For my Sunday column, I wrote a column that goes into our 49ers pre-draft coverage. Phil Barber the Brilliant wrote the general overall story and I put in my two cents advocating the 49ers draft tight end Coby Fleener with their first pick, No. 30. I gave my reasons and warned them off drafting a guard in the first round although they probably need a right guard. To read the total extent of my advice to Trent Baalke and his guys, please click here.

Comments

1. Rick Eymer

Coby Fleener is just the type of athlete Jim Harbaugh loves, which is why he recruited him to Stanford.

April 21st, 2012 7:55 pm

2. B-Rad

Let’s hope this isn’t a repeat of the 2008 draft when we picked 29th. We
    badly needed an offensive lineman. There were 8 good ones projected
    for round one. McCloughan didn’t move up and they were all gone by
    #29. We picked a guy who, if names mean anything, should have worked
    in a mortuary in Jamaica or someplace – Kentwan Balmer – he probably
    would have been great preparing corpses, but he couldn’t play effectively
    in the NFL.
    With the 8th pick in the 2nd round we got OL Chilo Rachel. He came out early
    because his Mom needed surgery but never seemed to develop. He’s gone too.
    I don’t want to move up at all, but hope offensive lineman Cordy Glenn is
    there at 30.
    ……….
    We were 29th in passing offense in the league last year. Our tight ends,
    Davis and Walker, caught exactly half of the TD passes. TE is our strength,
    WR our greatest weakness. Randy Moss = subtraction by addition.
    If they do take Fleener though, I would be excited to see innovations in
    3 tight end sets, and it should certainly help the red-zone efficiency.

April 21st, 2012 8:11 pm

I like your reasoning , Lowell. The only question is whether Fleener will be available at the thirty spot.
    The forty niners need to step it up on offense because it stands to reason that last year’s defense will be hard to repeat. The Niners are like the SF Giants..they are both builit around defense and both teams have to improve on offense if they want to be world champions. The SF Giants finished dead last on offense in baseball last year and the Niners finished next to last as you pointed out in Football.

April 21st, 2012 9:08 pm

4. RC

Pretty thin at line? Could use a guard or a backup tackle, I like hill if he’s there more than I like Fleener.

But watch they will draft someone unexpected.

April 21st, 2012 9:24 pm

5. Bob In Beaverton

I’d go with Fleener.

April 22nd, 2012 7:50 am

You stated, “The Niners don’t really have many needs — that’s how good they are.” Then you proceed to say how weak they are at wide receiver, how they could use a right guard and perhaps another pass catching tightend because Walker has cast iron hands and Smith takes way too long tho throw the ball. Sounds to me like a team with a lot of needs that clearly is not that good on the offensive side of the ball. I also think they need a running back. Anyway, it seems that with all their needs they will make a pick that will surprise us all. Like someone who plays one position and the Niners pick him to play another – like last year.

April 22nd, 2012 8:24 am

Lowell I love your humor,” I almost demand it” the Niners would need to move up before Cleveland takes Fleener at 22, can do that I think they can, they will probably only keep a few draft picks anyway. I still think they will go with defense because they won’t have a choice if Fleener goes earlier.

April 22nd, 2012 8:42 am

8. Dan

Don’t know if you saw this, but the criticism comes from an anonymous scout: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/scout-says-fleener-might-be-the-most-overrated-guy-in-the-draft/

This is from the same Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reporter who quoted an anonymous scout who criticized RGIII and another source that poo-poohed Matt Kalil.

I wonder if it’s the same scout in all three instances, and I wonder if there’s any gamesmanship there, hoping that these players might fall so his team can draft them.

April 22nd, 2012 2:19 pm

9. Estaban Lipson

You miss the main point because of anti Harbaugh BS, If He wants Fleener and Balke signs off, case closed, nothing else to say

April 22nd, 2012 3:31 pm

I know you’re not the only one touting Fleener for the Niners in this draft but it still makes zero sense to me. In order to bump up offensive production, I see the field needing to be stretched. We need a big flanker to do that by making plays downfield, not another over the middle guy. Moss could very well be a complete zero this year given his age, declining production, and recent history of smart people giving up on him. You have to have another option at this vital spot

Walker had a broken jaw and other injuries which you strangely omit from your column. He’s a decent TE. Why would we draft a third one, and in the first round no less? I like Fleener, but it’s clearly a luxury pick when we have so many other needs.

You speak accurately of Alex’s shortcomings, but the sacks are by design since Harbaugh is so terrified of the turnover with him….rightfully so. I fully expect more of the same so I’m with you on the O lineman front. But we desperately need more depth there as well. I’m sure we’ll be picking this position early and often, though perhaps not in the 1st round.

But I’m taking a big speed wide receiver first in this draft. That’ll loosen things up for Vernon better than anything else. It stretches the defense much better than another TE working in the same region would. No way Coby Fleener.

April 23rd, 2012 9:32 am