So, Grant and I fly out early Friday morning for New York. That means I’m taking my son to where I grew up, although we won’t go to Brooklyn on this trip. On Friday night we’re meeting my friend Stuie, a retired New York City high school English teacher — we met when we were nine — and we’re going to Sammy’s Noodle House on 6th Avenue, kind of a tradition. Saturday, I want to take Grant to a Broadway play and then we’ll eat somewhere fabulous Saturday night. Sunday we rent a car and drive to the game. I expect the Niners to murder the Jets. And Saturday night we meet my cousin Alison, a dean at Rutgers, for dinner in Manhattan. Her dad, my uncle Bob, was a staff writer for Superman comics. He didn’t invent Superman, but he wrote lots of episodes or whatever you call the stories in a comic book. We fly home Monday.

Comments

1. Upinc44

Enjoy your trip Lowell!! It is great in this life to have life long connections. I know you will not be in Brooklyn on this trip but what do you know about Peter Lugers’?

September 25th, 2012 2:37 pm

Upinc44, I know about Peter Luger’s but never went there. I think it’s in Williamsburg, Brooklyn where my mom grew up.

September 25th, 2012 2:53 pm

Have a great time and root for a game that is not decided by the refs.

September 25th, 2012 3:20 pm

4. Upinc44

I heard that it has been ranked #1 for steaks in NY for 28 years in a row. Been around since 1887. One other Brooklyn question. Is Brooklyn anything like Oakland? Somebody told me these two cities are similar. Your thoughts?

September 25th, 2012 4:18 pm

5. Arizona Niner Fan

Safe Travels

September 25th, 2012 6:26 pm

Upinc44, Oakland and Brooklyn are similar in some ways. Both are the other city across a body of water; Brooklyn to Manhattan, Oakland to SF. Brooklyn is very large in population and has been gentrified. I find it ugly. I love Oakland — I live in the hills and it is heaven.

September 25th, 2012 7:42 pm

7. Upinc44

Thanks Lowell for your snapshot of Brooklyn. One day I would like to go there. Maybe take in a Nets game at the Barclay Center.Brooklyn must be excited about having pro sports back after 55 years. I heard that this is the same location the Dodgers wanted to move to from Ebbets Field. When they were turned down they moved to LA.

I understand that there is a dynamite subway museum in Brooklyn. Since I like a good steak I will check Peter Lugers’ out. If you have any other ideas let me know.

September 25th, 2012 10:44 pm

What’s wrong with a little gentrification?
    I mean…I’m all for preserving neighborhoods and saving old buildings, but the old Brooklyn as shown on T.V., for us that have never visited there, looked pretty runned-down.
    Just asking…
    *ALOHA*

September 26th, 2012 11:21 am

9. Brian in Oakland

Peter Luger is unbelievable. One of the best meals you can have. The steaks are reason enough, but the neighborhood and the grizzly career waiter — not to mention the side of thick cut bacon — add a whole layer of old-school NYC charm.

September 26th, 2012 12:38 pm

10. Upinc44

Thanks Brian for the info on Peter Luger.

September 26th, 2012 6:16 pm

11. Streetglide

“…murder the Jets.” Hey, your son put the kybosh on the Niners last week with that kind of talk so cool your, uh, Jets. And a noodle house on Sabbath? In New York? Oy vey…

September 27th, 2012 1:52 pm

12. Streetglide

Brooklyn. Nothing that a sand blaster and a good mopping couldn’t fix up…

September 27th, 2012 2:03 pm

But Streetglide, I’m not a fan so when I write things like murder the Jets I don’t consider whether it will influence the fates or whatever you are getting at. Fair enough?

September 27th, 2012 2:25 pm

14. JohnLopresti

One of the mysteries in one boy’s life was whatever the Batboy television show was supposed to do, to get kids to stay tuned for the Dodgers, I suppose.

The local paper here in CA claimed the 49ers go play the Jets in Ohio. I suppose that could be, if the city government in Newark agreed to pave from the Meadowlands to Cincinatti! It could be a toll road! Now, that’s East Coast perspective. all that toll money and one unlimited budget!

September 27th, 2012 3:03 pm

15. Streetglide

You obviously don’t know your psychic powers Lowell-san. That time in ’89? You deny that? And then again in 1992? How did you manage to do that one? I won’t even mention the game against Atlanta in … what year was that? Guy’s shoe came off, squirrel ran off with it under the stands, Niners won on a drop kick?
    Sure, pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. I won’t even bring up that time, Vinnie the Mooch back in 10th Grade? He “fell” out of Mrs. Viterello’s classroom window by “accident?” You were in the Principal’s office when it happened but we all knew. Please…
    Cue to Discovery Channel…

September 27th, 2012 4:52 pm

Streetglide, I think I love you.

September 27th, 2012 7:21 pm

Ummmmm…(tap, tap,tap)…is this thing on???
    *ALOHA*