Several readers have pointed out my misunderstanding of the fine details of Jeff Tedford’s contract. I’m an idiot at this stuff and that’s why I’m not a lawyer. From what I understand — and I still could be wrong — he is employed through 2015. The university pays him $225,000 per year and the bulk of his $2.3 million comes from outside sources including donors and according to one person who wrote to me, Nike. I went online and found Tedford’s contract. He is a public employee and his contract is a matter of public record. To read it click here. Could someone explain it to me?

Comments

It would help if you posted the contract..now,I cant see anything that needs Adobe reader. Eats up too much PC space.
    At least from what you said..they aren’t on the hook for the big money IF Tedford is relived of his duties..sorta?

September 4th, 2012 5:47 pm

Stan, Maybe someone else can post it. I tried but clearly don’t know how.

September 4th, 2012 5:50 pm

3. russell

I can see the link you posted just fine. I made it about 3 pages into the 22 of the contract, but one of the first things I notice is that he earns a 1.575mil “talent fee” annually, in addition to the “not less than 225k….he has bonuses for bowl games, bcs games, etc. He is doing quite alright I would say.

September 4th, 2012 6:14 pm

4. Brady

What I’m reading from this is that his base salary is $225,000 a year.

He received a $1M bonus for signing the contract as such.
    He received a $1M bonus for staying employed through his first year.
    He received a $1.5M bonus for staying employed through the 2011 season.
    He will receive another $1M bonus for staying employed through 2013.
    He will receive a total of $500K in bonuses for remaining head coach through the new stadium.

And a whole heckuva lot of other incentives and benefits.

yowzers.

September 4th, 2012 6:28 pm

5. htwaits

Lowell, there is nothing wrong with your link. The contract has already paid out two separate bonus payments of $1,000,000 and $1,500,000. The second of which was due in 2012 when Cal finished there 2011 season. There will be another bonus due at the end of the 2013 season.

I didn’t read any more, but superficially that looks like the whole deal.

On another topic, it’s hard to have a meaningful dialog when posts are delayed or in some cases just disappear. Your posts seem to suffer the most from delay, and the 49er Insider posts seem to disappear. It’s very hard to have a timely back and forth, or even an agreement.

Cheers

September 4th, 2012 8:12 pm

6. mike

All in all, Tedford really has had a sweet deal at Cal. Notice all of the bonuses he received before and after relating to the construction of the new facilities, too.

No wonder some of the faculty and staff at Cal are clamoring about the dollars spent on athletics.

September 4th, 2012 9:07 pm

7. Steve

Brady nailed it, as did some others. Cal is responsible for his entire salary; nowhere is there mention of boosters or outside sources contributing anything toward it. It’s incredible how mediocrity gets rewarded in sports.

September 4th, 2012 10:12 pm

8. mbabco

I think I read somewhere that Tedford is the highest paid employee at U.C. Berkeley. How about those priorities!

September 4th, 2012 11:30 pm

9. Brady

Also, his deal comes with TWO company cars.

Not sure why this feels pertinent, but something about a coach being given two cars feels like it sets an excessive precedent.

September 5th, 2012 6:41 am

Who cares about how overpaid Tedford is, everybody is in pro sports…….wups, college sports is played by amateurs, even more reason why Tedford should not be making the amount of money he is.

The main reason Tedford shoulduv been let go years ago was when is a presser he announced that if Cal didn’t build him a new gym that he was gonna be like LeBron and take his “talents” elsewhere………this guy is so full of himself to put himslef above the team………get lost already Tedford

September 5th, 2012 11:27 am

11. Dave T

Have not read it, but I look at it this way. Are Football coaches in the NCAA ranks highly paid? Yes. Should they be? Debateable, but the fact remains that Football programs generate a lot, and I mean a lot of monies for the College or University. TV Deals (See Notre Dame), Bowl Deals (See any BCS conference) and all the revenue generated from licensing sales (see all the jerseys sold with school colors and logos etc). Much of these monies are used across the school for students, reaching beyond athletics, far beyond. So the monies paid to have a “name” coach tend to be far outweighed by the monies generated by having a successful and high profile program. Why do you think that penalties from the NCAA hurt schools so much (see USC and Penn State for example) to the bottom line? Is it right? We can debate that if we like, but those are the meat and potatoes facts of the matter.

September 5th, 2012 12:08 pm

My wisdom is..its not overpaid if you win and fill the stadium. Its overpaid if you lose and that stadium ain’t rock’in no mo.
    And the latter is on the horizon. I think Jeff is in constant contact with his planners,hence the home for sale..The time to live (super) large is over..

September 5th, 2012 12:46 pm

13. Joey Blair

WOW! This contract is unreal! 2 cars and a membership at Blackhawk seem a little trivial when we are talking about this kind of money.
    Just a note, I read it all… All of this money is paid by CAL, and it is not anywhere close to 225k. It seems 225k is “coaching stipend” (if you will..), the bulk of the contract is “talent fees” again paid by CAL. In fact, the contract explicitally expresses that he can not be paid by companies like Nike, which refutes what “somebody” told you Lowell.
    Contracts such as shoes, apparell, and the such, must be directly negotiated to the university. So, I suppose, you could argue that if Nike is paying CAL 1.5 mil to wear there gear, then indirectly they are paying for him…..
    interesting stuff, been in athletics my whole life and never have seen one of these contracts. Thanks for the link, LC

September 5th, 2012 10:45 pm

14. Albert Park

If outside sources such as Nike are paying him too, this would not be part of his coaches contract, no? So Jeff is probably making plenty on the side as well.

September 5th, 2012 11:04 pm