On the face of it, Melky Cabrera made a selfless act in refusing to be considered for the NL batting crown. Good for him. But part of me is skeptical. Did he do that so the Giants will take him back when he becomes eligible in the postseason? What do you think?

Comments

I think there is NO altruism. Read about George Price and you see that Melky is making a decision best for him in the long run.Even if he didn’t want to be selfish..its impossible for him to not be so.
    So much for “free will”..nothings free.

September 21st, 2012 6:03 pm

2. Peter

I’m not as inquiring as you. On the face of it, good move.

September 21st, 2012 6:41 pm

As the old saying goes, ‘money talks and ………. walks’. You get money for playing you get ………. for crowns. You be the judge.

September 21st, 2012 7:22 pm

4. Hector

I believe it has more to do with getting a contract offer from a team for 2013. Doubt the Giants would add him to the roster this year, it would be a bad look for the organization.

September 21st, 2012 7:38 pm

5. Frank in Minnesota

He wasn’t the stand up guy when he left the ball club without saying a word to his team mates….i think he is trying to be that stand up guy now by showing some humility, and perhaps return to the club, or some other…is it real? I don’t know, but I usually give people the benefit of the doubt…he has some time to think about this…and i am sure he wants to make a good living,so….

September 21st, 2012 9:21 pm

6. mendozaline

Here is a link to an interesting discussion about what happened today regarding the NL batting title:

I never realized that there was a rule that added “hitless at bats” to a player’s batting average if he didn’t have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title.

Did any of you out there know about the hitless at bats that
    could be added.

Melky’s refusal to take the hitless at bats is like Gov. Romney’s refusal to take his full charitable contribution on his 2011 Tax Return.

September 21st, 2012 11:21 pm

I don’t want him back…maybe the Kansas City Royals could use a 250 hitter now that he is off the juice.

September 22nd, 2012 2:47 am

8. Tommy CostaRica

I think he’s thinking about his mate Buster who looks like he’s going to win it now. That would be so sad, weird, what ever if Milkey would win it and Buster was to be second.

September 22nd, 2012 6:56 am

9. Tommy CostaRica

I think he’s thinking about his mate Buster who looks like he’s going to win it now. It would be an insult if Milkey would trump Buster on the batting title. We don’t know the extent of his roiding, once he’s done his time, forgive and forget. It will be a great story for the Giants to take him back for the playoffs, I’ll bet he’ll be hot as a pistol! And finally, to throw a little STANISM out there, I called it, Scutaro turned out to be a better signing than all those high priced dudes the Dogers bought!!!!!!!!!!

September 22nd, 2012 7:05 am

10. Ben

MAYBE… and this is assuming he didn’t do this as an angle to get back on the field in the NLCS, which is a big assumption… he saw Posey’s AVG climbing, and thought to himself “What if Buster ends up coming in second to me? Fans would hate me then.”

On an unrelated note, I have an idea for a blog post: “Trivial things in professional sports that shouldn’t bother me, but do.”

I’ll go first: Any time, especially in football, when a team has a player with a “you” sound in their last name, and the fans in the stadium all make that sound when he makes a play. Like “Cruuuuuuuuuz” with NYG fans. So annoying.

September 22nd, 2012 8:14 am

11. Steve

An ex-girl friend’s father had a saying about certain people he didn’t trust: “100 words, 99 lies.” The fake website – case closed.

September 22nd, 2012 9:42 am

I think your all a bit naive. There is a good chance Melky isn’t the only one on the Giants who uses or has used. With that in mind,you see that apologizing to guys you KNOW just weren’t caught and are no different in morals than you…well, why should Melky take ALL the blame?
    There are many levels to this situation..and many criss cross.

September 22nd, 2012 10:56 am

It’s gotten to the point that so many of these players live in glass houses that very few of them are in a position to throw stones…nobody cares anymore…

Melky and the batting title?

Who cares?

Bonds is still above Aaron in the record books and McGuire is still above Maris…

None of this stuff actually matters anymore…

September 22nd, 2012 11:19 am

14. lameduck

I’m with Tommy.

September 22nd, 2012 11:30 am

15. Pablo

Tommy,

I wouldn’t encourage Stan. It’s tough to stomach his self-promotion as it is.

***************************

I dropped by to be the first to celebrate the SF Giants winning the Western Division!!!!!

Ya ay! Can’t wait for the playoffs!!!

Goooooooooooo Giants!

Lowell, your comments??

September 22nd, 2012 9:35 pm

Pablo, I just sent in my column to the PD. As soon as they post it, I will link it to the blog.

September 22nd, 2012 9:53 pm

Pablo,let me explain Stanbonics,a revolutionary language..no more still,steal,steel, as the primitive English language’s tyranny forces us to use. Stanbonics will change the way we speak.
    PM me for a pamphlet.

September 23rd, 2012 8:44 am

Send me your name and address, Pablo. No salesman will call (THAT’S a lie!,I get your name and number and my salesman will call and knock ALL day long until you breakdown and donate money!) Classes are opening soon. Stanbonics..the modern way to write.

September 23rd, 2012 10:13 am

19. Lo Sbandato

There’s nothing revolutionary about “Stanbonics”.

No grasp of the rules of punctuation, aggressive misuse of ellipses, questionable spelling, the murky ‘logic’, taking isolated facts out of context to “prove” your case (if said case can be discerned), all this could be found in the average high school English class, and that is is in no way funny. It is only bleakly pathetic.

September 23rd, 2012 12:42 pm

Just for your edification..I did answer..Lowell felt it was too controversial I guess. My star pupil is Dan Quayle btw.

September 23rd, 2012 2:10 pm

Lol,whats funny Lo is you look to sports blogs for Shakespeare.

I bet, you wear those turtle-shell thick rim glasses and your dad or gampa is the guy who railed against rock’ n roll because of the beat,the beat,the beat!

You and Tipper are looking for hidden messages in my posts too?

September 24th, 2012 12:14 pm

“Aggressive misuse of ellipses”
    1. I once shot man for doing that..
    2. I will always carry that now,Lo…HAPPY?!
    3.The roids cause that..
    4.That’s what the ticket said.
    and….If you understood it..good enough!

September 25th, 2012 8:59 am