Here is the opening to my Tuesday column about Bruce Bochy and Pablo Sandoval:

SAN FRANCISCO — Giants manager Bruce Bochy is in a tough situation. It’s all about Pablo Sandoval. How Bochy handles Sandoval is important — serious. Bochy will handle Sandoval just fine.

Here’s the deal. The Giants aren’t saying anything about Sandoval’s legal issues which involve alleged sexual assault Friday night in Santa Cruz. In fact, they aren’t saying much about Sandoval at all. We know Bochy had a private meeting with Sandoval Saturday morning, the morning after Sandoval’s scrape, if you can even call it a scrape. I don’t frankly know what to call it as Sandoval has not been charged with anything.

To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

How come you sportswriters have big eyes to Pablo’s girth…but your all blind about Lincecums 30 pound weight loss? What galls me (I’m gallified?) is that Pablo is getting the job done..while Lincecum cant last through the 2.5 hour workday, he’s got so little stamina.
    I would disagree Bochy is stressed…I think he thinks this is the perfect situation to show off his managing skills thanks to that starting five. He can indulge in all the double switches and suicide squeezes to his hearts content. ‘Cause that pitching isn’t going to give up much.

June 5th, 2012 7:45 am

btw,Lowell..Dan Dibly this morning skirted all out Obama bashing,then added “I know my man Jim Korzimor is raising a fist”. Yeah,as he watches FOX news?
    Don’t you find it odd that so many on air sports guys are steeped in it conservatives? And ALL those who do the hiring?..and thus nobody dares say Lincecum is too thin..its not company policy. Until he’s traded.

June 5th, 2012 8:50 am

Stan, what does being conservative have to do with not saying Lincecum is too thin? I don’t know if you noticed but the nation is waging a war on obesity. Banning fat and sugar in foods, big drinks and all things that may make someone else fat. Accordingly, it isn’t PC (that means it applies to both conservatives and liberals) to say someone is too skinny unless it is an anorexic female.

And as for on air sports guys, what I do find odd is that Keith Olbermann keeps getting hired. What a jerk.

June 5th, 2012 9:18 am

4. Steve

Full disclosure: I’m not a Panda fan. Having participated in non-professional sports my entire life, I don’t go gaga over athletes who don’t respect their sport by at least staying in shape. Sandoval is an incredible hitter, a mediocre fielder and less than dedicated to his profession. Let’s not even consider the incident in Santa Cruz – the investigation is incomplete and ongoing. Last year he came to spring training in reasonable shape only after Sabean and Bochy issued public warnings to him that his job (and lucrative contract negotiations) were at stake, but as the season progressed and he realized that his millions were guaranteed for three years, he gained weight – a lot of weight. This year no public dictums were uttered, nor did he have a personal trainer, er chaperone, to oversee his diet and conditioning regimen. So he showed up fat and has continued to add weight to the point that, before he went on the DL, he could barely bend over to field a ground ball. Bill Walsh’s philosophy was to get rid of a player one year too early than one year too late. Sandoval’s value will never be higher, his hitting skills are not debatable and his contract is very attractive. I won’t play GM by suggesting any specific trades, but I can’t imagine there will ever be a better time to consider one.

June 5th, 2012 10:30 am

Steve, You mention Bill Walsh. He could not stand athletes or coaches who were out of shape, and he privately would mock coaches who were fat.

June 5th, 2012 10:35 am

Because Dennis it strikes me as being a conservative cult that will follow Giants ownership,Larry Baer,etc,in bashing Pablo for his weight openly and freely…but they all back off of Lincecum’s even deeper seated problems because the Giants themselves use “conditioning” as code word for a possible anorexic in Lincecum.And as I pointed out..Pablo is doing his job,Lincecum cant last 2.5 hours ONCE a week!

KNBR is all over Pablo..but has never did more then offer that Lincecum had a good/bad game.
    The sports hosts are almost all conservatives. Not 100%…but over 90. That’s a unhealthy slant for information..

June 5th, 2012 11:00 am

Stan, I’m just curious, how do you know the political slant of any talk show personality, or sportswriter for that matter? I know these people personally and don’t know or ask where they stand politically.

June 5th, 2012 11:20 am

What we’ve heard publicly of Pablo’s personal life is tough. He seems to struggle in getting out of his own way. But that’s youth and some are more trouble oriented than others. His immaturity appears to be a direct threat to an otherwise very bright future.

The timing is right for Bochy to take a hard line with the Giants rising in the West. But they need Panda to hit for this lineup be productive enough to win in the second half. No DH means he’s got to play somewhere and his play clearly degrades badly when he’s fat at 3rd. And he is fat. It’s appears to be a case where he needs to grow up or go away. Perhaps this will be his turning point. Fingers are crossed.

