Manny Pacquiao just lost a split decision to Tim Bradley, who won Pacquiao’s welterweight title. Baloney. I watched the fight on pay per view. I’m good at scoring fights. I’ve been doing it since I was 10. And Bradley did not come close to winning. He mostly ran and he never once landed an important punch, and he never hurt Pacquiao. Pacquiao pursued him the whole fight. Pacquiao made the fight. Pacquiao landed more punches. Pacquiao landed the power punches.

When you want a champ’s title you must take it from him, and Bradley had no desire to take. You could make a case that Pacquiao won every round, although Bradley might have won two. Certainly he did not win the fight. Disgraceful.

There is one benefit to this silly decision. Floyd Mayweather, who is afraid of Pacquiao, now may find the guts to fight him when he gets out of jail. I always have believed Mayweather has the style to beat Pacquiao. Maybe Mayweather will muster the courage to prove it.

Now, it’s the morning after that awful decision. I just read Tim Kawakami’s blog and I’m glad to see Tim agrees with me. He and Monte Poole are boxing guys, the last of a breed. To read Tim’s blog, click here.

Comments

1. Dave

Wow, This type of decision makes me angry! Angry enough to purposefully not watch boxing, the exact opposite of what this type of corruption intends. Pacquiao has enough money and dignity, he should just retire and focus on more important things like his political career and religious beliefs. That would really throw a wrench in the plans of the fixers eh?

June 9th, 2012 11:00 pm

2. jay

Disgraceful. I too paid to watch this farce. Sports are about competition in order to earn the outcome, or “win”. Professional boxing has been in a state of decline for a number of years. Consequently the current state of boxing makes it no different than “pro wrestling” where there isn’t a real competition and the outcome a contrivance.

June 10th, 2012 7:52 am

I don’t think boxing could handle an Asian being on top for so long. If he was from this country the fight would have to be one sided for him to lose-or knocked out even. But Manny is from the Philippines..no respect for all his championship wins even after all these years?
    Its like Spoelstra…I heard mid week how the Celtics coach had out coached Spoelstra..heard it over and over. Now that Miami won?..Oh..it was ALL LeBron..

June 10th, 2012 8:42 am

Jim Lampley called it the worst scoring in history. I don’t follow boxing but would of pay per view for Mayweather and Pacq fight. Anyway Pacq will knock him out in Novemeber and everything will be right in the world. Maybe computers should take over instead of subjective corrupt judges.

June 10th, 2012 9:03 am

I personally have not paid for one of these mega fight events for many years now. Too many ridiculous things can happen. But this is the worst kind of outcome….an obvious travesty by the judges. But I’ve seen fights where one boxer obviously tanks or goes nuts. I think Tyson biting off Holyfield’s ear was the last straw for me. I haven’t bought one these since and why would I or anyone else for that matter. It would take a great fight to justify $65 price tag and those fights are just too far and few between. Boxing remains in a sorry state. Very sad.

June 10th, 2012 10:20 am

6. Brady

All the people who paid for this fight should be refunded. Boxing should have an appeal program. If Sean Payton can appeal his suspension for trying to hurt people, shouldn’t Pacquiao be able to appeal a truly incompetent decision?

June 10th, 2012 11:07 am

7. B-Rad

A worse decision than that in the Muhammad Ali – Antonio Inoki match in the mid seventies?
    Ali was the heavyweight boxing champion of at least one organization and Inoki
    the heavyweight pro Japanese wrestling champion. Ali had beaten Frazier in the
    ‘Thrilla in Manila’ the previous year and Inoki had just beaten the greatest judoka
    of the time, 1972 Olympic heavyweight champ, William Ruska.
    The rules for the match were limited in Ali’s favor, so for most of the 15 round
    match, Inoki crab-walked around chasing Ali and kicking Ali’s legs.
    Ali threw six punches in the 15 round match, I don’t think he landed any. Inoki kicked
    Ali many times, putting Ali in the hospital with a badly swollen leg, 2 blood
    clots and an infection. It was called a draw. This decision was that bad?

June 10th, 2012 12:04 pm

I’m not surprised Manny lost on the scorecards. I didn’t see the fight and I’m sure Lowell is right on with his scoring. Still, Manny seemed due for a loss. His last few fights didn’t seem to be the guy who throws 1000 punches in a fight……..maybe he really was on the juice and now he’s off it…….and there goes Stan again. Making ridiculous comments about race or politics. And its not about whether your predicitons are correct, its about pre judging folks without having any facts…..I like to believe that society’s matured enough these days that racial predjudice and politcal preference isn’t a factor much anymore……as the “ahead of his time” Jimi Hendrix once said Stan…”you’re livin in the past”.

June 10th, 2012 2:01 pm

9. latopia

Pacquiao clearly beat Bradley — and looked much better doing so than his”win” vs. Marquez. Therein the rub. If it wasn’t an outright fix, as many seem to think, there are human if not humane considerations that are somewhat plausible. Example: did the criticism Nevada received in the aftermath of a questionable decision over Marquez nudge hypersensitive judges to overcompensate “the other way”, i.e., against the defending champ? Pacquiao looked rejuvenated and reanimated vs. Bradley, unlike his last desultory defense against Marquez. That Pacquiao hardly seemed surprised at the upset could speak to his character and/or, perhaps, belief in “penance” (e.g., Marquez was a gift, Bradley is the price).

June 10th, 2012 5:19 pm

10. gary

Sure glad that happened in Nevada, instead
    of California. Bad news for boxing, which really does not need anymore “black eyes”

June 10th, 2012 6:12 pm

Ask Prof. Harry Edwards..and he will agree with you.I’m a kook to make assertions bigotry is alive in sports. Email him.

June 10th, 2012 7:43 pm

12. Tommy CostaRica

Stan I’m with you, good comment. Race is always an issue. We are still not completely unlike animals. It is simply part of our nature to feel adversely to someone different than us. You should see it in abroad it’s even worse!

June 11th, 2012 8:08 am

13. Paul C. Garrett

Score another point for the UFC. Boxing is dead.

June 11th, 2012 9:43 am

14. Streetglide

Ah, but wait. Maybe it was “in the cards” so that Pretty Boy Floyd would man-up and come out to fight. In which case Manny will beat the snot out of him. I think there is more here than the obvious — a fixed fight. The refs got paid off, Manny took it easy and now Floyd — big brave Floyd — will think this is easy pickins’…

June 11th, 2012 2:26 pm

15. BluesBikePete

As Boxing bleeds fans, especially to younger people, to the exciting UFC/Cage fighting, along comes one of the worst “decisions” to be rendered in recent boxing history. i feel like a dinosaur to still be an avid boxing fan and “horror shows” like this, question my dedication to the fistic art. I look forward to your overview after the facts are all in. i am not a conspiracy person, but can someone make sense of this decision? Can the last fan to leave the sport, please turn out the light?

June 11th, 2012 5:07 pm

Arum represents both Pacquiao & Bradley.

Arum put the fix in.

Pacquiao wins in November…then they have one more to SETTLE IT ALL!!!

Stan, with all respect to you and Harry Edwards this IS all about color…

The Color is GREEN

June 12th, 2012 8:22 am

Can you imaigine how many millions and millions and MILLIONS of dollars were lost on Saturday?!
    I mean..the odds were 3 to 1, right?
    *ALOHA*