It was supposed to be a great pitchers’ duel Monday night — Tim Lincecum vs. Roy Halladay — ¬†except Lincecum didn’t keep up his part of ¬†the duel. He was awful in the first inning and that pretty much was that. Let me add he’s pretty much been awful this season. And that leads me to a question:

Are you worried about Lincecum?

I don’t mean in the short term. I mean, are you worried he’s turned into a bad pitcher in the long term and never will regain his elite status? Are you worried he’s the second coming of Barry Zito, or worse, that he and Zito have changed pitching personalities.

For what it’s worth, I am not worried — not that I would worry about a thing like this. I doubted Lincecum two years ago and he made me look foolish the way he pitched in the World Series. I say he’s not hurt. He hasn’t lost his stuff. He has lots of moving parts in his delivery and he’s working out his mechanics. And soon he’ll be fine.

I could be wrong. What do you think?

Comments

1. Dave T

I woud tend to agree, he has a lot of moving parts. Though the comment that the slider bothers his arm a lot does concern me. I am also not completely impressed with the defense behind him right now. Too many errors and non plays being made by the defense. Great example last night was the double by the second batter of the game. While a tough play, it was a play that either Pagan or Cabrera has to make. If Schierholtz is in the game I think he makes that play easily. And we all know that 2 out with nobody on base is way different than 1 out and a man at second. The inning did a complete 180 on Tim and that to me was the difference in the game. Now, Tim should be able to get out of that kind of situation and in the past has, relatively unscathed, as his counterpart Halladay did in the bottom of the 1st. But until Tim shows that particular ability again, the defense needs to play better behind him, and make the plays they should make.

April 17th, 2012 9:50 am

2. gary

The first inning fiasco was lit by Pagan
    not catching a soft fly ball for out #2.
    Normal Tim gets out of the that, but not this time. And, of course, the usual Giant’s lack
    of a clutch hit, to get them back in the game
    in the bottom of the first inning, and that was pretty much the game.
    Tim looked ok, with another Giants team loss—defense, offense, pitching, all coming up short.

April 17th, 2012 10:51 am

3. Johnny Christo

Again, Lowell, it comes down to drama. Lincecum is a stoner. He may also be Elasticman, or Superman, or whomever else, but at his core, he just looooooves the bong, can’t get enough of it. Creates unneeded drama for the fanbase.

The fact that he has come into this season in such bad form (following signing a huge 1-year deal or whatever it was) with full knowledge that in 2010 he was horrific for a while (not in game shape, mechanics off, etc…) means that the burden is on Tim to do what he needs to do in the off-season to come in on opening day and throw a 1-hitter.

Matt Cain and MadBum are built to throw for 20 years, irrespective of potential hiccups in mechanics. Lincecum, on the other hand, is a tensile whip whose success depends on perfect preparation. Hitting the bong hurts him, and he really has no excuse, 1. after the big contract, 2. with full knowledge of what happened in 2010, to come in and stink it up so badly this year.

Time to cut the chord.

April 17th, 2012 10:54 am

4. Jerod Brown

I’m not necessarily worried because he didn’t look too bad after the first inning. He wasn’t dominant but he seemed to begin righting the ship. I think it will take another two starts before he really gets in a groove. He needs to get out of the first quickly in his next start then settle in. When he is confident and feeling good then innings fly by quickly. Kinda nice having Zito to pick up the slack right now.

April 17th, 2012 10:59 am

The guy has issues- I’ve told you that for years…his extreme yo-yo dieting for one,and his “dehydration” to the point he missed an all star appearance…just malo signs. That he didn’t want a Cain-Bum long term contract to stay in SF..like he wants a change,or to be away from somebody or something. And you know,every game where he’s getting rocked..Lincecum never looks angry. He gets that look of surprise..disappointing even.
    Today’s athletes..seem so sensitive. Is it the huge money? messes with their head until you have Zitoitis?.
    I think Lincecum needs to do a Alex Smith.. a reality check. Work between starts at a shelter feeding people or see a therapist (and he probably does now,but if he isnt..).he needs more then baseball and weed in his life.

