Here’s the third part of my Melkman Trilogy. When Cabrera was cheating this season, how did he feel about it? He was the All Star Game MVP. Fans in SF went nuts over him. The media lavished him with praise. He was a sports hero.

Did he feel like a fraud? In his place, I would have.

Did he feel guilty, lose sleep?

Did he tell himself all that mattered was his results on the field no matter how he got them — the end justified the means?

Did he tell himself everyone else cheated, so he was just one of the guys?

Did he not even ask himself about himself?

I wonder. What do you think?

Comments

1. lameduck

I bet he hoped that he wouldn’t get caught and was thinking just get to the next big payday. It’s worth the extra millions, then get clean after the contract.

August 15th, 2012 4:25 pm

I think they all think ” It doesn’t hurt anybody”Like a real crime”. The big contracts pretty much take away the guilt after that. Who doesn’t want to be a star? I bet it gets psychologically addicting also…Bonds -Canseco-Eirc Brynes,still cant get back a normal attitude. Why is Bonds cycling 140 miles a day?..cant get enough endorphins thats why. Canseco goes to Mexico…and I wouldn’t doubt Byrne is using something to beat Soccer dads at the triathlons.
    Cabrera will come back..and hope to get as much as the residual will allow…but like Manny,his production will drop..and other teams knowing it doesn’t come back in full will most likely only have a moderate interest in Cabrera. No talk of 15 mill a year for five now..NONE.

August 15th, 2012 4:44 pm

And maybe Beltran-Cespedes should be worried? or the kid in Pittsburg?…anybody much above average is suspicious.

August 15th, 2012 4:55 pm

I imagine he felt pretty good. Everyone loves to be loved. I am sure he is not an introspective guy like you and me or else he wouldn’t have done it to begin with. I am sure he liked his new found fame much better than what he experienced before PED’s.

I am told that new variations of PED’s start with horse racing and then move on to baseball and cycling until the chemistry on the detection side catches up. This will go on until baseball just decides to accept it.

August 15th, 2012 4:58 pm

Stan, I never heard that anything ever was proven about Eric Byrnes.

August 15th, 2012 5:04 pm

6. Matt

Nobody loses sleep anymore Lowell…everyone lies and cheats…look at the presidential campaign.

Everyone will lie and cheat to achieve the end result. Winning, grades, money…

This is America.

August 15th, 2012 5:04 pm

Matt, I lose sleep a lot.

August 15th, 2012 5:12 pm

This stuff is never any more complicated than “SHOW ME THE MONEY”…

and it works…

August 15th, 2012 5:15 pm

9. Matt

Lowell you and I are in the minority…I too lose sleep…not many people do anymore.

August 15th, 2012 5:47 pm

10. Steve

Melky thought of one thing: show me the money. This hurts a lot of people, especially the fans who have to pay inflated ticket and concession prices so teams can compensate the cheaters and their overinflated salaries. It hurts the players that don’t cheat. It hurts the organizations that put their faith in the players, although I wonder how many organizations know exactly what their players are doing and simply turn a blind eye. And are the Giants at the head of this table, what with all the players that have been caught? It makes a mockery of the entire sport. Is it any coincidence that last year’s NL MVP and this year’s All Star Game MVP are juicers? It hurts kids who think the only way to get ahead in sports is to juice. Damon Bruce had it exactly right today: one strike and you’re out forever.
    That’s the only way to clean up baseball and every other sport. But it will never happen.

August 15th, 2012 6:23 pm

11. Ralph Bedwell

I think he probably felt guilty, but was praying that he could get away with it long enough to sign a huge contract that would allow him to spend the rest of his life as a multimillionaire.

August 15th, 2012 6:25 pm

I lost sleep took a red eye couple of days ago, in south Fla and all I want to do is sleep to make up for it.

