It is sad that Aubrey Huff has anxiety and has to go on the 15-day DL and is unable to play baseball — which is his job. I feel great compassion for anyone dealing with anxiety.

I have more to say on Huff, however, and I will try to be as sensitive to him as possible.

When he left the team unexpectedly, he allegedly texted Bruce Bochy saying he had a family emergency. Now that the Giants are telling us Huff has anxiety, the family-emergency explanation does not seem to be the entire truth.

Are the Giants withholding important facts about Huff?

What form has Huff’s anxiety taken? Just what does anxiety mean in his case? And where did he go when he felt anxious?

When he gets over this attack of anxiety will he be well, at least well enough to play baseball?

Can the Giants depend on him to show up consistently the rest of the season or is this the beginning of the end of his career?

Did the anxiety come on because he perhaps felt humiliated after the way he played second base the other day?

I guess I’m saying the anxiety explanation doesn’t answer a lot of questions. It creates questions.

To read Andy Baggarly’s article about Huff from CSNBayArea, please click here.

Comments

1. RednGold1

To have Anxiety is like a person is in the Hotel California. You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave. Aubry has checked out. But he is not leaving. Makes all those around him anxious. Even me. Even you.

April 25th, 2012 3:20 pm

I read that about 30 minutes ago, going to pull a Stan but he is a well known beer drinker party boy wearing those stupid thong underwear, he probably has a substance abuse problem that he uses to calm down his anxiety. Another great signing from Sabean.

April 25th, 2012 3:24 pm

Well Lowell…that not covering second base thing.. a perfect example of anxiety and disassociation. He couldn’t move..and when he did, was in his own world at 1 base playing second..if you follow me.
    I think the whole trip from the star of the victory parade to Huff’s own faults of over indulging while thinking he was now for sure a batting god..then the fall over the last two seasons has been a heavy weight that more money can’t cure.
    I don’t see Huff as elitist like Zito,who I think would eat a roadkill dead skunk if the Giants asked to keep his contract going.
    I think Huff must feel (even if he doesn’t know it) like he made a Faustian pact.. a glorious year in 2010 and now the payback is reading he’s deadwood,holding the team back,hurting the career of others even.
    And the second base fiasco was the final straw that broke the huffcamel’s back.

April 25th, 2012 3:40 pm

And speaking of pulling a Stan.,How about if I pull a myself-so to speak- and say I saw this coming. From my COHNZONE post early last year of Huff I thought,having too much fun with beer, to my post the other day here on CZ,that Huff’s head was in the clouds.
    And I hate to tell you what,If Lincecum keeps losing weight..its never been a good thing.

April 25th, 2012 4:02 pm

5. Seth

What if the anxiety is caused by family problems? That’s not entirely out of the question.

April 25th, 2012 4:47 pm

6. Seth

If he is suffering from a serious anxiety disorder then one bad day at second base wouldn’t be the cause. That’s like saying eating one greasy hamburger will give you heart disease.

April 25th, 2012 4:49 pm

7. mike

An issue with many professional athletes is how to handle success as much as how to handle failure, and, obviously, Huff is one who is suffering because expectations not only from himself but also from society and the fan base are larger than what he can meet. Giants, as well as other pro teams in many other sports, really can use a sports therapist for the players because so many have numerous issues that they cannot resolve themselves, and, as a result, often lead to torture and abysmal failure when it could have been prevented with some proactive measures. Hopefully, the Giants, or MLB, has a program for Huff.

April 25th, 2012 4:57 pm

The guy’s got problems…be they substance, emotional or otherwise…

Lucky him…he gets to deal with these issues now that they’re spread all over the sports information universe…

Leave him alone…let him get his stuff together…

and yes Lowell…I’m sure the Giants have been withholding important facts…Im stunned they went public…they needed his permission to do so…give the guy a break…

April 25th, 2012 5:01 pm

If you have clogged artery’s Seth,maybe just one jumbo greasy meal might be the the one to block the last pinhole opening in the artery..life and death decider.
    Huff’s most embarrassing game on top of .180 and a divorce,more then he could handle at once. Money and talent and being a vet means nothing here…its emotions. He has them.

