Rich Lieberman, who writes 415 media, just sent me over an interesting entry about the Giants and Ralph Barbieri. Lieberman writes that the relationship between the team and Barbieri was sometimes contentious — we know Barbieri sometimes got under Brian Sabean’s skin on radio. Lieberman relates an incident that took place in the parking lot. Lieberman has good sources, but I never have investigated the parking-lot incident and can’t vouch for it myself. Lieberman’s post is interesting and to read it, please click here.

Comments

“Do you know who I am?”.

That certainly sounds different than “Angels fly because they take themselves lightly”.

April 18th, 2012 6:16 pm

2. B-Rad

The responses to these 5 CohnZohn articles on Barbieri indicate that
    about 40% of the CohnZohners couldn’t stand him, 40% liked or loved
    him, and 20% couldn’t care less about whether he’s around or not.
    Can’t we get someone in his place to ask the tough questions the
    fans want answered, as Ralph asked, yet is more palatable to more listeners?

April 18th, 2012 6:45 pm

I’m sure Ralph could care less about what the Giants brass think of him……..because thats Ralph……he spoke his mind and didn’t care what people thought about it. The incident where Ralph and Sabean came to radio airwave blows was over Sabeans aquisiton of closer Benitez, who was pretty awful. Ralph got on Sabeans case for several weeks in a row and finally Sabean had enough and started to talk back to Ralph. That was some classic talk radio. Those days are long gone with Cumulus running the boring generic show these days.

April 18th, 2012 6:53 pm

4. Cara

That story has been going around for years. Nothing like old gossip from yenta Lieberman.
    Barbieri would have been canned years ago if it bothered the Giants that much. The Giants have a lot of say-so when comes to KNBR, getting DBruce replaced as post game host and getting Krueger fired after the racist comments towards Alou and the Latin ball players.

April 18th, 2012 6:54 pm

Cara, In general, yenta is a great word. I wish I heard it more.

April 18th, 2012 6:56 pm

6. stan

Considering I heard Ralph last summer talk about his “sworn allegiance to the Giants”..and that IS a quote..I don’t see the Giants having much of a grudge. And they even included him on the victory float in 2010.
    Look,Cumulus and the Dickeys have purged Libs,Dems, people of color,those with disabilities and seniority. Whats left is right..wing. And as cheap as Cumulus can squeeze…for now.
    I guess as not much of a Ralph fan I can say that..if HE isn’t company man enough..what does that say about who stays?

April 18th, 2012 7:50 pm

7. Gopal

What exactly was his role in getting the ballpark built?

April 19th, 2012 8:02 am

unfortunate story about the parking attendant. But the fact that he got under people’s skin due to his unwillingness to accept the basic PR line that these franchises all want us to swallow is exactly what I loved about Ralph. He wasn’t content to just spew back what our local GMs wanted us to hear and believe. He dug and dug and dug, and sometimes it wasn’t very pretty. But he always served us, the listener first and foremost in my view and this is precisely his great value. This mentality is all too rare in our local media. The more I reflect on his firing, the more I regret it. Big loss, even if he was losing much steam towards the end.

It’s forced me to re-evaluate Lowell’s rant against Harbaugh and Co. You can’t get anything out of them and this leads to far too few uncomfortable questions and a lot of useless BS. Baalke is a joke in a press conference. Harbaugh isn’t much better. Ultimately, the truth it not served and therefore, neither are we. Would love to see the Razor in his prime take on these two. Hopefully, Lowell and others will channel some of Barbieri’s bulldog mentality in this season’s press conferences.

April 19th, 2012 9:17 am

9. Gooselosgatos

From what I understand, Ralph mellowed a lot since the birth of his son.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the alleged incident occurred, but I have heard many accounts of very positive exchanges between Ralph and the public.

As for the Byrnes/Tolbert partnership, both of them are too similar in style and temperament to be ‘an effective partnership’ as they mute each other out. Part of what made Tom so likable and interesting is that his personality and good qualities were amplified next to the sometimes salty and idiosyncratic Ralph.

I don’t always agree with Lowell but its inappropriate to make ethnic comments.

April 19th, 2012 10:45 am

I have heard that story for a few years, if Rich thinks it was true, I will go with it, anyway I did enjoy Ralph interviewing Sabean, that was good radio, it is the rest of Ralph that was pretty horrific, the Brent Jones interviewing was horrible, especially when he starts talking about Brent Jones college daughter talking about her soccer career, it was the worst 5 minutes in the history of Radio over and over again, he got really soft and way to chummy with the guests and next to Tolbert sports knowledge he sounded like a intern. The Amici’s pizza spots were horrendous, I changed the radio dial quickly when he started those marathon infomercials.

April 19th, 2012 10:49 am

One of the many reasons why I wish BOTH sides would lose this lawsuit.
    Unfortunately, one side will win.
    They all suck if you ask me…
    -ALOHA-