April 17th, 2012 11:02 am

6. Capts

A loss in velocity while you’re still young is certainly a bad sign. It’ll probably come down to adjusting his pitching style to suit his new ability level.

April 17th, 2012 11:53 am

7. mike

Sorry, but in my humble opinion Lincecum’s off-the-field habits and lifestyle are not conducive to a career embodied with success, and by career, I am indicating a time line of more than just 3 or 4 years.

His dietary habits are notoriously bad, too, and that is another complication that eventually may contribute to an eroding pitching career.

Hard to develop any musculature when your diet consists of Whoppers and Weed.

Also, he does use a “total body” delivery with significantly extended levers and overstriding, and with all of those mobing parts, there is greater margin for injury as well as location issues.

I remember watching for years Tom Seaver’s delivery as well as Steve Carlton’s and Nolan Ryan’s and seeing how functionally sound they were.

Lincecum’s delivery defies and stresses all of the laws of physics and eventually has to go south.

I wish him well and only hope that he remedies some of the deamons haunting him so he can be successful in the long term.

April 17th, 2012 12:12 pm

He may subsist on “Whoppers and Weed”, good line BTW…but he’s won two CY Young Awards AND a World Series…
    It seems he listens only to Dad and that’s probably getting tenuous by this time…he can either grow up or in two years he can go back to Seattle and open a medicianal marijuana store…

April 17th, 2012 12:52 pm

9. Gopal

I think he’ll be ok.

April 17th, 2012 1:07 pm

Strange that we’re talking about arguably one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.
    My thing is…how many elite pitchers slump this bad at the beginning of the season?
    As for the Zito comparison…there isn’t one.
    Timmy doesn’t sign long-term deals.
    I think he gets it sorted out fairly soon though.
    I’m more worried the lack of defense and run production…
    -ALOHA-

April 17th, 2012 1:39 pm

Another red flag about Lincecum that I had forgotten..that same man who doesn’t show anger on the mound went back to his rented condo and trashed and thrashed it like a 10 year old spoiled kid all last season.
    Just classic signs of a troubled mind…not bad,or a bad person at all, just troubled.

April 17th, 2012 1:46 pm

12. Larry Rowe

My co-worker believes that players are getting used to his pitch’s. Perhaps he need to cahnge the speed on his pitching. Would not hurt if he gained 10 pounds so he could have more power.

I believe that the scouting was right on and they new what he was pitch before Posey did. Krukow said, It appeared that the pichers seen everything that was coming off of Tim.

Cohn, I am not woried either. Every time an Players get that big contract, it always seems to affect them, the following year….

God Bless

April 17th, 2012 1:54 pm

13. Will

He’s done. Trade him. It would be a very unpopular move, but the right one. You can get a very pretty penny for him.

April 17th, 2012 3:41 pm

On THEGAME Lowell, Brandon Teirney came very close to sounding like me. He noted that strange expression that Lincecum had,and that its more than a loss of confidence that Davis-always taking the athletes side- had insisted. And he added sort of cryptically that “I’m not a doctor,but there’s something there”..he didnt clarify if he meant physical or mental health DR.
    The media is finally getting it.

And doesn’t it figure that a former New Yorker would think like me?..a pattern…

April 17th, 2012 4:30 pm

15. mike

Look at the history of long-term contracts in MLB, and you will notice that pitchers are the more likely to flame out after a long term contract than position players.

April 17th, 2012 5:31 pm

I hope Lincecum’s arm is ok. I hope the problem is just about mechanics and not burnout from all the wear and tear the Freak arm has endured so far in his career.

April 17th, 2012 11:15 pm

17. Bray

Not worried at all, if he’s still like this in late June, then there’s a problem. It’s mechanical, which expalins his expressions on the mound, he feels fine, he is having a hard time finding his correct release because of his circus windup. If Pagan catches that ball, he only gives up 1 in the first and maybe nothing and we’re all saying He’s back!!!

