This is the opening to my Thursday column:

ALAMEDA — Here is my working hypothesis about the Raiders. Their offense will be exciting. That doesn’t begin to express the concept. It will be dynamite.

I can’t speak for the defense which has a long way to go, and I can’t say how many games the Raiders will win. But the offense will scare opponents, yes, scare them.

OK, that’s the opening. I interviewed Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp for his insights into what his offense will try to do, and for his philosophy of offense. It is different from what we’ve previously seen in Oakland. To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

1. Vijay

Great column as always, Lowell and good to see some Raiders coverage and I do hope you’ll write more about the Raiders.

Yes offensively with Palmer and the other weapons, the Raiders will be just fine and can match with the best offenses in the league. The key issue is defense and whether the star playmakers can stay relatively healthy. Even if the Defense improves to just about average, we will have more wins than last year. Also I’ve heard from SI’s Jim Trotter that the conditioning of the players last year were very poor. So with a new conditioning coach, that should hopefully improve as well.

All said and done, things are finally looking up in the Raider Nation.

June 7th, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks, Vijay. In the next few weeks I would like to sit down with Dennis Allen and write a column about him. Next week, I’m exclusively doing golf, so it will be after that.

June 7th, 2012 9:08 am

3. Capts

Good column, Lowell. I agree the Raiders have a lot in place to have a good offense. Namely, McFadden, Reece, Moore and the 5th ranked O-line in the NFL. I do have some concern with Palmer. He just made too many Favre-like interceptions, ones that came out of nowhere and were kind of wild. I suppose a lot of that could be attributed to being pushed in too soon. There are a lot of players with a lot to prove this season. Should be fun.

June 7th, 2012 11:55 am

You were in a really good mood when you wrote this huh Lowell?..wow,its REALLY optimistic,lol…or Mark Davis is holding your cat for ransom..

June 7th, 2012 12:00 pm

and on the first day of spring training even the Kansas City Royals think they have a shot to win it all…

Despite all the hard work of Dennis, Greg & Reggie, this is still the same group of undisciplined bums who led the league in penalties and flat out tanking the fourth quarter…

ok…I’ll give you that Rout was sent packing but Rolando “the kid” McClain is still shooting blanks in the middle.

I’m happy you’re enjoying Glasnost in Alameda but that means nothing in the win column.

June 7th, 2012 4:24 pm

Lowell:
    Thanks for the advance warning about how you’re exclusively doing golf next week.
    *ALOHA*

June 7th, 2012 4:31 pm

7. mbabco

I’m just not 100% sold on Carson Palmer. It will be fun to see.

June 7th, 2012 4:47 pm

have to agree with Stan on this one. Every mention of the Raiders by Lowell since Al Davis died and a GM was hired has the vibe of….YIPEEE!!!! ding dong the witch is dead!!!

This praise of Knapp makes no sense whatsoever since he was terrible as the Raiders OC previously.

June 7th, 2012 6:43 pm