The Giants have had two players suspended for drugs this season — Melky Cabrera and Guillermo Mota. Did I miss anyone else? That’s two on a 25-man roster. Which leads to a question: On a typical 25-man roster, how many players do you think are using performance-enhancing drugs? I assume some users do not get caught. I’m amazed any of them get caught.

Comments

Where’s Part 2???
    I think the stupid guys still chance it.
    Kinda like those idiots on those ‘World’s Dummest Criminals’ shows.
    That’s why over-inflated stats send up red flags these days.
    The Braves released him a couple of years ago because they thought he was too fat and unproductive.
    Then he has a great year in KC…but then they trade him to the Gmen for Sanchez???
    Something never seemed right about that trade.
    Watching Melky this year, fans must’ve thought Sabean was a genius for landing him.
    After all is said and done, maybe the truth is that the Royals’ brass knew something was askew and wanted to rid themselves of this guy before the you-know-what hit the fan.
    Something tells me they’re getting quite a giggle out of this out there in KC.
    *ALOHA*

August 15th, 2012 3:55 pm

KauaiRobert, I made a typo and fixed it. Now there are Parts I, II, and III.

August 15th, 2012 3:57 pm

3. Burt

Damon Bruce seemed to imply on his show today that this may be the reason for Lincecum’s demise this year. That he’s off the stuff.

August 15th, 2012 4:00 pm

4. lameduck

None. These are all baseball rule abiding citizens. The tests must obviously be flawed.

August 15th, 2012 4:23 pm

My guess would be about 1/4 to 1/3 of the team.

August 15th, 2012 4:51 pm

I wish Bruce was on KNBR or THEGAME. All my at home radios have dials…what a hassle to change from FM-AM and then find 1050…he’s between the Mariachi station and the Gospel station…If I hear Mid eastern music -I went too far to the right!

August 15th, 2012 4:59 pm

7. Ralph Bedwell

The undetectable steroid that was at the heart of the BALCO scandal was eventually detected only because a disgruntled coach swiped a sample and turned it in. It was a drug that was invented by a college-drop-out chemist in Ohio.

If one guy in one garage lab can come up with something like that, are we dumb enough to believe that there are no other undetectable PEDs out there? Of course there are. There is too much money to be made for them to NOT be invented and sold in the underground marketplace.

I would not be surprised if most of them turned out to be on one PED or another. Which is why I’m not nearly as into it as I was pre-McGwire/Sosa/Bonds.

August 15th, 2012 6:23 pm

8. Dr. Feelgood

Although it’s a loaded question, it’s one we’re too afraid to have answered.

August 15th, 2012 11:04 pm

Victor Conte is having fun these days getting attention saying that there’s new and improved PEDS that are undetectable if used in the right way. Melk Dud obviously slipped up during the All-Star break when he was tested. PEDs in baseball are like an injury that wont go away, the pain can be managed with the tsting and 50 game suspensions. And since a player is allowed 2 strikes, MLB has accepted its use in some degree to enhance baseball.

August 16th, 2012 8:17 am

10. Bray

Absolutely Chris, if MLB wanted these gone, they could stop it. It’s akin the so called ‘War on Drugs’ that Nancy Reagan started. It’s just a veil to show that ‘we are doing something’. When in fact, they are allowing them by their methods to stop it.

Everbody wants more $$$, and when most people get a sniff of the BIG money, they will take risks to get more of it. The counts for players, and owners.

August 16th, 2012 10:22 am