April 25th, 2012 6:14 pm

And..next to money problems,alcoholism breaks up the most marriages. It also is the largest killer vice in the country..more then Tobacco and drugs combined I think it was.

April 25th, 2012 6:24 pm

11. Frank in Minnesota

kind of hard to be hurting like he is in the public eye. I think that should be considered by some here….

April 25th, 2012 6:28 pm

12. Seth

Let me clarify, a perfectly healthy person with no clogged arteries will not get heart disease by eating one greasy burger. It builds up over time due to a poor diet and genetics. The same goes for anxiety, it doesn’t just happen in one day, it builds over time. I’m not disagreeing with you Stan, that one bad day at second base could have been the day that set him over the edge, but we just don’t know all the details that sent him to the edge.

My only point is that if this is a serious anxiety disorder then he has some major problems and I wish him well.

April 25th, 2012 6:32 pm

13. MoragaJohn

Lowell, is it your thought that Huff ought not have the right as a highly paid athlete to have anxiety from a life altering divorce? What is it about our society today that places higher expectations on athletes when it comes to the frailties of life than we place on ourselves… and just because they are so highly paid to perform for us? Your questions, once again, appear cavalier and to lack empathy for an “athlete” going through a divorce… forget athlete… a fellow human being.

Is that how you meant them to come across?

Please tell me… At the end of the day is it really that important that the Giant’s are supposedly withholding information, or whether Huff is going to perform “like he is being paid to” afterwards, or if he was humiliated by failing to cover 2nd?

OR

Really isn’t the most important thing that a fellow human being is going through a stressful divorce and that it may or may not explain how it’s affecting his professional life?

BTW, I give the Giants props for being closed about the personal lives of their players when it comes to things like divorce.

April 25th, 2012 11:02 pm

14. tkh

wow, I’m sure glad you have compassion for someone dealing with anxiety and were trying to be sensitive, otherwise you might have been even more glib and dismissive of a fellow human being’s very real personal crisis.

April 26th, 2012 7:15 am

15. Flip Deberger

Or, it could be that none of us have any idea what is going on. Hopefully Mr. Huff will find resolution to whatever is troubling him. He’s a real person and family man first, and then a baseball player. Give him some room to breathe.

April 26th, 2012 8:50 am

I’m struggling with this one. Divorce sucks and having small children makes it infinitely worse. But, when you get paid like he does, and have performed so dismally for the past year, having empathy is a tough stretch for me. I hope he recovers so that he can take care of his children properly, first and foremost.

April 26th, 2012 11:33 am

17. Steve

Last year three of my friends saw Huff partying at a bar in Burlingame at 1:30am after the first game of the four game series against the Phillies, arguably the most important series of last year. It’s been documented that he also showed up for spring training in the worst shape of his career, never made any attempt to get in shape and it affected his performance throughout the year. He, in effect, did not honor his contract or obligations to his teammates. Yes, we should have compassion for his personal problems and hope he can find the right treatment for them, but if he has any semblance of honor remaining he should retire, thus freeing up the remaining portion of the money the Giants still owe him.

April 26th, 2012 12:17 pm

18. Dave T

Let’s hope that as a person, he can find some peace, solace and calmness in his life. It is very possible if not probable that his anxiety caused or at the very least affected his on field performace for quite some time. So let me say just a couple of things to that.

First, how quick we are to pile on a person who is underperforming currently, when let’s be completely honest, without Aubrey Huff, the Giants DO NOT win the World Series. His looseness, fun, go for it attitude helped to spur them to play well beyond their abilities to win a championship. One which this town reveled in to no end.

Second, at the end of the day, this is still just a game and just entertainement. No more and no less. And at the end of the game, they are people, human, frail and with failings. We all have fears, doubts and insecurities. Let’s hope that he is able to come to terms with his to be able to lead a productive and healthy life first. If he can get back out on the baseball diamond second, then great. If not, heal well Aubrey. Wish you the best.

April 27th, 2012 12:00 pm