In some mock drafts, the Niners take a right guard with the 30th pick in the first round. That would be boring and off the point. They need a big receiver to help them on third down and in the red zone. Period.

Comments

1. Jerod Brown

I agree completely. This is the first year in awhile that the NIners are in a position to make a “sexy” pick that creates a little buzz and excitement beyond the idea of drafting an offensive lineman because we couldn’t protect J.T. O’Sullivan. My question to you is, Does Coby Fleener fit your idea of a big receiver? Or are we talking about WR only? I just don’t see much talent in the WR group here. At least not with what will be left for the 30th pick. Better value can be found in the middle rounds.

April 26th, 2012 10:36 am

Jerod, Coby Fleener most definitely does fit the bill for a big receiver. Jerod, I know I owe you a note. Remind me in a week or two if I don’t get back to you on that other matter. Lowell

April 26th, 2012 10:38 am

that’s fine, but they had better find a starter and some depth on the OL somewhere.

April 26th, 2012 11:34 am

I think it was you who wrote that Moss and Manningham only run flys and posts…you need a five step drop to complete those passes…that’s not going to happen if alex is on his back after three…

April 26th, 2012 12:22 pm

5. Ukiah Tony

While Guard is not the Sexy pick, ALL football games are won in the trenches. It makes it a lot easier if on 1st down the offensive line can push the defensive line back 3 yards before the running back gets to the O line. With that said, I would say Tackle Martin from Stanford would be the best pick to bring in because he already knows Roman’s system and the would make Anthony Davis move from RT to RG because he is not anything special at RT but, at RG, he could be pretty good.

April 26th, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey Lowell,there was something in the paper that Baalke is enthralled by a book called “Blink”,about going by your gut instinct..something I notice I say I do that upsets certain fellow posters.
    Your one of them fancy book learners Lowell..have you heard of the book? and what do you think of it?

April 26th, 2012 2:56 pm

I like the “ixnay” term. I haven’t seen that before. I heard it, but never saw it. I agree with you, but only because our record doesn’t seem to be that great with first round OL’s

April 26th, 2012 3:19 pm

It’s a very interesting book and I recommend it.

April 26th, 2012 3:48 pm

9. Robert

I have not read or heard the word “ixnay” used for a long long time. Love the use of that word. Lowell’s long term memory is working fine.

I believe the NIners will select the best player available with the first pick. It would help if that player is a right guard or wide receiver.

I also believe that only 3 or 4 drafted players will make the team.

April 26th, 2012 3:52 pm