Major League Baseball is staring down the barrel of yet another dilemma caused by Melky Cabrera — the Juice Man. What happens if he wins the NL batting title? It could happen, believe me. And if it happens it would be unfortunate, as in very bad.

There is an easy solution. If Cabrera wins, commissioner Bud Selig must void his title and award it to the next guy on the list. Simple as that. Simple and necessary.

Comments

1. Francisco

Huh! I wonder if the Commissioner can do that to a certain HR Title, HR Record, and MVP Awards?

August 22nd, 2012 9:26 am

2. Frank in Minnesota

Good idea Lowell, but it sounds too easy so it will not get done…you know how it is with Uncle Bud…..

August 22nd, 2012 9:33 am

3. Dr Nick

I agree with the spirit of Frank’s point, I think Bud is just going to “let sleeping dogs lie”, pun intended. Bud has shown no desire to right other past wrongs, if proven after the fact. Thinking of the TV-replayed, confirmed missed call of Armando Galarraga’s almost perfect game.
    I realize that brushes against a somewhat different area of Bud’s disinterests (expansion of TV replays) but I think the mentality of “the system is good enough” will prevail.

August 22nd, 2012 10:15 am

It would set a precedent. Do you really think Bud Selig is going to do such a thing? It would lead to other decisions having to be made regarding known PED users with critical records. Obviously a sensitive topic for Barry Area fans. I don’t see Selig ever having the cahones to do such a thing.

August 22nd, 2012 10:29 am

Bartolo also fails the big test. I think I was the only one to say I believed Victor Conte. I think sometimes I’m the only one to know man’s true nature. And it isn’t be the good Samaritan that the projectors in school hammered into you it turned out.

August 22nd, 2012 10:33 am

6. Steve

Breaking news: Bartolo Colon just got busted – 50 games. Here’s an idea for a column: How many more juicers get caught before season’s end? If Pete Rose is banned from baseball for gambling with no evidence that he cheated, why are the juicers given multiple chances for proven cheating? What is real about this sport anymore?

August 22nd, 2012 10:37 am

If the NFL tested..there would be no one left to play the game. And the 49ers for sure would lose their starting QB and tight end,and best linemen. Right Jim?..and that older running back…

August 22nd, 2012 10:40 am

Suggesting that Bud Selig void the juice man’s BT is very reasonable ,but you assume that Bud Selig is more than a galvanic corpse.

August 22nd, 2012 12:00 pm

9. Lameduck

Going forward, a rule can be made, but it’s not fair to make up penalties after the deed is committed. Baretta’s theme song was don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. The time / penalty is already defined – 50 games.

I’ve heard others state that the penalty should be stronger and I agree.

I didn’t think that he had enough at bats to win the title. In my mind the easy solution would be to not give him the extra AB’s. I also think that is an unfair practice.

August 22nd, 2012 12:06 pm

What if the next guy on the list is juicing too?
    *ALOHA*

August 22nd, 2012 1:14 pm

11. Matt H.

Agreed. It’s very simple. Just make a rule that you can’t win an individual award in the same season that you get banned for illegal substances. I don’t see the problem.

August 22nd, 2012 2:27 pm

12. mbabco

I don’t see how he could win it this year — there’s a minimum number of at bats that he certainly won’t reach, missing 50 games.

August 22nd, 2012 9:30 pm

13. D Urrutia

Simple question, Lowell: where is all the outrage, from mostly white journalists, at Ryan Braun? You remember him, Lowell, the M.V.P.?

Baseball is juiced and has been for decades. The “cheaters” have more money and just shift the target every few years. Almost every scientist quoted for the last year who is an expert on the subject has said that sports is loaded with “cheaters”…and it makes sense when the money on offer is so outrageous.

But notice how the media picks its whipping boys very clearly. An ignorant kid from the Dominican is so much easier to savage than pretty boy Ryan (from Milwaukee no less!). Cabrera left school at 15, was a Yankee farmhand at 16, so are you really surprised he made bad choices now with perhaps 100 million dollars waiting at the end of the year? Was he going to dental school if this baseball thing didn’t quite work out? Please.

You want our respect, Lowell? Don’t pretend your area of expertise hasn’t been sullied for most of your career. Pick a sports: MLB, NFL, NBA, tennis, golf (some day that you’re free check out the change in Tiger’s muscle mass between Stanford and the first Masters victory a few years later). You’re in the mud, my friend, and the more money these guys make, the more tv time you get. Beats teaching high school French though, even with that Stanford PhD.

August 23rd, 2012 8:26 am

D Urrutia, I don’t teach high school French. For the record I teach creative writing at USF. Re: Braun — I believe he cheated and got off on a technicality about how the sample was delivered to the lab. FYI, your attitude about Cabrera is highly condescending. How do you know he’s “an ignorant kid.” Quite a stereotype there. He’s 28 years old. A kid?

August 23rd, 2012 9:01 am

15. Tommy CostaRica

Again they all need to give up this thing on cheating and roids. Because it is superseded by our god given right, our moral constitution that government or anybody else does not tell us what to do with our bodies. Sports should seek to control it and have athletes who use it do it under a doctor’s care.

August 23rd, 2012 9:13 am

16. D Urrutia

Cabrera is 28–with a 15-year-old’s education. And the general outrage in the media at his mistake and stupidity is laughable. Ryan Braun is currently hitting well above .300 with 30+ homers (again), and yet you say he got off on a “technicality”. Fair enough. Then attack the hypocrisy, if you’re really so outraged by Cabrera and the fraud of a steroid-filled batting champion. Don’t we already have a fraud for an M.V.P. Hell, by now we’ve had many such heroes.

Interesting that Roger Clemens is thinking of a comeback, isn’t it? No doubt he’ll be cheered in Houston. Just as Lance Armstrong is somehow a victim. Spot a pattern here, Lowell?

August 25th, 2012 12:59 am