Mrs. Cohn Zohn and I just arrived at our rental house in Sea Ranch. I was not thinking of Barry Bonds as I unpacked the car. Mrs. Cohn Zohn made us two cups of tea and she started reading the paper so I fired up my computer and there was an article about Bonds. The man refuses to go away or hide under a rock. Barry Bloom from mlb.com interviewed Bonds. Barry Bloom is a dear friend of mine going back decades and he is a great reporter — the tops — and he alone of all reporters managed to form a relationship with Bonds. I admire what Bloom did. Only he could get this Bonds interview.

In the interview Bonds said he belongs in the Hall of Fame, he is suspicious of writers who do not vote for him. And he went on about his love for San Francisco, even though he lives in LA. I do not believe he is a logical thinker. I also do not believe he will get into the Hall any time soon, despite his constant electioneering to that purpose. Too bad for him. To read Barry Bloom on Barry Bonds, click here.

Comments

1. Albert Park

Barry Bonds is so full of crap he makes me sick.

August 7th, 2012 6:16 pm

2. Public animal

Go Barry. You do belong in the Hall of Fame. You were the best player in your era. Unless they plan on throwing out 20 great years of baseball all together Bonds would deserve to get in hands down.

All the baseball writers and fans who think of themselves as baseball purists are without a doubt hypocrites and selective purists.

The owners paid huge rewards for the best players, never caring about why they were so good. The money was flowing like never before and the League never did better in the history of the ame.

Only jealous shallow and petty people with an aura and pretentious of self importance would not think Bonds and the rest of the best players from that era should not be allowed in the Hall of Fame.

August 8th, 2012 12:00 am

3. lameduck

Barry Bonds is interesting. I’m curious to see how the vote comes out. For that I’m grateful that he sticks around.
    I love San Francisco, but don’t live there.

My opinion is that Barry was heavily influenced by people who were treated poorly and discriminated against. From that he built a wall. Only few are let inside the wall.

He is part of the last of the baby boomers. The “tweeners” who aren’t really gen x, and aren’t really baby boomers. Raised by people who dealt with segregation, educated that equality was a better way to go, and lived as a child the massive change that this country underwent.

He is interesting…And I don’t think he’ll ever give up or go away.

August 8th, 2012 9:29 am

4. Bill

He cheated. End of story. No way does he belong in the Hall of Fame.

Other roid users with HOF numbers have been denied. Bonds should be no different.

The HOF is for hard workers. Not for people who take shortcuts.

August 8th, 2012 12:39 pm

He is a ego maniac ultimate cheater, yes he cheated on baseball and his wife, can’t stand him.

August 8th, 2012 1:33 pm

I want to see him get in the HOF just to hear his acceptance speech.
    I mean…he may as well have a big red asterisk painted on his forehead while he’s speaking.
    He’ll know what everyone is thinking.
    Will he acknowledge the elephant in the room or choose to ignore it?
    Tell me you wouldn’t salivate at the opportunity to see that speech Lowell.
    I think everyone would.
    That said, unless it was Bonds that asked Bloom for the interview, you can’t really say that he refuses to go away.
    Maybe people should leave him alone.
    Now if you think he should hide under a rock…fine.
    I just hope the rock is big enough for alot of other cheaters to hide under too.
    *ALOHA*

August 8th, 2012 1:36 pm

7. Paul

Thank you Lowell for the link to the article. Barry confirms what we already know – that’s he’s a textbook narcissist and a disgrace. Love his candor, “he’s an expert (which he is)… I deserve it.” He embarassed the Giants and while he lined ownerships pockets, they certainly lined his. THEY OWE YOU NOTHING! Neither does baseball, they don’t owe you a job, or a statue.

Bill, great job going to the heart of it.

The argument that other guys did it, so it’s ok is total nonsense. Like Pete Rose, the hall can’t have him and keep any sense of credibility.

August 8th, 2012 1:58 pm

I don’t like the way you keep harping on Bonds. He was a gladiator for the biggest show on earth. MLB is about money and entertainment and many players of his era enhanced their performance with substances…that includes pitchers… . It is all kind of sad and tragic to me. He was the best hitter I have ever seen and he electrified the Bay area as he boosted Giant attendance filling up their cash register when the rest of the Giant team stunk. Now that he is no longer useful to the Giants or sportwriters they turn their backs on him. I like what Lameduck says. He grew up in an era where there were a lot of social changes and he learned to keep his guard up and not trust too many.

If Ty Cobb gets in the Hall of Fame ..so does Bonds because of his statistics. All the charges levied against him were never proven and never will be.

August 9th, 2012 2:39 am

9. Paul

Ty Cobb didn’t get more hits for being a racist. Ty Cobb didn’t hit more home runs for being an A-hole.

Why do the Barry Bonds apologists always go there? The Hall is full of bad guys, and spit ballers … that doesn’t excuse Bonds, Palmeiro and the rest of the Roiders. Their sins affected the outcome of games, and the historical statistics of the game. Their sins were egregious.

And the charges against Bonds were proven. He admitted to taking “the cream.” Why would his trainer sit in jail for all those months refusing to testify? If nothing happened, you testify because your conscience is clear. He knew he’d have to lie under oath to save Bonds, so he refused.

John stop drinking the cool-aid. He was a fraud, he cheated all of baseball and Giant fans.

Hank Aaron is the home run king.

August 9th, 2012 9:58 am

10. Bray

If a manager allows illegal things to happen in his place of employment by ‘his’ employees, it is the manager’s fault for allowing it to happen and he\she takes the brunt of the punishment. Anybody else notice the proliferation of steroids perfectly coincides with the cancelled season of 94-95?

Selig helped unseat Fay Vincent who was against steriods and actually ‘stated they were illegal’ in league wide memo in 91′. Selig not only allowed but some say ‘pushed’ for the use of steriods to ‘bring back baseball’ after the strike had put so many of us off form the game.

If the governing body of the ‘company’ you work for is turning a blind eye to the use of illegal substances, why should we hold only the ‘player’ accountable? Selig ALLOWED this to happen. The leader of the organization CHEATED as well, but if he allows it, is it still cheating?

We all know that Sosa-Bonds-McGwire helped bring back baseball to the forefront with supplements, but we shouldn’t only point the finger at them. This was a ‘league’ problem. Every person this blog, even the people who can’t stand Bonds KNOWS he was the best player of his generation along with Griffey. It way too convoluted to slog through.

IMO, put him in the hall, it’s the Hall of FAME, not Hall of guys sportwiters like best. The whole ‘not yet’ thing or he doesn’t deserve it now, maybe in 20 years thing is WAY off base and just screams lack of understanding of the WHOLE picture.

August 9th, 2012 11:11 am

Paul:
    It’ Kool-Aid.
    Just sayin’…
    *ALOHA*

August 9th, 2012 12:18 pm

12. Bob In Portland

I can’t say I care anymore.

August 9th, 2012 5:07 pm

13. Fritz Q "Pepe" Newman Jr, PhD

Barry Bonds was one of the greatest baseball players ever/ All he did was what everyone else was doing, including the pitchers who were trying to get him out.

August 10th, 2012 11:18 am

14. Dave T

The day you toss out all the players in the Hall that doctored the ball pitching or took ‘greenies’ (which are now also banned) then we can play the purist card. Until then, you go with the numbers, like it or not. Just sayin….

August 17th, 2012 1:11 am