This Sabean topic sure has legs. I appreciate how passionate all of you are either pro or con on Sabean. Here’s a quiz. Rate these five GMs in order of best to worst and give a reason: Baalke, Sabean, Beane, Myers, McKenzie. I will stay out of the discussion. This topic belongs to you. And thanks for playing.

Comments

1. Capts

1. Beane/Sabby Sabes Near identical winning percentage and playoff appearances. Brian got the WS, Billy works with a HUGE disadvantage.
    2. Baalke Some will say his fingerprints aren’t totally over the current roster, but it’s hard to argue with last year.
    3. McKenzie He’s an unknown with strong credentials. We’ll see. He looks promising.
    4. Myers It’s the Warriors. Unless they make the playoffs for a couple of years, they’ll continue to be laughed at.

August 1st, 2012 4:59 pm

1. Beane – I was going to go with Baalke but Beane has been more consistent over a much longer period of time, so I have to go with Beane even though I am not an A’s fan. I pick Beane first because he has consistently found undiscovered talent as opposed to buying talent and I think that is the number one job of a good GM. Beane has done more with less than any GM in the area.
    2. Baalke – He came in and is doing pretty much what Billy Beane has been doing for a long time. I like how he is not going out and over paying for players. I like his patience in the free agency market. So far I don’t think he has made a wrong move and in his first full year the team he put together got to the championship game
    3. Sabean – Only because Myers and McKenzie are too new at it, but I suspect I am going to like Myers. The reason Sabean is third is because he has not gotten the results that he should have for the money he has spent. I don’t think he is as good a judge of talent as either 1 or 2 above. If he was there would not be as much dead money on the payroll as there is.
    4. Meyers – I like what he has done thus far but that isn’t saying very much.
    5. McKenzie – He is last primarily because I didn’t like his selection of Dennis Allen as head coach. I could be very wrong about that and I hope that I am. But that is all I know and thus all I have to go on.

August 1st, 2012 5:11 pm

3. Tetsuo the Bullet Man

How can this be any sort of realistic comparison? Two guys who have been in their jobs for more than a decade each versus 3 guys who have a combined total of one season in charge of a team? It’s comparing apples and space shuttles.

All the love for Baalke is misplaced. He’s getting a lot of credit for no big moves at all and for the fact the Niners played a loser’s schedule in possibly the worst division in professional sports.

August 1st, 2012 5:13 pm

4. Lo Sbandato

And still not an ounce of respect for Doug Wilson.

The number one job of any GM is building a winning team. Finding talent is a scout’s job, and keeping payroll low is the job of a CEO. Beane isn’t running a software company, it’s a professional sports team. Occasionally bursts above mediocrity is hardly a gold star on a GM’s resume, no matter how well he stocks other team’s rosters with talent.

August 1st, 2012 5:20 pm

I know what I think. I think Dennis and K.Sense are commies. Un Americans. Sabean applied good old American capitalism and won the World Series. Damn socialists!..get the hell out of my country!

August 1st, 2012 5:32 pm

6. Brady

Let me start by saying that I disagree that world championships automatically make you the best. GMs do their job, and then they are at the mercy of how coaches, players, and lady luck do theirs. The job that Baalke did last year could very easily have resulted in a super bowl. Had Ted Ginn not gotten injured, we may be praising Baalke as a super-bowl winning GM. Yes, a GM earns credibility by winning championships, but what is more impressive is an ability to build a team that SUSTAINS championship-caliber play.

1) Sabean – he has built a team with multiple championship opportunities. He’s made good in-season trades and great extensions. The Giants are close to becoming a near-yearly contender like the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox, etc.

2) Beane – Baalke could surpass him, but for now his track record is much longer and sustainability is not easy.

3) Baalke – He got Harbaugh. He drafts well. He sees in house talent very well (letting Spikes and Franklin go so that Bowman, McDonald and Sopoaga could play required a brilliant eye). If this team is still contending for a Super Bowl in five years – and I think they will be – He solidly leapfrogs Baalkie.

4) Myers – far too early to tell, but he’s made some strong moves thus far. He’s not afraid to make a big move, but, just as importantly, he doesn’t make panic trades.

5 McKenzie – Jury is still out.

August 1st, 2012 5:33 pm

7. Tommy CostaRica

Everybody has their moment of greatness in their lives whatever level they’re at. Their moment in the sun, their one minute of fame. When you find three guys down the stretch Huff, Ross & Burrell, cheap and that are about to have their best days of their whole careers for you, you know talent! Amazing job Sabean! But Bean is great in his own way, he makes other GMs believe he’s giving them the cat’s meow and they just throw all their very best prospects at him, like he’s doing them a favor. And most of those star pitchers he gives away never quite live up to their expectations, save one or two, Gio for sure this year.

August 1st, 2012 5:58 pm

8. MJ

A list that excludes the most successful franchise, and therefore their gm, over the last decade, is a hollow list, just saying. So not to make that mistake twice:

The GM with the most sustained success…Doug Wilson of the Sharks.

The GM with the only championship, but a top 10 payroll and years without playoffs (and hasn’t ever been really caleld to task about his involvement with Bonds)…Brian Sabean.

The GM whose done the most with the least but sometimes thrown in the towel too early, yet still has the best eye for talent…Billy Beane.

The new upstart, looks to be a great success, but unjustly (and pretty idiotically) got the wrath of Cohn and Ira Miller, and I called them both out on it, the day he was hired because he wasn’t proven…proved a lot didn’t he?…Baalke.

And McKenzie…who knows anything yet, give him a year, could be the next Baalke or could be the next Donahue.

With all that said, I really don’t think you can rank any one above another. You can rank McKenzie at this point in time at the bottom because he has no finished product to show but for their career arch’s all of the GM’s have been successful, most all have had “failure”. I don’t think winning or not winning a championship should deem one a success or failure, rather did they set their teams up as best they could, given their economic restraints, to compete. And yeah…they have.

