Here is the opening to my Monday column about the A’s:

OAKLAND — If I were a genius, which I’m not, I’d tell you all the reasons the A’s are one heck of a ballclub. And be clear about this, the A’s are one heck of a ballclub.

I mean, some stuff is easy. They have top-notch starting pitching and when you have top-notch starting pitching, you’re a factor.

And although the A’s don’t exactly hit for a high average, they blast home runs all over the place — the Coliseum has become a launching pad. Except for the Yankees, who are off the chart in home runs, the A’s rank near the top of the American League.

Aside from Josh Reddick who may or may not be a slugger — too early to tell — the A’s have hitters with some power. Not power hitters. Hitters with power. Nine A’s hitters have 10 or more home runs. The opponent doesn’t know where the knockout punch is coming from.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

Incredible story. But what amazes me about this team as I watch them rack up win after win, knock out higher payroll teams constantly, slam homers to all fields from a multitude of anonymous players, is how they are being largely ignored by the local media. It’s like everyone is holding their collective breath for them to finally fail so we can praise them for a nice season. Nice try David but Goliath was just too strong. No one knows how to approach covering this team yet their record is roughly comparable to the Giants, whom everyone is waiting and expecting to make another World Series run.

Even I still expect them to fail even though they’ve been crushing everyone of late. Yet here we are in September and they are in great position. I don’t know how to feel about it yet, other than surprise and rising excitement.

September 3rd, 2012 9:36 am

..and then because Beane and Wolff are in charge that makes this a one thing season. How can anybody ever forget Wollf saying he wont pay to win a World Series?.

The A’s..they are a team..they aren’t Beane and Wolff and accountants or team tax lawyers. THAT’s why its great to see more fans,banging dingers (Dr. Suess is my literary influence) and klangers,doing Zomby dancing.
    Its great that Beane got more talent in return this year then he gave up..oh,losing Geo hurt..but not too much with Reddick ka-banging 30 HR’s or more by seasons end.
    I’m glad the A’s are winning. My Harvard MBA I don’t have,taught me that what always is the best marketing strategy for a sports team?..is too win.

September 3rd, 2012 9:49 am

3. Steve

The As have defied all logic. Lots of credit to Buck Showalter, but if Bob Melvin isn’t Manager of the Year, the fix is in. Melvin is actually managing (and being allowed to) contrary to all the stuff we’ve heard about Billy Beane’s edicts, e.g., bunting, stealing bases, sacrificing, etc. They didn’t miss a beat when Colon got suspended, so I believe Melvin when he says they focus only on the next game. The As play very exciting baseball, at bat and in the field. I give a lot of credit to Chili Davis; despite their relatively low averages, the hitters show a lot of patience and thus eventually get the pitch they can drive for home runs or extra base hits. Curt Young’s return as pitching coach has made a huge difference in the development of their young pitchers. Today is a rarity in that both the As and Giants are at home with start times exactly the same; it will be interesting to see how many the As draw – holiday, day game, Angels – a perfect confluence for a sell out. I hope they do. I would go, but am out of the area on vacation.

September 3rd, 2012 10:25 am

and yet they’re still just drawing 20,000 in the “great sports town” of Oakland, CA.

September 3rd, 2012 10:35 am

Pete Franklin used to say…”If you’re putting a winning product on the field and nobody comes to see them…load the trucks and move”

September 3rd, 2012 10:37 am

6. Brandon Conway

They are an incredibly fun team to watch. I’m having a hard time deciding who my favorite player on the team is. Right now it’s a multi-way tie between Chris Carter, Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Reddick and A.J. Griffin.

Here’s hoping they catch and pass the Rangers so they can avoid the 1-game Wild Card play in!

September 3rd, 2012 11:48 am

Guys,As the great Gary Radnich said with absolute purity in logic “You cant chase fans away for years,badmouth the city and stadium to where you have few season ticket holders,and expect 38,000 walk ups on game day of your first winning season in years”
    And that’s it..he nailed it. Think hard and understand.

September 3rd, 2012 12:19 pm

8. Capts

Well, time to move the Orioles then. Heck, the Giants should have bounced, they drew worse than Oakland pre-At&t. Give me a break. The team plays in a football stadium in a rough part of town, under ownership nobody likes. The A’s were expected to lose 100 games this year, if all you can comment on is low attendance (which is not new in the Bay Area) than I feel sorry for you. This team is amazing.

September 3rd, 2012 12:44 pm

9. Mike

What happened to the genius of the media forecasters? Lowell, you even refused to go see Moneyball. Now here comes the bandwaggoners. How much dissing of Beane have we been hearing? And Wolfe? He’s a bad guy too.

Living proof that the A’s need a new ball park is this season.
    A fun and exciting team with very lousy attendance.

Good luck A’s and here is to another Bay Bridge Word Series.
    A’s in seven because they have more power and better pitching.

September 3rd, 2012 3:08 pm

Come on Stan…Radnich is either a bum or a genius…which one is it?

Good to hear from you Capts!

September 3rd, 2012 8:21 pm

11. Capts

“I’ll bet you a Buffalo Nickel the tarp stays up no matter how deep they go in the playoffs!”
    They will, I agree. Wolff wants them up and would only have to take them down if the A’s make the WS, per MLB request. Just like MLB made Tampa when they got to the Series.

September 3rd, 2012 9:49 pm

When he has no stake in it..he then reverts to honest opinion. Otherwise, he follows KNBR crowd in step..Demo,advertisers,teams. The A’s don’t fit anyplace in there.

September 4th, 2012 12:29 pm

And,I want polite applause as I didn’t fall back on the blind squirrel,yada,yada…

September 4th, 2012 1:26 pm

14. Derek

Mike. Most people avoid going to A’s games, not because of the stadium, but because of the owners. Team managment is terrible. Greedy old men aka carpetbagger get nor deserve fan support.

People love the A’s (players and history) but hate the owners.

September 21st, 2012 12:18 am