Here is the opening to my Sunday column comparing Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith:

There is good reason to believe the 49ers will win today, will defeat the formidable Green Bay Packers in the Packers’ place, Lambeau Field.

San Francisco’s defense is the best around and could prove too much even for quarterback Aaron Rodgers, a specialist at humiliating great defenses. Rodgers, whom we had the pleasure to watch at Cal, will face the highest degree of difficulty in a few hours. And it is possible, indeed likely, the Packers’ offensive line cannot withstand Justin Smith and Aldon Smith — if Aldon Smith is healthy.

So, yes, I say the Niners win a close game, a surprisingly low-scoring game.

But there is something else. This game features two notable quarterbacks — notable for different reasons — going head to head. That would be Rodgers and Alex Smith. Both came out in 2005, Smith being the first player taken in the draft, Rodgers going low, for him, at No. 24.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

1. Norm

Low

September 8th, 2012 11:04 pm

The forty niners had the best defense in football last year. So before we annoint them the best in the NFL this year they have to show us. The Packers are hungry to prove something after their sudden exit in last years playoffs so their motiviation will be high to win. I say the difference in the game will come down to who has the best quarterback. Reading your column Lowell, made sense except for your conclusion. Packers win .

September 9th, 2012 12:07 am

3. JRS

What a joke. Your defense needs to play competent offenses throughout the year to be considered the best. It isn’t hard to have stellar defensive numbers when you play St. Louis, Seattle, and Arizona 6 times a year.

September 9th, 2012 12:29 am

It is hard to argue with your description of Smith and Rodgers. No question that Rodgers is very good and Smith is adequate. But it is also hard to ignore that Smith took his team further in the playoffs last year than Rodgers did. And Eli, another not so elite quarterback, took his team even further. But yes, Rodgers is very good.

September 9th, 2012 8:03 am

Great column Lowell, and this is the reason why I will read anything from you concerning the Niners and the Giants. Brilliant as the English would say. I could not agree more. Smith reminds me of a guy, that when he walk accross the street, he will look both ways 6 times.

September 9th, 2012 9:42 am

6. NeverWrong

I agree with Dennis @ 8:03 a.m. that Rodgers is very good. I’d also like to go out on a limb and say I think Shakespeare was one of the best writers of his time.

September 9th, 2012 10:52 am

I was with you on the 49ers…until the Williams start. I cant help it..I think he’s got it too far into his head to just carry on. I could be wrong..but..
    And Luck,isn’t making the impact of Cam Newton or RG2(3?)..he looks good but in no way dominant.

September 9th, 2012 11:37 am

8. mike

Stan – No QB solely can make a franchise; however, he definitely can break a franchise. Luck, despite how good he may be or how great he may become, also is reliant on talent around him.

September 9th, 2012 12:27 pm