I just want to point something out. The 49ers announced their inactives for today’s game and AJ Jenkins is one of them. I mean, he was the team’s first-round draft pick and he’s inactive the second game. I find that peculiar. I know readers get sore at me when I question anything Niner. But come on. Does Jenkins qualify as one of Trent Baalke’s best draft picks, a guy that isn’t ready to help right now?

Comments

1. D Urrutia

You really do try too hard, Lowell. He’s inactive (as James was inactive last week) because they are loaded at wide receiver and running back; it’s called depth. Jenkins was not a top 5 or even top 10 pick, and in the Walsh era (with fewer teams, etc.) he would have been a high 2nd round choice.

That sounds about right. Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham are excellent players (Crabtree looked especially good against Green Bay) and Ted Ginn was a top 10 pick. A little patience, Lowell. Jenkins did get separation in those last two pre-season games. He’ll be fine.

September 16th, 2012 4:43 pm

seems to be a trend these days to have young players inactive for games during the season so I’m not surprised Santa Clara put Jenkins on that list for the game vs. the Lions. The Raiders had QB Terrell Pryor inactive for todays Miami game…….Pryor coulduv put up more yards than Palmer, McFadden and the WR’s combined all by himself the way the Raiders are going.

September 16th, 2012 4:48 pm

3. Cindy

He looked really good in the last preseason game. I read that the 49ers needed to add Tolzien to the active roster today because he is the backup holder and Andy Lee has a bad thumb. So that probably factored into sitting Jenkins this week.

September 16th, 2012 4:55 pm

4. RC

Lowell,

C’mon, look who is in front of him, he has to earn the spot, he hasn’t! You’re hinting that he is a bust, you need to give it more time. Also, not like he was a top ten pick, he needs time to develop, they have that time to give, I’m pretty sure they knew this going in.

September 16th, 2012 4:58 pm

5. Brady

This is a team that is above-average at every position. They are not drafting for players to help them in week 2. Jenkins is drafted to get big minutes once Moss leaves.

The Niners are good enough that they didn’t need to get a rookie to play a lot. So they can focus on the future. You’re reading way too far into it.

September 16th, 2012 5:29 pm

6. Lo Sbandato

As many previous posters have pointed out, there could be many reasons for him to be inactive. I don’t care how high they’re drafted, not every rookie is ready, and the depth chart is, well, deep. They’re not cutting him (unlike you, who seems to believe being inactive in week 2 means they’ve given up on him).

September 16th, 2012 7:15 pm

7. Michael S.

Most agree that the Niners needed a WR with their first rounder. The best regarded WRs available when the Niners drafted were Reuben Randle, Stephen Hill and Alshon Jeffery. It’s not like those guys are setting the world on fire either, and I definitely can’t see any of them breaking the Niners’ top 4 as it stands now.

September 16th, 2012 9:03 pm

8. Streetglide

Lowell-san, Blind Tom gives you a big, wet Zzzzz… on this one. Jeez, had a Plymouth Zin with dinner must have been 17 percent. Huge alcohol, pretty much squashed the fruit…. burp!~ -L-

September 16th, 2012 9:31 pm

Streetglide, If the Zzzzz is a sound of disapproval I’m sure I deserve it. I’d love a Plymouth zin. I’m not allowed to drink while I write. I may open a zin when Grant and I get home tonight. I’ll drink a glass to you, no Zzzzz included.

September 16th, 2012 9:59 pm

Lowell, I agree with you. I am not saying he is a bust but not the greatest first round pick in Baalke’s time. Baalke is entitled to a mistake, but I am not saying this is it just yet. Still early, but it does have potential written all over it. Time will tell.

September 16th, 2012 10:32 pm

11. lameduck

The Forty Niners look really good and they are stacked at WR and RB. Ginn Jr. is still “out” as well as Jacobs and James. I use the quotes because NFL injury reports never seem to be that truthful.

September 17th, 2012 11:39 am