August 15th, 2012 6:36 pm

13. Steve

Lowell,

I have a question for you. Andrew Baggerly broke this story a few weeks ago, then apologized, not for reporting it but for jumping the gun without solid corroborating evidence. He was collectively ostracized by the Giants and supposedly unwelcome in the clubhouse. This must have made it almost impossible to do his job. Do the Giants brass, Melky and the players who shunned him now owe him an apology?

August 15th, 2012 6:59 pm

Steve, They certainly do owe Andy an apology. Melky especially owes Andy an apology. Melky cried bloody murder after Andy wrote his piece. Melky was a lying phony. Andy was not.

August 15th, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh,uh that..is ..true..Lowell. You..are..right. wink,wink!

August 15th, 2012 7:04 pm

As far as Baggs?,I think he got tired of being scooped on Huff and Lincecum by me. He realized to go by what he see’s and reality and add things up..Like I do.

August 15th, 2012 7:08 pm

I’m very good at Jeopardy too..

August 15th, 2012 7:08 pm

18. John from San Mateo

Assigning blame: Yes, Melky cheated, got caught, and will now pay the price. Curiously, the Giants come away clean. I’ve been a Giants fan for decades but am getting tired of Larry Baer and his slick marketing tactic (the Melky Men), pandering to Bonds to put butts in the seats. And Sabean’s propensity for plugging the line-up with tainted players. Giants: rethink your strategic plan.

August 15th, 2012 7:21 pm

19. Tony

I know this is a state of mind of Melky Cabrera question but, Does this news give the front office a bigger chance to possibly sign a bat this offseason that has more pop than Melky ever did or would’ve? Like a Michael Bourn/Josh Hamilton/Robinson Cano/Curtis Granderson type player?

August 15th, 2012 7:39 pm

20. lameduck

I do think that this offence is a crime that impacts me in t he form of higher ticket prices. It’s stealing. He gets a contract, stops juicing and my team is stuck ala Rowand and Huff. At first grade I have felt sorry for him, but now I’m angry. It must be the vodka.

August 15th, 2012 8:14 pm

21. lameduck

First glance…darn phone…

August 15th, 2012 8:26 pm

Regardless of how Melky feels, the Giants have dodged a bullet by not re-negotiating his contract.
    Same thing with Lincecum. The Giants have two Zitos now..the original Zito and now Lincecum the New Zito.
    Melky is gone. Lincecum may be also at the end of this year.
    Let’s start thinking about the feelings of Giant fans who spend a fortune keeping this team afloat.

August 15th, 2012 9:05 pm

23. John from San Mateo

Am sure Bill Neukom knew that an epiphany had not occurred with Melky. But Larry Baer is different — slick and a take no prisoners approach to the team. Serves him right as well as Sabean. 50 percent of suspensions this year – Giants.
    Giants- let’s give a try at transparency — allow commentators to speak the truth and stop muzzling commentators (like you did with Ted Robinson in the 90′s).

August 15th, 2012 9:40 pm

24. John from San Mateo

On another subject – Lowell, know that you and Garry Niver were good friends. Garry was a good guy and worked for me many years ago at The Times.

August 15th, 2012 9:48 pm

25. russell

I just want to know this – with the likes of Braun (please nobody defend this POS), and now Melky, testing positive for illegalities……does this prove that more top MLB players than we can ever know are drugged up/enhanced? Then, if that is the case, does that make writers like you Lowell (based on previously stated positions on Bonds, et al) believe that basically zero players since the late 80′s (Canseco era), early 90′s and most definitely late 90′s early 2000′s will never/should ever make the HOF??? If so, is the HOF line drawn at “okay to have never” played “negroes”, “latinos”, or for that matter even the best possible, fully scouted “white” players of our own country? Spit balls, corked bats, nail files, vasoline on hat lids, etc were all okay for the HOF, but modern day issues are off limits, right?? I have no skin in the game, I am seriously asking where the line is drawn from somebody I respect a great deal………..

