I am late posting my Tuesday column to the Cohn Zohn blog — I fell asleep early last night before it went up on the Santa Rosa Press Democrat website. It’s about Cal’s head football coach, Jeff Tedford and it’s not complimentary and I feel bad about that. I like Jeff Tedford and I respect him in so many ways. I just don’t think he’s been a very good coach lately and that needs to change. To read my column on Jeff Tedford, please click here.

Comments

1. Steve

I had your opinion of Tedford three years ago. True he has a high graduation rate, but that probably has more to do with Cal’s academic standards than Tedford. His many terrible and conservative in-game decisions are Pop Warnerish. Better than his predecessor, but his success is tied exclusively to Aaron Rodgers. Too bad so many trees were sacrificed to appease Tedford’s inflated ego.

September 4th, 2012 10:08 am

2. Joe Sanchez

How about Kyle Boller?

Tedford has to go, the last 3 years have been disappointing. I am grateful to the guy for turning the ship around but a fresh start would be good for him and for Cal. A buyout with education money, though? 2.3 million dollars could buy a lot of lab equipment, pay for 20 professors’ salaries, or give nice scholarships to 100 undergrads…

September 4th, 2012 10:16 am

3. Steve

Forgot to add re graduation rates: has to do with Tedford’s inability to recruit next level talent.

September 4th, 2012 10:47 am

You say he’s a good guy and I take you at your word but the AD and the Chancellor decided he was going to put them on the map so they gave him a blank check…clearly he got fat and happy…

The Chronicle did a tour of his Blackhawk home the other day because he put it on the market…the man lives like a Saudi Prince…

Referencing your interview of a few years ago…Time to move on and bring in somebody who does feel he has something to prove…

September 4th, 2012 11:02 am

5. The Ghost

The Nevada game was an example of the all too familiar. Hyped expectations for Cal followed by the laying of a huge egg.

Tedford has achieved the most unlikely combination of employing an offense that is almost impossible for a quarterback to fully grasp in less than 2 years with the most unimaginative play calling known to West Coast Football.

I’m heading to Columbus on the 15th and pray that I don’t have to witness yet another example of a Cal team being totally unprepared for an Eastern Time Zone kickoff.

September 4th, 2012 12:31 pm

Yep,Ted and the team just go through the motions. He says no,like he told Lowell last year. But,at game..a player makes a bonehead play..is Ted there?..No,he says nothing. I guess when you feel your appointed coach for life,and you have a certain personality,you go blind and it doesn’t matter much.

September 4th, 2012 12:57 pm

wow,my last post? It stunk. I tried to hard to think of something…never works. I should have passed..sorry.

September 4th, 2012 1:10 pm

8. Jeff

I’ve been making the points in Mr. Cohn’s column for three years. Totally agree. Everyone points to the positive things Coach Tedford has done. While it’s fine to acknowledge these, his stats and results in the past several years are bad and getting worse. The extensions to his contract when he was floundering are shameful – the Athletic Dept deserves what is happening. The sad part is the students and alumni must endure three more years of poor performance because there is no money to buy out his contract. Good luck with those ESP sales.

September 4th, 2012 1:48 pm

9. DougA

Tedford has underachieved for quite some time. He is a QB coach without a QB. He lucked into seeing Rodgers (he was scouting the TE) and that early find seemed to buy him time up until just about now.

His teams are not prepared to play and win, and he lost recruits because he could

September 4th, 2012 3:25 pm

10. DougA

(accidentally hit the enter key)

he lost recruits because he couldn’t text to keep in touch with him when Cal’s main recruiter left for UW.

Time has passed Tedford by. He is a nice guy, but I doubt he is nice enough to leave without getting paid through 2014. Those empty yellow ESP seats are going to stay empty for awhile.

September 4th, 2012 4:00 pm