Here is the opening to my column from Game 2 of the Giants division series:

SAN FRANCISCO — Close the curtains to block out the harsh sun. Hang black sheets from the walls and buy the funeral meats for the guests who’ll view the corpse. And choose the right music. Yes, choose a dirge. The Giants are dead.

Oh, they are not dead yet, even though the Reds beat them 9-0, taking the first two games of the Division Series, even though their postgame clubhouse was a morgue, the only sound someone silently cleaning cleats over a garbage can. Let’s allow things to take their natural and inevitable course. The Giants are not quite dead. They are about to be dead.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

I’m not a good baseball man but Giant hitters appear to me to be anxious and flat out baffled.

Pence in particular looks like he’s chugging espresso shots in the on deck circle.

All this while facing a jouneyman junk baller?

Could a better baseball mind explain this to me please?

October 8th, 2012 9:23 am

2. lameduck

Admittedly, the boys didn’t have the Petaluma magic last night. I was really hoping for a bottom of the ninth score which would have set them up to start a roll. I still believe they can do win this series. I believe they will hit in Cincinnati. Every game will be a must win for them which I think will make them play better.

I’m looking for Bochy to start doing those most interesting man in the world commercials. He starts series, 0-2, only to come back and win the next 3. He is the most interesting manager in the world ;).

October 8th, 2012 10:09 am

3. Steve

Insert Zito in place of Arroyo – same pitcher. That’s why I posted my rotation as Cain, Zito, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, with Lincecum in the bullpen if not the de facto closer. However you can’t win if you don’t hit. Not sure why Bochy didn’t rest Pagan and Scutaro in the last meaningless week of the season – both look tired, a half step slow in the field and noticeably slower bat speed. Pence is a bust – a bit better stick but a much worse fielder than Nate – and a lot more expensive. Sandoval is just plain fat. I’d trade him while he still has some value and before he eats himself out of baseball. I commented a few posts ago about myopic Giant’s fans; the comments to your column in the PD are a perfect example. Sure baseball is a funny game and anything can happen, but the Giants look overmatched in almost every phase of the game, Krukow notwithstanding. And next year make Lincecum your 20 million dollar closer – he looked that good out of the bullpen. Better gamble than paying Wilson 8-10 million after two Tommy Johns.

October 8th, 2012 10:14 am

You don’t think a sweep in Cincy is going to happen? WHAT kind of Giant fanatical supporter are you Mr.Cohn?

October 8th, 2012 11:51 am

I smell a COMEBACK!!!
    YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW! GO GIANTS!!!!!!
    Just kidding…they’re done.
    *ALOHA*

October 8th, 2012 11:58 am

One thing…the Giant hitting? It’s regressed back to “Giant see’s ball,Giant swings at ball” The Reds have been working the count…a concept not clear to SF.

October 8th, 2012 4:41 pm

7. Peter

Blind faith; Giants win three in Cincinnati. How? Don’t know. That I want it to happen.

October 8th, 2012 9:46 pm

8. Art

Poor pitching and poor offense. All the big bugaboos that the Giants have been experiencing all season came back to haunt them. Shaky bullpen, lack of offense at home…you name it and you saw it displayed in these 2 playoff games. Although the Reds are a very good team, the fact that the Giants went out so meekly is what is the most disappointing. They never put up a fight and the great crowd at the park could never get into the game.

October 8th, 2012 10:06 pm

Your column today Lowell was especially well written and entertaining. I must admit that you are at your best when stuff is hitting the fan.
    The funeral procession began in the eighth inning led by the fans exiting the ballpark.
    As for Krukow and his happy talk spin. it’s time for him to wake up and die right.

October 8th, 2012 10:35 pm

Is it just me or is it weird of society that Sandusky will go to a club fed,have a TV and cable to watch Penn State,AND that the college is now accepting pats on the back by ESPN announcers for “Making a comeback?”
    What the hell?

October 9th, 2012 8:00 am

More sad news..Alex Karras deeply ill. Like Yesterday he told the world during the MNF games intro,That the Raiders Otis Sistrunk was “From the University of Mars”. Yes,at 14 or so,I cried tears of laughter..and my stomach hurt too.

October 9th, 2012 9:08 am

12. Marshall

I’m so pleased you wrote this column Lowell. Not because I’m trying to be snotty and say “Hey Lowell is a fool because he was wrong!”, but because looking back now following the championship parade and celebration I remember what the mood was like after those first two games to Cincy. It felt like the end. I tuned in to watch game three of the NLDS simply because I didn’t want to miss the last game of the season, but there was no joy in it. And then they won and the joy flickered, and they won again and it began to rekindle, and so on and so forth. It is the discouragement, the epic collapses, the heartbreakers that make the wins that much more significant.

November 2nd, 2012 1:48 pm