I’ve been pondering the trade that just brought guard Jarrett Jack to the Warriors and I’ve come to some conclusions — mostly this proves Bob Myers is the right GM for the Warriors, at least up to now.

He got what the Warriors need — a veteran backup point guard. And Jack is no dud. He actually can play, a good thing if Stephen Curry gets hurt.

But this trade means more than just that. It was part of a three-team deal with Philadelphia and New Orleans the other two teams. Hey, I like former Warriors GM Larry Riley, but I’m not sure he could have pulled this off. This trade involved Myers enormous contacts in the league and his imagination. Convoluted, creative trades like this one are exactly why Joe Lacob promoted Myers.

Comments

1. Steve

Jack may become a valuable piece and Bob Myers may indeed turn out to be an excellent GM, but, and correct me if I’m wrong, I think I heard him use “good character guy” when asked about Jack (I was only half listening). This is a phrase he has used repeatedly since being promoted. I humbly suggest he stop using it until the Warriors prove him correct.

July 12th, 2012 10:47 am

Steve, I’m with you on that one.

July 12th, 2012 11:02 am

Clearly Myers has a bigger rolodex than Riley did and can relate to the talent better. His promotion and the play to build an arena in SF is sending a message to the talent in the league that the Warrior management wants to win. We will see if that translates into the wanting to come here. But at least it is a good place to start.

July 12th, 2012 11:27 am

funny, character probably is a bigger issue these days post Monta’s and Beidrins shenanigans of late. Ah, let’s not forget coach Jackson in that equation, though I still support him.

I liked Jack out of college. I’m a bit skeptical of his numbers playing on a garbage team like he has. But still, it’s a decent piece for a team still missing many. Hope to hear more noise on this front this off season.

July 12th, 2012 12:08 pm

Basically, they got Jack for Wright + $1 mil.
    They get a good veteran combo Guard for a Small Forward that was expendable.
    Great deal if you ask me.
    Now let’s re-sign Rush and get Jamison back and get down to business!
    *ALOHA*

July 12th, 2012 1:08 pm

yep Myers is doing a great job so far. The draft was brilliant and Jarret Jack is a high quality NBA gaurd. And the three way deal reminds of something a young Sandy Alderson did when he first became GM with the A’s in the late 80′s.

July 12th, 2012 1:28 pm

I made a post last year where I pointed out that the Warriors need a GM who can make trades with teams like the Warriors..weak in one area but strong in others.and that the Warriors should stop the waste of time trying to get the NBA’s elite by offering Monta and scrubs in return. Meyers heard me.

And -dont think Meyers early promotion was an accident. I’m sure Lacob was still steaming that his greatest move as owner was spotting Lin,drafting Lin, and signing Lin…only to have Riley talk Lacob into cutting the wonder-bar Kid. Lacob then saw why Riley under Cohan was a losing GM.
    No amount of breaking stuff was going to make Lacob happy when the news world was filled with Linsanity. Thus, Riley got the boot.

July 12th, 2012 1:55 pm

Riley nice guy but not a GM, a scout is more in his calling. I would like Meyers to pick his own coach, surely they can do better then Mark Jackson. Lacob needs to realize he made a mistake with Jackson.

July 12th, 2012 3:14 pm

9. Lo Sbandato

This is Jack’s fifth team in a nine year career. He’s the definition of journeyman. How does this qualify as proof that Meyers is a good GM? Nobody in the league is saying “Damn, the Warriors got Jack before we did! Now we’ll never win an NBA title”.

For Steve: “On the morning of Sunday, February 20, 2011, he was arrested for DUI in a suburb of Atlanta, while returning from an All-Star weekend party. He was going 66 in a 45 MPH zone and was also weaving uncontrollably. He failed a field sobriety test, and when taken to the police station, he got just under the legal limit of 0.08 on the breathalyzer; however, this was over an hour later. He was charged with DUI and failure to maintain lane and was released later that night.”

July 14th, 2012 3:01 pm

10. Albert Park

Lo Sbandato: I don’t think a young guy being moderately drunk sounds like a career criminal. Several serious DUIs and a few handgun escapades, yeah, I can see that that’s a problem. But let’s give this kid the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

July 14th, 2012 10:50 pm