Bruce Jenkins wrote a strong column in this morning’s Chron. He advocates increasing the use of instant replay in baseball in certain situations. He wants baseball to get things right and to make use of available technology.

I disagree with Bruce on almost every point. Let me say that right away. Bruce and I have been friends for decades and I’m sure he’ll forgive me — he’s a gracious man. I believe his heart is in the right place; it always is. But, to me — my temperament is conservative — I want to leave the game the way it is. Baseball is a traditional game and it acknowledges human error. I’d say it celebrates human error. In that sense, it is a sport very much like real life.

I would hate to see some guy in a booth overrule an umpire. I would hate delays in games while other people decide what happened on the field.

Obviously, Bruce thinks differently and he may be right. I certainly love when a columnist defines the discussion for the day, and that’s exactly what Bruce did.

What do you think about increasing instant replay in baseball?

To read Bruce’s intelligent column, please click here.

Comments

Ever since they came up with super slow mo..seems ridiculous that fans can clearly see a blown call,but nothing is done about it.
    Who was the guy last year that was one out from a perfect game..and the ump blew a call at first?. According to reports THE UMP was eaten up by guilt..apologizing to the player. With replay,none of that happens…nobody carry’s a burden.
    Now,if your the type that think blown calls are what makes the game interesting…you also probably think it would be a good idea to arm everybody on a airplane too as your in the 19 century mentality…

May 30th, 2012 10:11 am

2. Steve

I usually agree with your takes Lowell, but I think you’re completely wrong on this one. Bruce nailed it – I concur with every point he makes. Every other sport has some form of instant replay to insure that officials get the call right. You say you don’t want the game delayed unnecessarily. In yesterday’s game, Arizona catcher Montero visited the mound before every pitch during one batter’s at bat. Visits to the mound, whether by a coach to give a relief pitcher more time or a catcher or infielder needing to chat about who knows what, happen numerous times almost every game. Managers and players arguing bad calls, batters stepping out of the box after every pitch to adjust their batting gloves – more delays. If delay of game is the overriding issue not to implement more replay, why don’t the umpires stop all these other delays? I’ll tell you why – it’s not about delay, it’s about the ump’s egos and their unwillingness to admit mistakes. I say enough incompetence; let’s get the calls right!

May 30th, 2012 10:50 am

3. MJ

Delays in games? This in a game that uses 3 different pitchers in one inning, each time the manager sauntering out to the mound, talking to his pitcher, signalling the next pitcher, that pitcher jogging in from left field, continuing to warm up, then finally the next batter appears. Yeah, an instant replay is really going to slow down the game. If you saw that blown call where the 1st baseman was 4 feet off the bag, yet the runner was called out, and can still say instant replay isn’t needed, please turn in your press pass at the door. Human error is stupid, thats not part of the game, thats just a bi-product of not having a true replay system in place when the game was invented, and so people excuse it as tradition. You know what else was tradition, women not being able to vote, bleeding people to “cure” them, thinking the world was flat. Just cause something has been in place for years doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change it when its obvious that a better method exists.
    You don’t review balls and strikes, but foul tips, outs, home runs, etc, are all up for review. That is handled just like in college football where they have the option to review every play , no challenges from the managers. If it is an error, phone rings, and its corrected. It takes 5 seconds to inform the ump that the last out is being reviewed, the next batter wouldn’t have even made it to the plate by that time. Give that reviewer 1 minute to make his decision and go. Thats less time than a pitcher change, less time than a manager going nose to nose with an ump, almost the same amount of time as a batter walking up to the plate and getting ready to hit, unless his name is Nomar Garciapara, in which case that could take 15 minutes.

May 30th, 2012 10:51 am

4. B-Rad

Tradition, schmedition. This isn’t religion. Get it right! But don’t let
    them question the ump’s ball and strike call, or we’ll all doze off.
    I wonder if anyone under the age of 40 agrees with you.

May 30th, 2012 2:01 pm

I’m for replays,Penicillin,and microwave ovens. I guess I like modern things and ideas.

May 30th, 2012 2:38 pm

6. glenellen

Something IS going to happen. I read this on NBC Sports:
    Expanded replay for 2013 to include umpires “at a central location”

May 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement is supposed to include expanded use of instant replay. It wasn’t able to be implemented for 2012, however, because no one was clear on how the logistics would work. Jayson Stark was on ESPN Radio this morning, however, and he says that the league, the union and the umps have an idea in the works that could go online in 2013. Via Business Insider:
    •A group of umpires will watch games from a central location
    •On plays that are “clearly wrong” the group would then signal the umpires at the game and let them know there is an obvious call that needs to be changed
    - With a central location the league would not have to hire an extra umpire at each game.

May 30th, 2012 2:52 pm

Well,after my Google post, modern things IF I can keep up!

May 30th, 2012 2:54 pm

8. mendozaline

Lowell, Do you sometimes use your computer’s spell checker instead of looking a word up in the dictionary. You might miss some interesting words that live nearby the word you are interested in. Do you ever order a book from amazon because it is so convenient, instead of a trip to a bookstore, a place where there are a myriad of surprises. Maybe you are a “selective traditionalist”. It is a slightly less pure form of a traditionalist.

May 31st, 2012 12:50 am

9. Martin Walden

One umpire upstairs to call the plays. Electronic strike zone that”s adjusted to each batter. No more floating strike zones at umps descretion, no more Stevie Wonder wannabies in blue. These clowns are all a joke. The idea is to get it right and have the best team win. All you have to do is go replay the Tiger/Red Sox game from the other day to see how a bad call completly changes the outcome of a game. We have the technology. Game would be faster when all the arguements stop.

May 31st, 2012 9:04 am

mendozaline, You lost me on this one. And I tried. I really tried.

May 31st, 2012 9:19 am

11. mendozaline

After rereading my comment, it is non sequiturish. Thanks for trying Lowell.

May 31st, 2012 9:31 am

Have a nice day, mendozaline. I always like to read your stuff even if I don’t understand it.

May 31st, 2012 9:41 am

yes replay needs to be in baseball. I dont like the fact that it should because I prefer the way the game was back in the 70′s when I grew up. No interleague, free agency in it’s infancy and missed calls by umpires resulting in arguments as an entertaining part of the game. But all of that is in the past. Technology has changed since then and that applies to pro sports. Even with replays, there still will be the entertaining arguing between managers and umps which would go something like this…..managers says to the ump, ” hey man you blew that call!!………..if you dont change it I’m going to embarrass your butt and call for replay!! ump fires back, “go ahead!! and if I was right I’ll throw your butt out of the game!!!……….that might be one way to run the replay rule, if the manager calls for it and he’s wrong, then he’s ejected from the game.

June 1st, 2012 7:54 am