the second column I examine some hard contract issues. Like should the Giants offer Wilson arbitration after this season? I say no. I point out what a risk he represents for them going forward. This is nothing against Wilson. I merely am talking baseball realities and looking at baseball as a business. If the Giants decide Wilson can pitch for them in 2013, they must come up with a creative contract that protects them — perhaps lowered guaranteed money with incentives.

One note: At the end of my Monday column, I wrote that Wilson is starting a slow fade. Several readers took issue with the image, so let me explain. I did not mean Wilson will fade forever from the team, although he may. His surgery is serious. I meant hurt players tend to become invisible around a team while they rehab because the team moves on. Many hurt players have told me about feeling invisible. That’s what I was writing about. I could have done it better. My bad. To read my Tuesday column, click here.

Comments

1. Richard

I can see no reason why the Giants should offer arbitration.

April 16th, 2012 5:26 pm

Your comments make perfect sense Lowell, but you are missing a big factor. The factor is Brian Sabean, this guy does one bad contract after another. The latest one is Huff and Rowand. I can named another 6 without even looking it up, so all logic is off.

April 16th, 2012 5:35 pm

3. mike

Lowell, as a baseball guy here in The City back to the days of the DiMaggios and the Seals, I worry about the health of a pitcher with limited innings today compared to the innings of guys like Marichal, Drysdale, Spahn, Burdette, Gibson, Perry, etc. Back then, these guys racked up over 245-275 innings and went 8 or 9 frames like a walk in the park and took the ball 4 days later and repeated the process. Today, these guys cannot make it through a 110 pitch count into the 5th inning. I worry about the mechanics of a lot of these guys today, and as a physics and mechanics guy, I see a lot of issues with how today’s guys throw. Lincicum is a guy waiting to blow up because he really exerts himself and over throws with extended levers, etc. Today’s pitchers may have a greater assortment of sinkers and cutter and back door sliders; however, their mechanics and the physiology of exercise don’t bode well for a long career. Look at Woods and Prior of the Cubs and the phenom with the Nats – Strasburg. Too much junk and too many innings and throwing too early in their formative years and the stress on the elbow is unforgiving.

April 16th, 2012 5:47 pm

This is where Neukom’s expertise would have come in. Although,if part of that expertise was signing off on paying Krukow and Kuiper an obscene one million dollars apiece to sit in a booth and tell us what was see,then I see why he was fired.
    I think Wilson would agree to a reduced contract…but not the 50% KNBR “brains” said he should take. He might ask for a trade/walk away if asked of that.

April 16th, 2012 5:59 pm

And Krukow’s homerism is just getting out of hand. The excuses get worse by the week. That Pablo error? Krukow swore it was one of them giant worms from “Tremors” that caused it.

April 16th, 2012 6:01 pm

6. Will

Get rid of him. Injury issues always linger. Cut him while you can. Trade him if you can. Don’t know what that situation is.

April 16th, 2012 6:14 pm

My goodness this is a tough room!

You sit him down and figure out some way to keep him on the major league roster…nobody else will want him.

Then next April you see what you’ve got and go from there.
    You don’t just flush a guy like this…he may or may not be able to help in the future but you take steps to make sure he’s here when it becomes clear one way or the other.

April 16th, 2012 8:34 pm

If I understand you correctly he still earns 8.5 million this year. That is a nice parting gift. I think his elbow is toast. He blew it out in college and now again. It is hard to believe that some pitchers have had Tommy John surgery three times. I like Wilson a lot but we have to look no further than Zito to understand how you cannot afford to take foolish chances on a player with so money involved. So don’t offer him arbitration.

April 17th, 2012 3:07 am

9. Johnny Christo

I don’t like Brian Wilson, the ballplayer.
    I like the guy, I know him through a friend and he is genuine and nice and smart and interesting.
    But I don’t like him as a ballplayer for my team. He is all drama, all the time. Not in the way that TO was drama, not in the way that Monta Ellis was drama, no, Brian Wilson is a drama internalizer. He takes the magnitude of the moment, shows a stoic shell, but goes all manic inside. I don’t like this. I don’t want my 9th inning pitcher to need to feel drama in his gizzard before he can slam the door closed. There is no reason a 4-1 ballgame needs to get to a bases-loaded nail-biter, but with Wilson, it did, all the time. I don’t like that.
    Let him get right, let him throw for a month or so to show that his velocity and movement are back, and then ship him out.

April 17th, 2012 8:56 am

…aaaaand fading back in again.
    Thanks Lowell.
    I feel better now.
    As for Wilson, I totally agree with you, especially the part about his inability to be truthful with Bochy.
    Healthy or not, they’re not going to shell out that kind of dough to a guy they can’t trust.
    Too much risk here…