Here is the opening to my Tuesday column about Barry Zito and Tim Lincecum:

SAN FRANCISCO – Here’s today’s quiz:

Who is a better pitcher right now, Barry Zito or Tim Lincecum?

“Better” is an ambiguous term. I admit that. Clearly, Lincecum throws harder and has had better seasons lately. So, let’s say better means more effective, and let’s say we’re talking about right now — not last year or the year before.

And we’ll add one more question. Which guy would you want to start a game for you right now?

To read the complete column, please click here.

Comments

I was at the game today and shockingly I would say Zito is better right now.. Lincecum has a 6 + era …no contest. I am going to the game Wednesday and I hope that there is an improvement in Lincecum that we are all anxiously waiting to see.

May 29th, 2012 1:35 am

What a charmed life Zito has had..when Lowell Cohn writes an ode to you,it must be greater then I thought, to be Zito..and I thought it couldn’t get any better for him. And yet-a Beauty Pageant trophy wife and now THIS!.
    How come I see it as.. a half season of good-but far from outstanding pitching, after being so bad for five years while collecting 80 million dollars?.
    And Zito didn’t complain? about what would he complain? Tell me.If he was dropped out of the rotation..why ask why when he knows the answer is because you lose,and often.
    His fawning over the troops…typical wealthy Hawk..wrap themselves in the flag,do events for the troops,while Zito himself never gave single thought of enlisting. Let somebody else fight for Zito’s right to be wealthy and safe.
    John Wayne-Barry Zito..Hawks who never served.
    oh-and Barry was a contributor to the Bush war machine.

May 29th, 2012 8:32 am

And Lincecum? now I read Baggs and hear THEGAME..wonder if his weight loss..Well,c’mon do I have to say it again? Who was first going there? I should get a Pulitzer for best blog poster dude.

May 29th, 2012 8:34 am

4. Dave T

Was just thinking about this today actually and was going to pose the question to you on this topic. At this moment, right now, one would have to say Zito is the better of the two. Zito is, and always has been a pitcher as opposed to a thrower, something I think we can all agree upon. And when he is on, with control and an ability to mix speeds, location and looks to hitters he has proven he can be very effective. And when he is not on, well, we all know what can happen then. Let’s face it, you can make a living being either a pitcher or a thrower, Greg Maddux made a happ of fame career being a pitcher, and one of the best all time. And the recently retired Kerry Wood, was pretty much a thrower for most of his career and he had a good career at that as well. Now I am not placing Barry Zito into the rarified air of Greg Maddux, that would be foolish and downright silly. What I am saying is that right now, at this point of this baseball season, Barry Zito is the better pitcher between he and Tim Lincecum. Lincecum has the ability to turn his season around yet and there is time. But who would have guessed that at this point of the season, we would even be having this conversation. I for one certainly would never have predicted that.

May 29th, 2012 12:42 pm

Just the fact that this question, posed by you of all people, is even the slightest bit controversial…

It’s a disaster for a two time Cy Young Award winner and a nightmare for the Giants and Giant fans all over…

May 29th, 2012 3:44 pm

On two other blogs,pre game I said Lincecum would go 7 innings. Just like 2010 I know he can only do his best in cool weather. At game time it was 54f. Just like I new in that stuffy 77f-80 of Marlins and Arizona’s parks that Tim would wilt. And he sure did.
    You can’t be of average weight-197 at 5’11″ like athlete’s are..and then drop 30 pounds as the spring season and early season progresses…and have much stamina .
    And Lowell,I bet you that Lincecum-management meeting was about his weight loss. Something is very wrong when after making the same mistake in 2010 that Lincecum would do the exact same thing this year. Something very wrong.

May 31st, 2012 11:26 am