June 5th, 2012 11:23 am

Stan, my guess is that anything you don’t like, think is unfair or find disgusting is the fault of someone with a conservative bent. It gets nauseating. You could be right about Lincecum, but why do you need to blame the lack of media focus reflecting your point of view on conservatism.

June 5th, 2012 12:09 pm

Not that hard Lowell…the rightwing jokes-I just a few minutes ago heard Papa make a joke about a mexican he told to park his car,Papa’s Bentley..no liberal goes there,the Obama bashing,the very willingness to promote a ownerships agenda…all things a liberal reporter would never do. Unless he’s a paid off crook. Also Lowell…
    Ann Killion I see as liberal,Monte Poole,Paul Gutierrez maybe..after them..its moderates like you,then I’m back to the 90%.
    As far as Program directors at KNBR,95.7 AND Griggs at Comcast? 100% conservatives..

Well I could mention more names..but you see my method.

June 5th, 2012 12:27 pm

And Dennis..liberals would present a more understanding nature to what conservatives would call “A weakness to pull yourself up by the bootstraps” as Patrick Connors said about Huff..so will ignore a Lincecum anorexia.
    See,I know that many people don’t have bootstraps to pull themselves up with..or boots…or feet. Liberals see a gray area..

June 5th, 2012 12:32 pm

Happy Election Day, Stan!

June 5th, 2012 12:55 pm

Stan, if you, as a liberal, are so understanding why do you have this constant need to bash anyone?

June 5th, 2012 1:44 pm

Bar rules should apply here Lowell.
    Stan: Why is it that you’re the only one I know of that claims The Freak has an eating disorder?
    Do you have links where actual experts share your opinion that he’s anorexic?
    *ALOHA*

June 5th, 2012 3:28 pm

You see it as bashing,I see it as truth saying when the conservative status quo wont talk -or write. You know Dennis..I talked-wrote- about Lincecum,Huff and drinking,JaMarcus and addictive personality..Pablo’s weight. And NEVER did I say they were bad people -did I?
    Now,those who know better and WANT to deceive the public? DO get what-for, from me.

June 5th, 2012 4:39 pm

A perfect example is Slick Billy. He’s even praised to the hilt by KNBR…when the A’s and 95.7 are the enemy. Amazing. Other then Lowell..who says that Beane is in it for the money ,not winning?
    But,Slick runs in the same circles I’m sure as KNBR head honcho’s..same Danville-San Ramon-Pleasanton homes..country clubs. That’s how it works..

June 5th, 2012 4:44 pm

glad you called Stan out Lowell, on his usual rant about his knowing what a persons political preference is when there’s no way possible he could know from the little facts that he states. He trashed John Madden as a Republican just because Madden sat next to George Bush at a Super Bowl……….I guess Bill Walsh was a Republican just because he was friends with Condaleza Rice.

June 5th, 2012 6:45 pm

And Chris..where’s your proof I’m wrong?..You don’t see the irony of your post do you?

June 6th, 2012 8:47 am

Call me out? I thought he was asking how I do it?

And why Wiki can be aggravating?..I read a quote about Alduous Huxley..something about Prophets are hated more when their predictions are shown to be right,then if they were wrong. Something like that. But I went back..and that whole line was gone. Somebody removed it.
    But my sports prophecy sure is hated. And Ann is a liberal right Lowell?..you asked I’m sure.

June 6th, 2012 9:33 am

I can just see Sandoval becoming a Tony Gwinn or a Kirby Puckett after he retires and become obese and have a short life span. Gwinn is on borrowed time , unless he had lost 200 pounds lately.

June 6th, 2012 11:43 am

Found it: The worst fate for a prophet is for his predictions to come true,when everyone resents him for being so clear eyed”
    Ain’t it the truth.

June 7th, 2012 2:34 pm

22. TruthSayer

Stan – hahaha, I know Dan D personally – HE IS A RAGING LIBERAL!!!!!! He’s even a vegan if I remember correctly.

Nice try, but like they say, keep trying

June 9th, 2012 10:12 am

Well..when did I say Dibly was a conservative? I know he’s a vegan and drives a hybrid. Like I said-I wasn’t going to name every single personality in the bay area. Man,EVERYBODY know those things about Dibly,although I don’t think of him as raging liberal..a Democrat but not raging liberal.
    You know him personally…but have to think if he’s a vegan? ..uhuh…eyes roll.

June 9th, 2012 12:01 pm

Well,.I might as well come clean since you truthsayer said you know Dan personally.
    I know Lowell Cohn personally and never revealed it. Until now. He has a son named Grant, a cat, and his wife is named Mrs. CohnZohn.
    I’m sorry Lowell..but I had to purge and reveal to prove it…

June 9th, 2012 7:11 pm