August 1st, 2012 6:18 pm

9. MJ

Woops…McKenzie and Meyers should both be at that bottom sharing the spot.

August 1st, 2012 6:21 pm

10. Albert Park

Lowell: Let’s be honest here. The only thing we fans know about GMs is what the sportswriters tell us. We don’t get to talk to them. We don’t get to see them play. We can only add up wins and losses, which can be attributed to many factors. So the only valid way to evaluate them would be to poll the sportswriters and broadcasters who know their work. I see so many conflicting opinions about GMs I don’t know what to think!

August 1st, 2012 6:41 pm

The line of reasoning…the thread..that winning the Championship doesn’t measure quality?..The Bills went to five SB and lost everyone. Nobody mentions them-ever. The Panthers won one with a QB manager…that announcer guy,Dilford..And they are mentioned ALL the time over a decade later.
    And all the way down the line on that baby….

August 1st, 2012 7:10 pm

Stan, Commie? You got me good and you made me laugh doing it. That was classic. Good for you!

As to your last post, who was the better GM the Panther guy who went once or the Bills guy who went 5 times?

August 1st, 2012 7:33 pm

Stan, Maybe it turns out the Panther GM and the Bills GM are the same guy???

August 1st, 2012 7:34 pm

Baallke got Harbaugh?……..dont make me laugh, it was the Yorks money that got Harbaugh……..have to agree its way premature to compare all of these guys. Sabean and Beane are the adults of the Bay Area GM debate…….the rest are infants……….I’d put Baalke in the same catagory as the last Warrior GM……cant even remember his name he was such a non entity………..nice guy though.

August 1st, 2012 7:34 pm

Dennis,if you asked the then owner of the Bill’s “Would you rather have a GM who brings you five losses in the Super Bowl and no wins,or ONE Super Bowl appearance and a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?..you tell me Dennis he doesn’t hire the Winner.
    Who wouldn’t?

August 1st, 2012 7:45 pm

16. Dr. Feelgood

The way I look at the GM job, the rub is to put things in order when the wheels fall off, and then consistently overachieve.
    McKenzie- no body of work. We’ll see.
    Myers- shook up the roster, good draft, solid free agents. Good looking start. Gets a pass because the team didn’t perform and the only way to go is up.
    Baalke- can’t argue with him. Inherited what turned out to be good talent, but he didn’t sit on last years success. He needed wide-outs and he went out and got them, in bunches. His FA signings and draft picks are, if not exceptional, very solid. He gives his coach what he needs to succeed.
    On the other hand, Sabean builds a nice team, but never an elite one. They have needed power for years and he cannot entice the big sticks to come to play in his ballpark. I see that as a definite shortcoming and a deal-breaker to being the top GM. I love the Giants, and kudos for the WS title, but they snuck in.
    Beane is the most resourceful. Budget has prevented him from retaining his stars, caused him to sell off his hot prospects at the end of every year, and still he finds a way to build a competitive team. If Beane and Sabean swapped seats, I do believe Sabean would do no better with the A’s than Beane, but Beane would make the Giants a powerhouse.
    So, for me it’s BEANE, with Baalke a close second.

August 1st, 2012 8:51 pm

17. MJ

Stan….Panthers never won a SB, just to clarify. And its Dilfer, not Dilford. And that was the Ravens. So I guess it isn’t remembered as much. And the Bills…4 trips to the SB, not 5. Did you make one point based off a valid fact?

And on top of that, the Bills did win 2 AFL championships pre Super Bowl era, but that doesnt count now does it?

What was the point of your post again?

August 1st, 2012 10:49 pm

Stan, Who would that guaranteed winner be? He doesn’t exist and that is my point. The Bills had the better GM. They just couldn’t get over the top.

August 1st, 2012 10:54 pm

Dr FG, There was nothing competitive in two straight last place west finishes for the A’s..it was bad trades. Someplace somewhere I know I read Beane admitting he might have traded too soon some great players. And he hasn’t been that honest since. That was pre lionization by the movie.

August 2nd, 2012 7:38 am

You know I still remember July of 2012 like it was just yesterday when the swing’in A’s-like out of a movie- challenged the rich and wealthy despots Angels and Rangers. The A’s battled hard and had the big boys pinned down,waiting for reinforcements from the Beane man. It never came.
    The End.

August 2nd, 2012 8:36 am

MJ.makes no difference to my post’s point. Its hypothetical inside of a metaphor. And you know that.

August 2nd, 2012 11:35 am

22. Dr. Feelgood

Thank you, I appreciate your opinion, and that’s rather my point; resources are slim to non in A’s-ville.

August 2nd, 2012 1:24 pm

No,that wasn’t the point . Its a fact this ownership has a ton of cash. In equity,in ownership value. Like I always point out “Oh,we got stadium building money”(1 billion)..they dont money for players now?
    They choose not to spend i,and THATS been the reason for 2006-2011. Like Wolf said ” A world series isn’t worth it if I have to spend money”.

August 2nd, 2012 2:56 pm

Lowell,why are people blind?

August 2nd, 2012 2:57 pm

btw,I heard second hand that Wolff told Ray Fosse- who knows I campaigned to get him kept in the booth. No sweat Ray!..asked Wolff a question and Wolff says they want to model the A’s after the Giants. I have no idea if he was kidding…

August 2nd, 2012 2:59 pm

And add to my August 1st 5:32 post…ahem, ” ATHEISTS!”. Done..

August 2nd, 2012 3:01 pm

27. Will

Billy. Because of the contract Sabean gave to Barry Zito. Worst contract in the history of baseball.

August 5th, 2012 9:55 am