Here is the opening to my Wednesday column about Tiger Woods:

SAN FRANCISCO

Tiger Woods had just gone full snippy in a Tuesday news conference. He tries to act nice, he really does, but full snippy is right below the surface.

A reporter asked the obvious question, the key question of U.S. Open Week: Does he have to win a major to prove he’s a great golfer again?

“I think even if I do win a major championship,” Woods replied, “it will still be, ‘You’re not to 18 yet,’ or ‘When will you get to 19?’ It’s always something with you guys. I’ve dealt with that my entire career ever since I was an amateur and playing all the way through and to professional golf. It hasn’t changed.”

To read the rest of the column, please click here.

Comments

I was going to say that I read someplace that Woods also was against the cart…then I remembered YOU wrote that. whew- I post like Grandma collected blue and green stamps to get the electric Turkey carver..lol. Oh well,nobody gets run over in this hobby and no horses are frightened if I get a tad bit carried away..

June 12th, 2012 6:46 pm

2. B-Rad

If I were in Tiger’s position and asked all of these questions, day after day,
    week after week, month, year, decade – I’d be a lot grouchier than Tiger.

June 12th, 2012 7:41 pm

B-Rad, it’s part of his lucrative job to answer questions. Phil Mickelson was cordial and so was Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Casey Martin. Please stop making excuses for Woods.

June 12th, 2012 7:43 pm

totally Lowell in your response to B-Rad………these guys like Tiger and Barry Bonds are so disgustingly rich, that answering questions at press conferences should be a breeze…..but when you get smart ass cranky responses from the likes of Tiger and Bonds, you really see the true colors of these guys and what jerks they are.

June 12th, 2012 8:25 pm

I think it’s a fair question because Tiger is the one whose stated goal is to break Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18 major wins.

Tiger has already defined in advance whether his golf career will have been a total success by the magic number 19.

June 13th, 2012 12:47 am

“Even if he doesn’t win, he must make his stand like a champion. He can’t tie for 40th as he did at the Masters after winning his previous tournament. And he can’t kick his club, like a petulant child, as he did at the Masters, and become a virtual bystander while others grab the glory.”

Why? When he wakes up the next morning he will still be Tiger Woods in search of his next tounament win. And when he is in contention at any tournament on any given Sunday the TV audiance will be double. He doesn’t need to do anything this weekend and absolutley nothing in will change. I tend to think that if you (“you guys”) want Tiger Wood’s respect, and it sounds like you do, you need to start by knowing what you are talking about when it comes to the game of golf. Tiger doesn’t need to make any stand. He will win when he wins.

June 13th, 2012 7:43 am

Nobody is inspected this closely in the world of sports. OK, maybe a half dozen others….Lebron comes to mind these days. But golf is year round and Tiger deals with this stuff constantly. It’s a whole new standard. Yeah, he does get paid for it so it’s part of the job.

I saw the presser on TV, and noticed the brief barb, but he quickly controlled himself. At least he didn’t go totally crazy and realized his mistake and recovered relatively gracefully. I don’t see why so much has to be made of it. If he doesn’t win this weekend, the drama and traveling golf show will continue with high ratings and intrigue for years. Your statement that he must win is completely artificial. The bigger story should be the local angle with SF playing host for this big stage show. There are enough other great golfers playing the game today to make this tournament quite interesting without making Tiger the only focus.

June 13th, 2012 10:19 am

8. stan

Tiger is the Lindsay Lohan of golf. Only Tigers drug of choice is primarily steroids. He’s as pricky as ..well.Barry Bonds too.

When you see so many other golf greats who are relaxed and appreciate the winnings and life of a golfer..maybe you have to think..Its the steroids talking and whatever other drugs Tiger has in his arsenal.
    I mean,nobody was ripping Tiger when he was 20 and thin..all the snippiness didn’t start until Tiger got into body building.
    He’s not a likeable person..and maybe he thinks that’s the way to be?

June 13th, 2012 10:25 am

9. GeoffC

Why is answering reporters questions part of a golfers job? I understand for other sports where there is a contract to play for and represent a team. But golf?

June 13th, 2012 11:47 am

Part of this guy’s job…his chosen profession…is to be an ambassador of the game…

He has never understood that…when he was winning he got away with it…now he doesn’t and he’s annoyed that his “I’m Tiger and you’re NOT” nonsense doesn’t fly anymore…

He clearly surrounds himself with yes men and cannot function unless addressed as ‘Sire’…he displayes the maturity level of a 4 year old…

I couldn’t care less about Golf but I root against Tiger Woods in whatever he does…

June 13th, 2012 1:11 pm

11. Dave T

Should Tiger anser questions with grace and gratitude? Yes. Should he have to continue to answer the same question, over and over and over? Let’s be reasonable, no.

Look, we can compare him to other players all we want, but that is really not even fair. He has 73 wins all time, against typically stronger fields as he chooses to play in those events. Next best is like what, 40? That is not even within Star Trek hailing distance. And the Majors count of 14 to next closest, what maybe 4 or 5? I am simply comparing players in his era and playing today. Fact is nobody is in his same zip code, not when it comes to success or the amount of scrutiny and media coverage he faces. Is it self inflicted? Yes, by and large it is, no question. And he should, yes should, be more gracious. Look, in the end, he is still human. Fallable, flawed and well, human. And isn’t that what all wanted? No more Tiger the robot? No more canned answers? Let us see some of that emotion he shows on the course off the course in the interview room? So now he is, and he gets curt when pressed on uncomfortable questions or even nagging ones that have been asked and answered over and over and you want him to be nice all the time? Like my Dad always told me, be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it.

Oh, and for the record on my take? Tiger owes me nothing. Neither did Bonds, or Bradshaw or Lemieux or Bird. Same goes for Cruise, Spielberg, Ford, Lucas or Washington. Or Van Halen, Satriani, Ray Vaughn or Collins. Now would I like them to be personable when interviewed, or stopped for an autograph? Sure I would. Would that make me like them more? Yes, it just might. But I turn on the game, or go to the movie or see the concert becuase of their ability to perform and entertain me. That is what I am looking for and why I tune in. And truthfully, I enjoy it when they are more like me, more human, more real. Because I know I bristle when I am asked the same question, over and over and over. And that is when I am queried by my 10 year old. So why should I expect any more or less from an entertainer? And a human one at that.

June 13th, 2012 1:46 pm

Stan, I don’t disagree with you about the steriods, but they didn’t cause his attitude. They caused the many knee operations. His attitude started to change when he became a billion dollar industry and everyone around him and in the vicinty wanted something from him. Everyone had their hand out reaching for piece of him. And then his world really changed when his father died. His father was the only one who could keep him semi grounded. That is what caused the attitude change and I don’t really blame him.

June 13th, 2012 4:30 pm