As for the Whoppers and Weed diet, if that was the case, there’s 500 MLB pitchers’s who would love to try that one out. 2 Cy’s a WS ring and a multi million $$$ contract later.

Way too much ‘over cookin’ {Jim Harbaugh 2011} going on here, but that what sports journalism is for the most part.

April 18th, 2012 8:04 am

Funny..but now that a few days have past..the talking heads are all “He’ll be alright,just a glitch”..”Nothing to see,move on”…The Giants have so much power over the local media..they actually play DOWN dramas ,rather then play up to them for readers. That’s power.

April 18th, 2012 10:21 am

..and listeners and watchers.

April 18th, 2012 10:22 am

20. Lo Sbandato

Who can predict the future? What’s for certain is this: whatever he’s doing in the off season, it’s not working. He needs a new approach.

Imagine what a field day all the junior pop psychologists on the internet would have with your behavior, Stan.

April 18th, 2012 11:03 am

21. Tommy CostaRica

It’s like being a musician, no matter how great you are you’re only as good as your last performance, and that is a lot of pressure on your psyche to not fail. The weed can really amplify the whole psyche pressure. So my advice to Timmy is no smoke at all before game time. Do what the musicians do have a shot of tequila before down beat and then hold off on the smoke until break time once you’re all settled into a good groove.

April 19th, 2012 7:51 am

The big difference Lo is..nobody would care about me. I loved my Ma to I got back stabbed by a co worker. Eh. Now write about Lincecum to Huff or Russell…
    One other big diff..I don’t cost you money. When those players take your ticket,parking and eating and drinken money then follow that with too out of shape to catch or hit..you WANT to know WHY.
    Right?

April 19th, 2012 2:43 pm

And of course Lo, IF your hinting at internet stalking or worse like that guy who called himself Crabby on the Splash(SF Gate) did as he himself claimed?… I just want to remind that’s a federal offense and says more about the criminal then it does about the stalked.

April 19th, 2012 3:05 pm

And Lo..yes,I KNOW..well pretty sure KNBR hired somebody to investigate me a couple of years ago. Others heard Ralph say as much on air-including me.
    Just how ironic that Ralph had said I wrote “scurrilous things” about KNBR back then.when he now is suing KNBR for the very same type of behavior I had said all along about KNBR!..and you ALL know that!

April 19th, 2012 3:25 pm

25. stan

I was nearly floored when I read last night Lincecum quotes. He my friends last I read had dieted down to 177,well, he says he is now down to the mid 160′s. When he pitched well in 2010 and last year? 180-197.
    So why is he losing weight again? “I felt bulky”. THAT sounds dead on like a anorexic..who never feel thin enough,and hate the idea of fat,even imaginary fat. Even losing won’t change his mind. Or,at least for long.
    I was right in 2010 that his weight is his problem. What caused all this?,the base cause in his life?..I can only guess.

April 20th, 2012 9:10 am

26. stan

I should have added..I know I read in very late spring training a quote where Lincecum said he had dropped to 177 ..from a off season of 197.
    So ,just since the season opener or about’s,he lost ANOTHER 13-14 pounds?. That’s a lot of weight so soon..no wonder he has no fastball-he’s weak!
    I get that self destructive vibe from Tim. He knows already that at lighter weights he’s been ineffective. Yet,he’s doing it again.

April 20th, 2012 9:54 am

27. stan

How wild-the Giants best hitter cant keep a pound off,and what has been their best pitcher cant gain a pound.

April 20th, 2012 9:58 am

I’m reading another interview where they document Lincecums weight loss Lowell, and yet don’t tie it in to his struggles. It instead went with the old ” He might be lifting his elbow to 18degrees on his fastball ,instead of 16.6 degree oblique”…soon Lowell,long toss will return.
    30 pounds since winter and 14 pounds since the start of the season. Says it all.

April 21st, 2012 10:53 am