I don’t know what to make of Randy Moss. I don’t know if he can play or if he can’t play. The Niners must have thought he could play otherwise they would not have signed him, but he does not seem to play a lot. After the Niners lost to the Vikings, someone asked Moss if he’s happy with his playing time. “Next question,” was his response. Please tell me what he meant by next question. I do not know. Either he really wanted the next question or he was ducking something. Help me here. To read an article about the next question, please click here.

Comments

1. Zak

He said that prior to this game, he’s not going to say anything until the media extracts that little nugget and runs away with it until Moss is off the team… My problem is with his play ON the field. WTF was he doing creating “his own” routes? It seems every pass thrown to him incomplete it was clear he wasn’t in the spot Smith though he’d be: he threw a corner back corner enzone fade and Moss stopped at the goaline. The balls he threw high it looked like he wanted Moss to go deeper, and even if that wasn’t the design Smith was getting hit at the time and Moss should’ve been able to see that. The left side post play Moss made a different cut on the blitz read than Smith threw as ED explained it- how does a receiver make a different blitz read than the QB if they are communicating at the line with even hand signals?

September 23rd, 2012 9:09 pm

2. Capts

The Raiders win a thriller and we get this? No offense Lowell, but it’s not like fans in the Bay don’t know what kind of guy Moss is. We saw his tired act once before.

September 23rd, 2012 9:55 pm

3. michael

I think it’s pretty self-explanatory. He’s not happy with his playing time, but unwilling to throw the coach/team under the bus.. yet. Keep prodding him (the media, not you specifically Lowell) though. Maybe you guys can create a problem before it’s all said and done.

September 23rd, 2012 10:22 pm

Capts, Be patient. I wrote a column on the Raiders, was at the game. It is 10:36 and it has not yet been posted on the PD website. I’m going to sleep will post it in the morning.

September 23rd, 2012 10:36 pm

Moss looks skittish to me. He clearly wants no contact at all. He may still have his speed which is nice. But he wants nothing to do with catching the ball in traffic or taking any punishment for efforts at all. I remain skeptical about his long term effects on this team’s offense.

September 23rd, 2012 11:04 pm

Next question means he is pissed but keeping his mouth shut to stay out of trouble.
    Interesting observation by Zak that Alex and Randy were not on the same page on the pass routes.

The Niners were outplayed and outcoached . Their first mission was to stop the run, but there were a lot of defenders on their backs after being run over by Viking frieght- train backs and tight ends,

September 24th, 2012 1:53 am

7. John Sousa

MOSS 18

September 24th, 2012 5:27 am

8. lflong9erfn

You know exactly why he won’t answer the question. The sole purpose of the question is to create a Moss/Harbaugh controversy. I’m sure if he has a problem he will talk to the coach first and not the media. He knows that there are many in the media just looking to write the ” Moss is unhappy ” story.

September 24th, 2012 7:13 am

How about I saw a pass that could have been a TD,but the announcers called it “high” and Smiths fault,BUT,if you asked me..IF Moss had jumped..left his feet,he could have caught it. Instead,it was a flash back to his Oakland year. And,no doubt that’s why Harbaugh gave him the hook after that. I don’t think Randy was even running hard for the ball.
    Moss,will never get it..too much money for that ego to ever be deflated.

September 24th, 2012 7:59 am

10. Brady

I think it’s his way of saying “there’s not politically correct answer here so I’m not going to get baited into saying something that can be misconstrued by the media.”

I truly believe that Moss is fine with his role and his playing time. But he loves football and he’s an all-time great, playing 25% of the snaps. How’s he supposed to answer the question “are you happy with your playing time?” by saying “oh yes, I’m psyched to be playing 1 out of every 4 snaps!”?

Obviously he wishes he got more snaps. Every player who ever comes off the field wishes that. But there’s no way to say that you want to play more, but are fine with the coaches decisions without it being up for misinterpretation, especially if you have the history that Moss has.

September 24th, 2012 8:19 am

11. mike

Frankly, Moss is to blame for the corner route where the ball sailed over his head. Everybody knows that the sprint spot for a corner route in the end zone is 5 yards inside the BACK pylon, not cutting off the route to the front pylon because you give the QB no place to put the ball away from the defender. Moss cut off the route and AS was throwing to the spot where he expected Moss to be. Moss actually had the defender beat and if he had gone to the back pylon, the only question would have been if he could have made the catch.

What else is new in Randyland.

The HOOK route that was thown over his head on the right side of the formation looked like Randy just ran the route to where he was not challenged or did not have to drive off the DB any further. Unfortunately, his comfort zone for running the route in an uncontested fashion did not mesh with where AS expected him to be.

September 24th, 2012 10:15 am

12. russell

Let me tell you guys how he should answer the question and avoid the exact issue his attitude creates. It is really very simple:
    Reporter: Hey Randy, are you happy with your playing time?
    Randy: I am a competitor, I want to be on the field for every play. I know that won’t always be the case, but when coach calls my number I go out on the field. Next question.

September 24th, 2012 10:43 am

13. Bray

Good post Mike, I agree fully and had to argue that fact Monday morning with the masses who only watch football without true understanding of what is expected from each position, which is most fans sadly.

September 25th, 2012 10:29 am