August 15th, 2012 10:25 pm

John from San Mateo, Garry Niver was a lovely man. I spent a lot of time with him in Rocklin and on Niners road trips, with him and Ira Miller and Art Spander — and Rich Draper in a million venues.

August 15th, 2012 10:33 pm

russell, I’m going to bed now, have a flight in the morning, will be out of town several day. Can you remind me of this next week, and I’ll do the best I can to answer it? This question is a whopper.

August 15th, 2012 10:34 pm

28. Dr. Feelgood

Can you get an interview with him?

August 15th, 2012 11:05 pm

No chance of getting an interview with him. I read that he’s already gone.

August 16th, 2012 6:34 am

30. bks

Baseball is entertainment. If movie actors can get plastic surgery and orthodonture, and singers can use voice-enhancing audio technology, why can’t baseball players use performance-enhancing drugs?

The day that Kirk Gibson hit that homer off Dennis Eckersly he got five steroid injections and it’s still one of the signature video clips shown every October.

–bks

August 16th, 2012 7:08 am

Melky felt NO guilt at all. PED’s are part of baseball and most likely always will be. I’m listening to Sergio Romo on KNBR wright now, and Murph asked him how he feels about PED’s. He said hey, that players still need to hit, run the bases etc. which says to me that he accepts PED’s and that they’re not the main reason for Melky’s inflated numbers this year. Very naive on Sergio’s part.

August 16th, 2012 8:49 am

32. Westender

I’ve got three thoughts.
    1- Is anyone REALLY surprised that he failed a test the year he lit it up at the plate? Do people go from mediocre hitters to MVP candidates all that often?
    2- As others have said, the Gigantes caught a break that this came out now, not at the end of the season when they’re thinking about signing him for 13-15, maybe 16 mil.
    3- If he was a pro cyclist, he’d be sitting for two years. He’s lucky he picked baseball and will miss about one third of one season. And Mota would be banned for life for his second offense. If Melky were in the NFL, he’d miss one or two weeks worth of games. (And still be eligible for all kinds of postseason awards).

All sport has a long way to go to clean up their act, and as much as cycling has the worst reputation (And deservedly so) they are also doing far more than any other major sport in terms of testing and punishing.

I’m bummed, he was fun to watch. Another falen hero, but at least we won’t have to see the milkmen anymore…

August 16th, 2012 11:47 am

‘No chance of getting an interview with him. I read that he’s already gone.’
    Gone where?
    Back to Santo Domingo???
    *ALOHA*

August 16th, 2012 3:10 pm

34. mike

Did last years NL MVP give his award back? Did he get caught only to have the results over turned on a technicality?

Why not allow players to improve themselves? What is sacred about the game of baseball ( or any game for that matter)?

Baseball is not pure. That started with the “whites only” era.
    Rich teams have a distinct advantage over teams in smaller markets. The baseball has been juiced by baseball itself. Pitchers threw spitballs and were called colorful. The mound has been raised and lowered depending on what baseball was trying to achieve during those times. Players used speed in the 60′s and I’m sure other era’s. Cocaine was prevalent in the 80′s and I beleive in the 20′s when it was actually legal.
    Modern medicine has chnaged the game. Tommy John surgery has made some players almost bionic. There were steroids which can be traced back to the 60′s. Plyaers were always rewarded by owners, fans, and sponsors by their record setting performances.
    All of this purist stuff is nonsense and baseball and all of sports should move out of thje way of modern society. This ain’t the early 1900′s anymore. Players have mitts and helmets. Wow! At one time they did not.
    Let’s play ball and forget the advancements of society and let the improvements of the game just happen.

August 16th, 2012 3:36 pm

wow russell’s question is a whopper………it really outlines what a complicated game baseball has been since the early 1900′s all the way up to Melky’s suspension.

August 16th, 2012 9:42 pm

Well Lowell,The Royals are off the hook. No more “Worst trade in franchise history”.

August 18th, 2012 11:33 am